Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
This will be our first camping with our new TT,and want to take our dogs,(3),with us.just don't know if they would run off.I let them outside the front yard where they stay close,but camping
Is completely different.They stay in the back yard when were at work with no problems.
Would like to hear from y'all on your experiences and ideas.
Thanks!
RC
Be aware that some campground only allow two dogs per site.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Train your dogs not to bark. Nothing annoys camping neighbors more than barking dogs.
Amen to that one!! NOTHING ruins a camping experience more than a dog that barks incessantly; except perhaps the construction site style generator.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #23

We travel with a Lab and an English Setter. They are always on a leash of some kind, depending on the activity. We even keep them on a leash when they swim. We would be devastated if they got lost or bothered someone who didn't want to be bothered. We also always have their shot records but have never been asked for them. At the campsite, we use a long training lead attached to something immovable, but when out and about, they are on the required 6 foot leash.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
This will be our first camping with our new TT,and want to take our dogs,(3),with us.just don't know if they would run off.I let them outside the front yard where they stay close,but camping
Is completely different.They stay in the back yard when were at work with no problems.
Would like to hear from y'all on your experiences and ideas.
Thanks!
RC
Your front yard is boring
Just wait till they get out in the woods with all those new smells, sights and noises!
LOL!!
Write a list out of the 'things' your dogs should be able to do to enable you to have a worry free camping trip with them.
Practice each item ( or behavior) on the list until each of your 3 dogs obeys them perfectly.
If you have trouble with something, get a dog trainer to come in and give you some pointers.
Probably if you have 3 dogs, one is always the instigator so start working on that one first.

One of the many things that I love about camping is the ability to bring my dog.
However, this feeling has a direct relationship to the obedience level of my Lab; if she was less obedient, I know I would dread taking her. But after many, many, many hours of training I can say that I have the 'perfect' camping dog

IMHO
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote