Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Site Team

Female mid-life crisis: going camping

I read this article today from a woman who self-confessed that she bought a camper due to a mid-life crisis. I'm not sure I agree with her own assessment, but it does sound like she got bit by the camping bug we all do.

It's a fairly humorous article, especially about letting the camper roll into her neighbors yard....which I thought we can relate and enjoy (you may have to click the "read more" link in the article to see the full story:

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/my-midl...931737547.html

I may send her an invitation to FRF.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #2

As a woman of a certain age, I agree with the woman that wrote this article!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
NELA

As silly as it sounds, I was talking to Sneak a couple of weeks ago about buying a "tiny trailer" to go along with Buffy. You know, for those quick and easy spur-of-the-moment "let's just get away for the night" trips.

Yeah, he rolled his eyes just like all you guys reading this are doing.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

That was an awesome article. The great thing about camping is that you can get into it at any age and enjoy the hell out of it. Sort of like getting a motorcycle. ;-)

I felt that exact same freedom she's talking about, when we drove our 1986 Chevy Travelcraft back from Sandusky, Ohio close to 10 years ago. (smiling the whole way home) Buying our first RV is one of the best things we've ever done as a couple and a family.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

I went through a mid life crisis at 47 when I had my first heart attach. Bought a 40' sail boat had it and out fitted it for two years solid everything we owned and took off for 5 years to sale around the world. Lasted 5 years and 16 country's visited. Never returned for 5 years on USA soil. Still glad we did it being now 65, I could never have done it now. Sometimes they are good and people should do and follow there dreams. You just never know Now my health wouldn't let me fulfill that dream now after all the work and saving we did to plan out retirement and leave at 62.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Alleged curmudgeon

not necessarily, Weezer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
As silly as it sounds, I was talking to Sneak a couple of weeks ago about buying a "tiny trailer" to go along with Buffy. You know, for those quick and easy spur-of-the-moment "let's just get away for the night" trips.

You are not alone. My wife and I have have had the same conversation. Don't get me wrong, we would not trade the Windjammer and its comforts 90% of the time. However, there are a few occasions when we'd like the flexibility of a small rig to make a quick or longer road trip or just for "fun". The current problem is that there is an absolute craze (to the point of pure insanity) in the vintage trailer market. This has led to a large number of speculative flippers creating a cottage industry to service the demand of a hoard of buyers who willingly lay down too much coin for lipstick on a pig. The market presently makes entry into it that aspect of the hobby cost-prohibitive for those who would just like to pick up a serviceable little trailer cheap and fix it up just to have another tool in the camping arsenal. Unfortunately, many of the buyers in the current market are women seeking some independence for themselves, but what they are really buying is trouble, as they buy rigs which are neither road-worthy nor functional, many with latent defects which will soon render them little better than junk, absent the investment of many hours of work and/or thousands of dollars in repairs. Eventually the craze will pass and the bubble will burst, but my wife and I will probably be too old to really want to work on one at that point.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Great article....I've never heard the phrase "gramper" but may have to steal that from her!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #8

Totally relate with the author, seeing as we are two females who camp with our daughters but without our hubbies all the time. Did not go vintage, but we are just as able to hitch up our pup and swing on down the road. Have traveled 16000 miles in 5 years and plan many more. The menfolk can come if they want but we don't wait for them.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

I have a brother in law that he and his DW did just that and have ended up using it more than their larger unit.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
rbq

A few months ago I went to my granddaughters horse show. My kids were staying in her parents 5th wheel. Parked next to the 5er was a trailer like the one in article. It had been fully restored & was a beautiful work. Couldn't believe it & had to ask for a tour.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Summer2Go

I am a woman who has been camping with her kids in a pop up for 10 years. I just ordered a small hybrid trailer. I am a little nervous about towing and managing a larger trailer. How many women out there do it on their own? Every thread seems to have a couple attached to it. Is anyone out there a female managing a trailer?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I do all the driving and backing (I taught my husband how to do it). I was able to hook up my old 30' tt by myself, set it up at a site by myself and dump my own tanks etc. I'm still adjusting to the new fiver but if necessary I could probably do it myself. How old are your kids? Get a set of walkie talkies and train them to be your ground guide. Give them each a list of set up and take down tasks to do. Then go back through and make sure it's all done. Lots of single women out their doing it. Enjoy
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Summer2Go

My kids had jobs setting up the Popup from ages 9 -12 yrs old on. They all know how to do all of it, but no longer fit comfortably in the camper. They are now 19- 23, and may not go on every trip, but still go on most. I know I will have to be able to manage the whole thing myself, but with their assistance. I figure we earned the move up to a trailer, and toyed with it for 2 years, but doing it is a lot different from just thinking it!
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #14

Female mid-life crisis: going camping

I'm a 65 year old female - I do all the driving and backing. Spouse and I recently finished a trip from east coast to west coast and back again. Spouse falls asleep at the wheel, so I drive. Division of labor, he sets up and tears down. I can do it all and have. While spouse is connecting hoses I open slides and set up the insides. It can be intimidating; but, you can do it. Gets easier with practice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #15

gsanderson:
Like Nike says: just do it!
I'm a 58 year old female. When I retired last year, I upgraded from my 91 Coleman tent trailer to a Surveyor 189. I figured I owed myself some comforts. I got a comfy queen sized mattress instead of a 4' foam pad. Also a bathroom, a refer, a microwave, and storage; none of which I had in a tent trailer.
It's me and my dogs for the most part. You do learn to manage by yourself. Set up and take down are about the same for both.
I'm thinking your main concern may be towing/backing. Mine was. You already know how to tow, just be prepared to make some adaptions. If you don't already do it, use your exterior mirrors exclusively. I bought a set of McKesh mirrors because my TV does not have tow mirrors. Forget that rear view mirror- all you'll see is the front of a trailer. My biggest fear was backing. So I went and practiced at a vacant shopping center. I get more and more comfortable with towing/backing with every trip.
You can do it. Enjoy...
Karanavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Ditto on getting out and doing it.

I'm a female RVer and I camp solo. The day I took delivery was my first time towing. It would been nice to have another set of eyes watching but I found towing pretty easy. Backing up into a tight area was challenging at first but with practice came experience.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #17

I am a 47 year old women and last year I decided to buy my first travel trailer (23 feet) and pick up truck to tow it with.
I have learned a lot in the past year on how to tow, back up, set up and whatever else I needed to know.
I told my husband one day, I am going to buy a travel trailer! He said , ok!
I like the fact that I can say, " let's go "some time I go by myself or with friends.
Best mid life crisis decision I made.

I don't get homesick. I get camp sick. Let's go!
Guylene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, fema