Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
I am a woman who has been camping with her kids in a pop up for 10 years. I just ordered a small hybrid trailer. I am a little nervous about towing and managing a larger trailer. How many women out there do it on their own? Every thread seems to have a couple attached to it. Is anyone out there a female managing a trailer?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Team
I do all the driving and backing (I taught my husband how to do it). I was able to hook up my old 30' tt by myself, set it up at a site by myself and dump my own tanks etc. I'm still adjusting to the new fiver but if necessary I could probably do it myself. How old are your kids? Get a set of walkie talkies and train them to be your ground guide. Give them each a list of set up and take down tasks to do. Then go back through and make sure it's all done. Lots of single women out their doing it. Enjoy

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #13
My kids had jobs setting up the Popup from ages 9 -12 yrs old on. They all know how to do all of it, but no longer fit comfortably in the camper. They are now 19- 23, and may not go on every trip, but still go on most. I know I will have to be able to manage the whole thing myself, but with their assistance. I figure we earned the move up to a trailer, and toyed with it for 2 years, but doing it is a lot different from just thinking it!
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Female mid-life crisis: going camping

I'm a 65 year old female - I do all the driving and backing. Spouse and I recently finished a trip from east coast to west coast and back again. Spouse falls asleep at the wheel, so I drive. Division of labor, he sets up and tears down. I can do it all and have. While spouse is connecting hoses I open slides and set up the insides. It can be intimidating; but, you can do it. Gets easier with practice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
Like Nike says: just do it!
I'm a 58 year old female. When I retired last year, I upgraded from my 91 Coleman tent trailer to a Surveyor 189. I figured I owed myself some comforts. I got a comfy queen sized mattress instead of a 4' foam pad. Also a bathroom, a refer, a microwave, and storage; none of which I had in a tent trailer.
It's me and my dogs for the most part. You do learn to manage by yourself. Set up and take down are about the same for both.
I'm thinking your main concern may be towing/backing. Mine was. You already know how to tow, just be prepared to make some adaptions. If you don't already do it, use your exterior mirrors exclusively. I bought a set of McKesh mirrors because my TV does not have tow mirrors. Forget that rear view mirror- all you'll see is the front of a trailer. My biggest fear was backing. So I went and practiced at a vacant shopping center. I get more and more comfortable with towing/backing with every trip.
You can do it. Enjoy...
Karanavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
Site Team
Ditto on getting out and doing it.

I'm a female RVer and I camp solo. The day I took delivery was my first time towing. It would been nice to have another set of eyes watching but I found towing pretty easy. Backing up into a tight area was challenging at first but with practice came experience.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
I am a 47 year old women and last year I decided to buy my first travel trailer (23 feet) and pick up truck to tow it with.
I have learned a lot in the past year on how to tow, back up, set up and whatever else I needed to know.
I told my husband one day, I am going to buy a travel trailer! He said , ok!
I like the fact that I can say, " let's go "some time I go by myself or with friends.
Best mid life crisis decision I made.

I don't get homesick. I get camp sick. Let's go!
2014 RAM 1500 Laramie Limited. 5.7 Hemi. 8-Speed trans. 4X4, short box.
2015 Tracer 230FBS Touring Edition. Named Bailey.
Days camped in 2015 = 52
Guylene is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, fema