Originally Posted by TTNewbees
Noticed the CW add showed the dometic stainless steel ice maker for $169.99, cheapest I have seen.
Anyone have any experience with this ice maker, good/bad?
We don't have this particular ice maker but have a very similar one that is about 4 years old. The price seems to be very good.
We love our ice maker and use it on most camping trips to fill the ice chest full of soda's and libations.
I think you will find the investment is well worth the money if you realize the limitations of the machine.
1. It makes ice but does not keep it cold so the cubes start melting as soon as they drop into the "basket".
2. The unit will stop making ice once the basket is full. If you are away from your campsite for a long period of time, you're obviosuly not there to dump the basket. Hence, you are not making new ice.
3. The warmer it is, the smaller the ice it makes. We start our ice maker as soon as we can when setting up camp and the cooler our rig gets, the better the ice. I don't think it would perform well outdoors if the temp is over 80 degrees.
4. Noise level is moderate but nothing the a/c, heater, stereo or T.V. won't overcome. (Unless you're sitting right next to it.)
5. It takes a little effort to keep the ice supply going. The water resevoir needs to be filled every couple of hours and the ice basket needs to be dumped every 90 minutes or so.
We live in Texas and on most trips we do not have to buy ice if we are relaxing at the campsite most of the time. If your camping trip involves a lot of sight seeing and you're not going to be there to make ice, be prepared to buy an occasional bag of ice. Still, well worth the money for us!