Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Incheon, S. Korea

Did anyone go to the Formula 1 race in Texas?

I live in Korea and am an F1 nut. I would like to find out what it was like at the new track in Texas.
We went to the Korean race this year, camping of course!

Our old Starcraft popup is in the back (we now have a 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126)

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #2

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I love F1 racing and only wish there was more of it here to compete with the NASCAR round-track mania, which I fail to understand. F1 racing is a whole different world!

I enjoyed your pics on camping in S Korea, and would love to see more of your adventures!
Thanks!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

(+1 on the nascar comment - turn left, turn left, turn left, what? oh yeah, turn left)

used to be a huge fan of F1 but not for a few years - I didn't even know there was a new track in Austin, let alone a F1 race (until I saw a small article on-line & I live just east of Austin) - guess it's sorta like that ad where a bunch of Texans hear a fellow talk about a Salsa that's made in NYC : "NEW YORK CITY ! get a rope !" - these folks are into nascar (and ricer racing on city streets).....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

Myself and my Lt are looking into camping at the race in Texas. Not sure what it will cost but I'll keep you guys posted.
Fl-diamond8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

This year's race was pricey hotel-wise. Can't you get the info on their web page?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #6

I was at the F1 race in Austin a couple weeks ago. The race and track were fantastic. Lots of great people from all over the world. The track access and crowd management was a little less than fantastic but there were about 120,000 people there on race day and over 80,000 people there on the practice and qualifying days. They have a 10 yr contract with F1 so I am sure they will work out some of the "pains" over the next few years. I am sure F1 is by far the biggest weekend of the year for the track. There were some very nice permanent camping pads along the back stretch, which was the only camping I saw. My guess is they are mostly purchased sites. While that would be nice, I dont think the view and site lines were that great from the sites, especially with the F1 cars coming by at 200 mph. The view from most of the stands was great. I could see almost half the 3.5 mile track from my seat. Overall a great time and I can cross it off my bucket list and of course make plans for the next race. They are in the planning stages for a race in Newark, NJ with the NYC skyline in the background.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

That's great! It looked fantastic-a stark contrast to the Korean F1. We finally went to that race this year because I thought it would be last one.
Have you read Joe Saward? He is my only real source for F1 info.
I also watch the British Sky F1 broadcast instead of watching the low definition Star Sports broadcast. It's so much better!
Where are you, in Texas?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #8

I havent read Joe Saward and get most of my F1 info from the Speed Channel broadcasts here in the US, although the broadcast rights are moving to NBC Sports next year. I am in North Carolina and so we flew into Austin for the race and festivities. I have a neighbor from Holland and another from England so they are responsible for getting me more interested in recent years.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

So could you rent those rv pads?
Fl-diamond8312 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formula one, racing