Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

falling

Over the last few months, I've used humor to help cope with losing my leg. But right now I am not seeing anything funny in losing my balance this morning and falling. It is rather scary being in the yard and nothing to grab onto and crawling in the rain. I was getting too comfortable with my crutches, and not being careful. Guess a reality check is needed sometimes.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

I wish I were a weeble.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

Hell I have two legs and do the same thing.Worse is I don't drink any more. Hang in there.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwise View Post
Over the last few months, I've used humor to help cope with losing my leg. But right now I am not seeing anything funny in losing my balance this morning and falling. It is rather scary being in the yard and nothing to grab onto and crawling in the rain. I was getting too comfortable with my crutches, and not being careful. Guess a reality check is needed sometimes.
I hope you can use some humor after you get your fall out of your mind again. I remember when I walking up a little steep slope in my yard and heard a pop. ripped my musell. had to crawl back to the front door. Not fun to do and it wasn't raining. Best part is you made it back on your own. Take care and take it easy, may you have a blessed Xmas....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Hang in there. I remember when I broke my femur two years ago this Christmas. Initially I thought I might never walk too well again. It was an amazing feeling a week or so later when I could actually lift that leg an inch or so off the bed. What a joy when the catheter came out and I could use a walker to get to the washroom. Things are not bad now and even though I may have a limp forever there is always something to look forward to. I never lost my leg but I guess my point is you just have to take your time and approach each little setback as a challenge and a learning experience. From what I have read so far you sound like a great person who will overcome all obstacles. Hope to meet you somewhere down the road. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #6

I know you've been thru alot the last few months. You're sense of humor as been inspiring. But, you've got to be careful and and not get too overconfident. Hopefully you keep your cell phone on you at all times so you can get assistance if/when you need it.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #7

What a good idea. I wish I had thought of that a couple of times in my recovery stage. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Sorry for your loss. If you are in fairly good health other wise, learn to 'go with' the fall, as in 'duck and roll'. It seems that more people end up getting hurt trying to 'catch themselves' and injuring something else. Think of it in terms of a football player 'rolling WITH the fall'.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

I have both legs but because of extensive nerve damage in my back,I have no feeling in them and at times ,one will "fold up" when I am putting wieght on it. Its been that way for about 15 yrs but has been getting worse as I get older. The "looseing balance" thing happens quite often too. Going up/down stairs is a real chore which is one big reason we bought the toy hauler.
Anyway, my solution to this is an "assistance dog".The siberian husky in my avitarhas been trained to follow me everywhere,with or without a leash and harness.If I go down,she will move up tight against my front side,lock her legs and let me use her as a way to get back up.She is not trained to be defensive or any of that and will move aside if another person comes to assist me.
I guess my point is that if your condition is such that you will always be the way you are,you might consider this option. Good luck whatever you do!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote