Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Fastways Zip coiled breakaway cable

Is anyone using this on their fifth wheel. Need to replace standard braided wire one and came across this. Any comments please
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

I am using the coiled up cable on my 5er so that it doesn't get caught up on the pin system. It has worked well.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Just keep in mind that it should be short enough to engage the brakes BEFORE the pin completely leaves the back of the hitch. You should try to keep the pinbox on the truck regardless of the damage. You sure don't want the trailer getting loose and hitting some innocent bystander.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

So Coot, how short is your cable? And will it make all turns? Seems it would have to be very short so as to pull the brake pin before the hitch pin is out of the pin box. Would think if the hitch pin is still within the pickup box, that would still keep the trailer from actually breaking away from the truck and the trailer brakes would still be actuated by the brake pin switch. I will have to really look at mine as it is how it came from the factory and seems too long to pull the brake pin before it does a lot of damage to the truck (least of my worries) or the trailer does a lot of sliding around and flips the truck. Right now the cable is 18-22 inches long and I have wondered about it being too long.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Fastways recommends the 6 ft. Cable for fifth wheels. I have the gooseneck setup for my truck and camper. I understand what is said about the length and I would agree that there need to be some length for turning. For me, with all of the weight resting down on the gooseneck ball, if the camper should separate from it then I don't think the cable and breaking system will be enough stop a catastrophe. Hopefully safety chains will keep that from happening
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

I'm using the Fastways 4 ft'er on The Beast. It uncoils just enuff to allow turning without pulling the pin and stays up and out of the way of cargo\wood in the bed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

Just curious, but if the pin comes detached from the hitch and the trailer brakes get but on at max (when the breakaway pin gets pulled) is the trailer not going to get pulled right out of the truck box because the trailer is braking faster than the truck?

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
So Coot, how short is your cable? And will it make all turns? Seems it would have to be very short so as to pull the brake pin before the hitch pin is out of the pin box. Would think if the hitch pin is still within the pickup box, that would still keep the trailer from actually breaking away from the truck and the trailer brakes would still be actuated by the brake pin switch. I will have to really look at mine as it is how it came from the factory and seems too long to pull the brake pin before it does a lot of damage to the truck (least of my worries) or the trailer does a lot of sliding around and flips the truck. Right now the cable is 18-22 inches long and I have wondered about it being too long.
Just barely long enough to hook over the hitch release bar. With the Sidewinder, the breakaway box does not swivel.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Just curious, but if the pin comes detached from the hitch and the trailer brakes get but on at max (when the breakaway pin gets pulled) is the trailer not going to get pulled right out of the truck box because the trailer is braking faster than the truck?
You are correct, but the whole idea is to stop the trailer immediately before it can travel very far and possibly into another vehicle.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Campfire Master

I've been using one for several years and love it. No cable flopping around back there.

AVid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led