Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
Yes, and that is why we now have a motorhome. Towing gets easier the more you do, but it was never fun after five years. Now we are facing the issue of wanting to tow a car along, but I think that will be easy due to the size advantage the motorhome has as a tow vehicle.
Gotta say pulling the toad along has its own set of situations that can be tense . Backing up is a no no, your lucky if you see the toad every so often(i have the back up camera on all the time) and it generally pulls so easy it isnt hard to forget its there.Parking lots ,gas stations,rest areas are all as problematic as towing a trailer. Situation awareness is the key and add just a touch of nervousness to keep you on your toes and its fun. I will say that backing into a site unhooked and setting up is so nice in a MH
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #22

Not at all, After over 25 years of over the road experience. Some times at different camp grounds I wonder how some people manage their RV's
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #23

Nervous not really. But I am concerned about the others around as they pay little attention to a 22,000 lb plus vehicle near them. I hate it when 20 bikes pile up next to me side by side literally inches from the trailer sides. I have had some that act like they are trying to play chicken / big trucks are farther away........ Sorry but I like the states that do not allow side by side bike riding.

I hate parking lots

I learned to drive a stick on a 1975 ton dump trunk carrying 6 tons and a 67 Plymouth 3 on the tree................. also got an appreciation for driving around big trucks from that.. I have owned several trailers for the past 30 plus years so pulling trailer has been common

It does get more comfortable once you get settled in. My biggest problem is the DW and she just rides ......... She does not like the ride, the noise or the traffic.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Nervous not really. But I am concerned about the others around as they pay little attention to a 22,000 lb plus vehicle near them. I hate it when 20 bikes pile up next to me side by side literally inches from the trailer sides. I have had some that act like they are trying to play chicken / big trucks are farther away........ Sorry but I like the states that do not allow side by side bike riding.

I hate parking lots

I learned to drive a stick on a 1975 ton dump trunk carrying 6 tons and a 67 Plymouth 3 on the tree................. also got an appreciation for driving around big trucks from that.. I have owned several trailers for the past 30 plus years so pulling trailer has been common

It does get more comfortable once you get settled in. My biggest problem is the DW and she just rides ......... She does not like the ride, the noise or the traffic.
I look for the darker/oil splatterd pavement ahead indicating a dip in the road coming up and try to time it with the DW's sipping coffee.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
Broken Toe

Not even the slightest bit nervous. I know my skills. I know my vehicle. There are no places that I can get into that I cannot get out of. Towing is only difficult because you allow it to be difficult in your mind. Like a little kid getting a shot. They work it up in their mind so much that they will practically jump off the table in fear when the nurse comes in with it. They make it much worse than it really is.

The only thing that get extra attention while towing is my Exhaust Gas Temps. Those can get pretty high when hauling the camper.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #26

Thank you for the responses. I have read them 2x+ and see some reassuring info here.
I am not so concerned of what I do, but what others do in front/beside you. As posted...cut right back in front of you and then hit the brakes. Riding in a construction zone with concrete barricade walls on both sides and an eager bus or truck driver crowding your lane in an area of the road that is uneven/temporary. I have and do tow other trailers(just as wide), but you can see around them, they are not as heavy and much less valuable. I will say my problems aren't steering the trailer....yes I do struggle with parking sometimes, but DW and I are getting better each time we go out. We traveled 600 miles last week and I was more relaxed the second half. No question. I feel like I need a zanax or something when I get into a congested 6-8-10 lane interstate. This makes me want an alternate route. We towed through areas of Dallas last weekend...it wasn't too bad this time.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #27

My favorite park is always the beginning of the journey. Everything has been double and tripled checked. A far as big freeways go when they merge together usually you can stay in what was the slow lane before the merge and at some point after the merge when you are in the middle of everything the right lanes begin to drop away, and you end up in the slow lane again without ever having to change lanes. Makes me think of the I 5 / 805 merge in San Diego. Gets pretty wide there. Trust your equipment and trust that you checked it all before leaving and at stops, take all the time you need, and don't trust the drivers around you. Stay safe and proceed with caution. If you overshoot an off ramp go a few up the road until you know you can turn around. It's all part of the journey. We call the return part of the journey "the drive of shame" because it's a shame the fun is about over and it's time to go home. It is still fun though.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #28

I don't get nervous. I do take my time and my DW helps me with navigation. I have driven many miles in semis and travel trailers. Just take your time, keep you speed down and pay attention. If you ever question whether you are going to make it in a turn or clear something just stop and figure it out. Don't worry about blocking traffic they can wait.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #29

As mentioned by others - not nervous but all of my senses and alertness are in a heightened state. With our new TV, the pull was much easier but the tow dynamics were different than the Tahoe. Definitely makes me put my defensive driving skills to use! I am normally a conservative driver but become even more so when towing.

Defensive driving is a major skill set that all who tow trailers should have. On the way home from the northern New Mexico mountains last Friday, some knucklehead in a Tahoe pulled out right in front of us in Dalhart. Never looked right at us at all, just pulled out. Good thing we were only going 35 mph or I would have a nice Tahoe hood ornament. Then, they stopped suddenly right in front of us to make a leisurely right turn. I was watching them and knew they were not looking at me and were going to pull out right in front of us. I started to hit the brakes when they pulled out.

