Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Always Learning

Dually parking

As a big opponent of dually misinformation- mostly being that parking is a hassle due to their width (it's usually height and length that is the problem). Even I can't deny that it is never an issue. My work's parking garage is being repaired and they have a bunch of spots blocked off. It means more people are parked out in the backlot than normal. Combine that with my late nights and late mornings, well- you take what you can get.

I'm against the curb on the opposite side and am even up on the remains of a snow pile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423065103.359069.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	69178
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423065145.213556.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	69180
Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Once driving my dad's dually both tires were on the paint line in a new parking lot. Made a fast trip in and out to make sure a ding didn't happen when I was driving.

It's getting harder with cc 2500 nowadays. They are shrinking them I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

I always try to park way out in the lot to be away from other cars with my dually. Never fails when I come out their will be 5 cars parked around me.
Nights Camped 2014-35
bbritt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

In my younger days driving a 1/2 ton (still do), I've seen dual's take two parking spaces before and thought what a hog or, he thinks he's got something special. Your picture is worth a thousand words. And, yes dually's are special!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

We park far back in the lots and try to have a cart corral somewhere close. We take four spaces usually and park in the middle of them. Folks have parked by us but they have to be really parking challenged to cross over the lines to get next to us.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

That's what I like when your at Disney the parking lot cast members always tell me to take up 2 parking spots(width wise) when I took the dually, now with the Smart it does not matter, but I feel your pain.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

my crew cab dually is my daily driver. I feel your pain. I usually park way out, and take 2 spaces. not just to prevent door dings tho. sometimes the lanes are too narrow, if I had cars parked on either side of me I could not make the turn to exit the parking space. People who have never driven/parked duallys are clueless tho and think we are just being space hogs.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Ependydad,did you fold in the Mirrors before or after you parked? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Ependydad,did you fold in the Mirrors before or after you parked? Youroo!!

I do it after usually- helps people get past the truck and I feel like it takes a worry away from them as they un-park.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
That's what I like when your at Disney the parking lot cast members always tell me to take up 2 parking spots(width wise) when I took the dually, now with the Smart it does not matter, but I feel your pain.
The parking garage attendants at Universal Studios were good about directing us to an appropriate parking spot for our dually too.

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
Always Learning

I can say the exact opposite for Seaworld's Aquatica water park. They melted down when I broke formation and first tried taking 2 spots. They could barely contain themselves when I wanted to back up over a grassy median. The lacky had to radio a supervisor. He didn't see the humor in my offer to just park it in their bus spots.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 AM   #12

My one ton is old,ugly,and a little beat up,(runs like a top though) so most people go out of THERE way to NOT park next to mine out of fear I wouldn't care if I hit them
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I can say the exact opposite for Seaworld's Aquatica water park. They melted down when I broke formation and first tried taking 2 spots. They could barely contain themselves when I wanted to back up over a grassy median. The lacky had to radio a supervisor. He didn't see the humor in my offer to just park it in their bus spots.
That's funny we had kind of the same thing happen at Busch Gardens in Va. took a little while but they finally understood, it wasn't like we got to park any closer actually farther away.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

Parking at the (NASCAR HOF) is Easy to drive in BUT you will find that you must remove Both rear outside tires to make the (EXIT Turn) by the ticket booth! Youroo!! Not that many Nascar Fans drive (Long & Wide Pickups)!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Parking at the (NASCAR HOF) is Easy to drive in BUT you will find that you must remove Both rear outside tires to make the (EXIT Turn) by the ticket booth! Youroo!! Not that many Nascar Fans drive (Long & Wide Pickups)!

The parking garage in Key West was like this. It had to be mere inches getting through the ticket booth. Crazy tight.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
My one ton is old,ugly,and a little beat up,(runs like a top though) so most people go out of THERE way to NOT park next to mine out of fear I wouldn't care if I hit them

Reminds me of some advice my dad gave me when I was learning to drive.

"If you're trying to merge and nobody's letting you in avoid the old, beat up cars and aim for who ever's got the newest and shiniest. They're the most likely to avoid hitting you."

Back to the topic at hand:

E-Dad, be glad you don't have to park at the Detroit airport. I have to put my wheels on the line like that with my non-dually 1/2 ton just to fit in a spot. And I almost never see two spots available side by side. It's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to get a dually when I look for my next truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Dually

I can't even make it through my banks drive up windows or the ATM without getting out to fold in and fold out the mirrors on my 2500 HD. Not a chance of getting through with a dually.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #18

As has been mentioned depends on the parking lot...... In some the spaces are so short (and the aisles narrow) half the truck is in the aisle unless you can put part of it in the space in front / behind you. I try to park out but that does not always work. (Sometimes it does take 4 spaces in lots designed for mini cars) Never had a big issue as yet if I have a couple of inches on each side its good.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #19

One other thing I found out through the rule book on son's University a few years ago that in some localities it is not legal to back into to parking spaces. There it would earn you a citation. (mainly because the parking decal was on the rear) I almost always back in when in a pickup it is just easier.

I asked a police officer friend about it he said it is not an uncommon in lots of areas but rarely enforced. ( unless revenue is needed )

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
Always Learning

I can't imagine NOT backing into spots. 'round here, it's about the only way to go with the spots being so short!

Tags
parking