Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Debit/Credit card skimmer warning

Well, this is the second time this year we've been hit with credit card fraud. My credit union fraud department called yesterday to ask if we were in VA. Nope. Someone skimmed the information from our bank card and made a new card with our account number. Apparently it was used to buy $177 worth of groceries at a Food Lion.

Please learn the signs of tampering with fuel pump card readers and ATM skimmers. I always look for the signs, but DH didn't know to. I believe the information was stolen when he stopped at a fuel station off the highway on his way home from a training class for his job.

Just a warning that things are getting worse out there in the world and it happens so fast. We were very lucky that the bank put a hold on the account immediately, because a second transaction for $165 was attempted and declined.

With a police incident report filed, we will be reimbursed for the lost funds, but it's still a hassle.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Thanks for the reminder..

Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Can you share some of the signs of tampering so we can watch for them?

Phil
Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Left Coast

I stay away from places that aren't open 24 hrs, for 1....use inside ATM if needed, watch for any signs of scotch tape or a clean area around card reader....there's more, but everyone has their own criteria.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Left Coast

One more thing...now there are card readers that can/will read a credit card with the chip........and, it can be in your pocket....not in use...
Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Can you share some of the signs of tampering so we can watch for them?

Phil
Phil, this is a great article with lots of pictures of what to look for at a fuel pump.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/gas-pump-skimmers/

Also, when I use an ATM or fuel pump, I wiggle the card reader. If it's loose, it's a fake. Where you insert the card is a part of the machine, not an add on. The hardest to spot are the skimmers that cover the entire face of the ATM.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

We've had two different debit cards (non-chip) hit four times
this year, and one credit card have three fraudulent charges. When I insert my debit card at a gas station I wiggle the receptacle about to see if it's been tampered with, and cover the keypad with one hand while entering my pin. Don't know if it helps, but I'm trying. My bank told me things will be safer with the chipped cards.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

I own a business and got hit twice now taking stolen credit cards info. They remake these cards to match ID that they carry and it is almost impossible to detect them. This is what happen to us the retailer - we get a notice of charge back for the amount of the purchase plus a trans fee to take the money back. The money is put in limbo and we are suppose prove it was the real owner of the card that made the charge. We go to our video system and grab video of the charge and slip that the person signed and turn over to the police/credit card company. If the signature doesn't match or the picture we provided are not the real owner we the business owner lose the money not the credit card company. So if retailer ask for ID don't upset he just trying to protect himself from loss.

I understand both side of this since I had 9,000 charged in one purchase on the east coast in state that I had visited since 1968.

Now on the card we use while traveling we set a 100 alert on the card. if someone charges more than 100.00 we get text. Yes, it is pain to get text but it worth it to me...
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

We had our chip card skimmed up in Pismo Beach we are pretty sure we know where. I have now wrapped them in foil. We have always been careful check all cards twice a day. Never use the debt card as a credit card your whole account could be wiped out as they don't have the protection of a credit card. There was a guy sitting at a table with his computer while we were picking up a pizza. The problem with U.S. chip cards is you don't need a pin unlike the rest of the world so they don't even need to touch the card just be within 15 feet if they have a reader.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

It's scary out there, so DH and I are going all cash for day to day purchases. We never use the bank card when we travel out of town, just the credit card, but that got stolen from a website purchase where the company servers had a virus. There's no easy way to protect yourself, you just have to be vigilant always.

CWSWine, that is exactly what happened to us - a new card with our account number was made and used within 2 days of DH purchasing fuel.