The rest of the trip was uneventful except for the strong gusty crosswinds. Slowing down to 55 mph smoothed that out. We don't push too hard, anyway. A long trip would involve a 500 to 600 mile day. On longer trips, we will only do about 400 miles per day max depending on the terrain. I know my limits. You should know yours, too.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #30

Not nervous at all unless someone else does something stupid. I love the whole process from planning the trip to which campground we are going to stop for the night. Then the joy of setting up for the night. It’s all a pleasure to me.
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I look for the darker/oil splatterd pavement ahead indicating a dip in the road coming up and try to time it with the DW's sipping coffee.
Okay, that's it. I have now offically put you on the "naughty" list that I'll be sending north in December...

For me, I'm nervous driving - whether there is a trailer behind me or not. With all the chuckleheads paying as much attention to their phone as the road and the decline in civility...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamike1 View Post
Not nervous at all unless someone else does something stupid. I love the whole process from planning the trip to which campground we are going to stop for the night. Then the joy of setting up for the night. It’s all a pleasure to me.
And we don't decide where we're going until we get up in the morning, then start looking for a place to spend the night after about 250 miles - usually a Walmart.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #33

Nope... Except the first time I took our first TT on the road, a 'lil 20 footer, I thought were were gonna die on route to the CG less than 10 miles away. I've since towed a 29' TT thousands of miles on all kinds of twisty, steep and/or narrow roads in WA, OR & CA and never had a problem. Waaay fun and can't get enough of it!

Two important things:

(1) equipment & setup. For a TT, use a good WDH and sway control, make sure it is adjusted properly and do all the other related things to help control sway and improve handling like correct psi in TV & trailer's tires, not exceeding TV capacities, etc. Adding shocks to a trailer helps a lot which is what we did. If running ST tires, treat them properly to reduce risk of a blowout (stay under the tire's max. speed rating, never tow under-inflated and never tow overloaded). Replace P tires with LT on the TV. Go to a scale and get your trailer, TV and tongue/pin weights for your records and to ensure you haven't exceeded any ratings/capacities.

(2) know your RV's width relative to the road. Stop on a quiet road somewhere, get out and see how much road you have left on each side and adjust your driving if needed. Then always simply keep yourself pointed straight down the center of the road and don't flinch at narrow bridges, parked cars, intersections, etc. It's just that easy!

Oh, and if you encounter strong gusting side winds, slow way down and don't try to plow on ahead. It's not the same as trying to control sway from passing trucks on an interstate and you could either lose control or get blown clear over.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Thus, the name Wobbles!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #35
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
I suggest pulling a trailer every where you go for a while. When I got my learners permit I started pulling low boys and stock trailers. There was almost always a trailer hooked up to my truck. I learned to drive while pulling a trailer.
The more you do it, the easier it is.

My husband grew up towing all kids of stuff. But now we have this MH and he can't see what's going on the road behind him. The side mirrors aren't good enough.

He really couldn't stand the idea after we bought a Subaru Forester to tow. So yesterday he got Toy Cars to install an always on "look behind" camera.

Lack of gauges bothers him so he is working on an automotive diagnostic thing , an ODB, and an iPad app that will show all kinds of gauges. He's thrilled.

I think I might end up doing all the driving so he can observe the monitors about the tires, the gauges and the road. [emoji8]
Old 09-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I only get nervous backing up when my wife is next to me. If she isn't there, I can back up first time with no issues but takes me 4-5 attempts if she is with me. I guess its performance anxiety?
You are not alone. I have to back our camper down the 1,100 ft driveway, down the hill and around the curve. By myself with no help is usually less than two minutes. With the DW's help, just over 5 minutes on average. [emoji22]
Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #37

Driving in general makes me nervous. I've yet to be the one to drive while towing our TT. I did it with our first popup once.

I know I need to get over it but I have a lot of anxiety regarding driving due to a couple of car accidents as a teen (once when I was driving and once as a passenger).

Today I actually had to back up down a curved driveway and go down a slight hill. I had to do this many times as a teen (it's my parents house) and I would nearly have a panic attack doing it. Today I got down to "mildly anxious" instead of "full-blown panic" so I'm definitely improving.
juhesihcaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 AM   #38

Well pulling that trailer in my sig, definitely made me nervous, i have pulled trailers in the past but never something this heavy or long. Not to mention backing up is troubling even on the smaller trailers (since i dont do it often enough), lucky for me i decided to full time live in it vs apartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6793.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	153014  
Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #39
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Generally not nervous--but very aware. I do get a bit tense when there is shoulder or lane construction and they use the concrete barricades to narrow down the lanes.
Very well said. Caution/awareness really should ALWAYS be part of our towing experience - but having towed for about 16 years, yes it does get easier.

One thing I'll say, pulling a fifth wheel makes me much less nervous than a bumper pull. I always felt like I was getting pulled into an 18-wheeler when they'd pass me out on the Interstate highways. Not so with fifth wheels.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing