Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Does anyone use a kitchen cart?

I'm considering getting a kitchen cart with drawers. LOL, Yes, I do have my ironing board, but it has no drawers! I found this online today and think it might be just the ticket! The 233S has no drawers to speak of and I just really need them.

So, the question is ~ do any of you use anything like this? I know I could get less expensive plastic versions, but think in the long run the quality of a wood product would be a reasonable investiment. Yes, it's heavy, but that would not be an issue for us. I would install a couple of loops to keep it from moving/tipping while we are traveling.

Thoughts?http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/49/h...847781/1/1.jpg
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

It seems I am talking to myself here, but that's nothing new~~~~ So, I ended up getting a cabinet at Lowes. It is 31" tall, about 17" deep and 24" wide. Yes, it's a bit bigger than I had hoped, however, I think it will suit me nicely. I was able to pull it far enough away to use the outlet. I am not going to be using the first two doors under the side bunk near the refrigerator, but the items I have stored there aren't a big deal, they'll be used once in a blue moon and I can get to them. I used some baskets and clear shoebox containers. I also purchased a drawer kit to hold the cooking utinsels I didn't have a good place for. The top of the cabinet will be much needed counter space.

I am also considering setting up an outdoor camp kitchen space, although I'm not convinced on that one ~ we'll see
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

how are you going to secure it when traveling?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Friends had this in their old camper but no longer needed it in their new one so they gave it to us. Fits right under our countertop extension and works great for the dogs leash, collar, towel for muddy paws, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	27363  
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Thats cool the way it fits in there It seems quite stable and is made of pressed wood so I don't expect it to go anywhere....... I will secure the doors with a bungie when traveling.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #6

Surprising how thing move about when traveling down bumpy, rough roads; that's why most sofas and chairs come with tie-down straps. The dinette chairs actually moved around until we strapped them down. Keep an eye on the cart...just in case.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

We have one in our toy hauler. I use two ratchet straps to secure it in the cargo area, right next to the golf cart, and then wheel it into the kitchen area when we are not mobile. My wife loves it, and makes a very nice storage/work area in the kitchen.

Ours is actually a good bit larger, it has two cabinets on the ends, and three or four drawers in the middle.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #8

We have thought of how to attach it to the cabinet behind it; it really wouldn't hurt...... Thanks for the info

dj - our particular floor plan really has no kitchen IMO, so it really needed something!

I rearranged the stuff in the cabinets / closet last night and everything has a home now with space to spare for food, etc. Even created some space for DH's "stuff" Right now, everything is put neatly away and I am hopeful we are set! I guess next campout we'll see

Thanks again everyone~
Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
dj - our particular floor plan really has no kitchen IMO, so it really needed something!
I know what you mean, the cargo area of the toy hauler is great for hauling the golf cart with us, and makes a nice private bedroom with the two queen bunks, but the living room and kitchen areas suffer from lack of space because of it. The cart definitely makes a nice useful addition.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

DH has always been intrigued by toyhaulers but we have no toys to haul......
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

Clancy,
Pictures, Pictures we need pictures. That is a great idea. Our 5w has a center island and the wife loves it. It gives us extra counter space and storage. But without it I would be doing what you did.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
MI Camperz

I like the cabinet you posted. I like that it has a lot of drawers. To keep drawers from rolling out, you could use a pole or rope slid behind the handles (need to be installed) to keep them snugly in place.
To keep the entire thing from moving, that's another thing. Straps seem reasonable.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #13

pix

Ok, so this is the cabinet I got from Lowes. $88 + $20 for the drawer kit. Excellent value IMO.

The pix show the drawer at the top to hold cooking utinsels. The two shelves below hold items separated by category (dog stuff) (first aid/meds) (heating pad) (extra fuses, etc) you get the picture The top of the cabinet is as important or maybe more so than the cabinet itself.

A pic shows it holding my coffee pot and a really neat and sturdy caddy I got at Sam's for $14.98 to hold paper plates, silverware and knives. It comes with a handle which I did not attached due to wanting to store under the sink. It fits perfectly w/o the handle.

You can kinda see how it fits in the 233S. I kinda wish it were a touch smaller but, really, it meets our needs so well that I'm ok with it. It's a personal thing, for some folks that space may be better utilized for something else. I turned the pix to the correct orientation but when they uploaded, the correction didn't stick. sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	27592   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	27593   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	27594   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	27595  
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Bodz ~ I liked the cart but ultimately went with a non moving cabinet. I still like that cart tho, wouldn't mind having it at home!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Graduate Member

wow - i like both ideas! I'm just so hesitant to eat up any more floor space in a class C... But really cool idea!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

RT - Love your Class C! I fell in love with a similar floorplan from Jayco once upon a time...... We had a Class C for about 5 years and I really miss it! It was, without a doubt, the best camper ever and I wasn't crazy about the floorplan! Our little Roo is great for us now (and more budget friendly) but I do have some great memories in our jayco.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #17

Ok, so when I'm wrong, I might as well fess up....... Sirsea ~ you were right. kaboom...... over it went. Thanking my lucky stars a - it didn't break, b - it didn't break anything else and c - it didn't make a mess that had to clean it up. So, we learned we have to move it in such a way it can't fall over.

Lesson learned......
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #18

Glad to hear there was no breakage of anything!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #19

This is what we ended up with; it's working nicely. Would prefer on wheels but would prolly be a pain to travel with. We have to move so it doesn't tip ehen traveling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	29570  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #20

We wanted and island. Bought an upper kitchen cabinet @ Lowes....added 3" rubber wheels to the bottom that lock. Built a top for it....added one more shelf to the inside. Now...holds a lot..roll it out of the way when not needed. I attach it a wall and use a rachet strap to secure it. Never had a problem.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote