Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
B47

Filibustering

I hope this is not considered to be out of bounds here in this thread and if it is, then I'm sure I will be notified.

In the grand state of Texas, an abortion bill was filibustered yesterday and while I will not get into.specifics of the bill, I learned some things about the art/act of filibustering that I never bothered to learn before.

The person doing the filibustering is required to speak continuously about the bill itself, cannot get off topic, must stand without support, cannot use the restroom, cannot eat or drink or be given any support from anyone.

The assembly is allowed three strikes during the filibuster if they wish to challenge the person doing the filibusterering on any points of order that the person may have violated. If all three strikes are upheld, the bill is dead.

I'm not a policitial activist by any means, but I was somewhat fascinated by the requirements placed upon the person doing the filibustering regarding the physical restraints e.g. No eating, drinking, must stand, etc. .

I guess that in addition to strongly believing in the merits, or lack of, in a bill, the person doing the filibuster must be in strong physical condition.

This was an interesting lesson for me.

BTW - the bill was defeated.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I hope this is not considered to be out of bounds here in this thread and if it is, then I'm sure I will be notified.

In the grand state of Texas, an abortion bill was filibustered yesterday and while I will not get into.specifics of the bill, I learned some things about the art/act of filibustering that I never bothered to learn before.

The person doing the filibustering is required to speak continuously about the bill itself, cannot get off topic, must stand without support, cannot use the restroom, cannot eat or drink or be given any support from anyone.

The assembly is allowed three strikes during the filibuster if they wish to challenge the person doing the filibusterering on any points of order that the person may have violated. If all three strikes are upheld, the bill is dead.

I'm not a policitial activist by any means, but I was somewhat fascinated by the requirements placed upon the person doing the filibustering regarding the physical restraints e.g. No eating, drinking, must stand, etc. .

I guess that in addition to strongly believing in the merits, or lack of, in a bill, the person doing the filibuster must be in strong physical condition.

This was an interesting lesson for me.

BTW - the bill was defeated.

I saw this too and was surprised by the rules and conditions imposed. It did get me to thinking was this a Texas thang or is this on the Federal level too. No matter what the bill or your personal stance on it. Anything that gets people to interact or think about the governmental process I see as a good thing. Way too much apathy in the world. I am off to research the federal rules
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
B47

I'm wondering the same thing about the rules being Federal or state. It seems to me to be a throwback to the time when a lot of politics were discussed and deals made by men in a cigar smoke filled room.

The filibuster in this case was a female state representative.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
MI Camperz

Rules for filibustering....its all nuts to me and a waste of taxpayer dollars. Lacks decorum imho and sounds like a circus act. Lastly i think it might imply inherent discrimination of older officials or anyone with a chronic illness who may need to eatp, go to the bathroom, or drink to take meds.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Well obviously the one doing the filibustering would have to be a young person whose bladder stretches enormously, or an older person with a catheter!! Lets me out on both counts - neither young, nor do I wear a catheter! LOL
Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Rules for filibustering....its all nuts to me and a waste of taxpayer dollars. Lacks decorum imho and sounds like a circus act. Lastly i think it might imply inherent discrimination of older officials or anyone with a chronic illness who may need to eatp, go to the bathroom, or drink to take meds.
Interesting - I'm not sure, but I don't recall filibustering being used very much lately.

I understand this one received national media coverage up to and including the president. Perhaps in today's world, there might be a call to review the rules for some of the very reasons you mention here.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Try very hard not to make this discussion of "political" (though I doubt it can be). The "up to and including the President" is exactly what will get the thread closed.

Discussions of the technique by which the party not in the majority can influence the outcome of a bill by the party that is in the majority is a lesson in United States Civics.

Specifics regarding bills, individuals, or parties is politics and that discussion is prohibited here.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

Those rules are for Texas and do not apply on the Federal level.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Those rules are for Texas and do not apply on the Federal level.
Texas is one of only 13 states that has a filibustering provision and it can be used in the U.S. House of Represtatives and Senate also.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

There was a recent 13 hour filibuster by a well known Senator from Kentucky.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #11

Why did the filibusting fail? Did he have to poop?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
You can easily find the info online.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
As I understand the filibustering rules, at least in Texas, the filibuster is not allowed to use the restroom.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

There were some questions regarding posting rules and what is "OK" and what is not.

Here are the Community Rules as they relate to this topic.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

The bullet above the "Be Nice" rule is the one in question.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There were some questions regarding posting rules and what is "OK" and what is not.

Here are the Community Rules as they relate to this topic.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

The bullet above the "Be Nice" rule is the one in question.
Since I'm the one that started this thread, let me be the one who asks that it be ended. This thread was started with the simple intention of discussing something that I thought truly belonged in and fitted into the "Off Topic" thread of this forum.

Appartently my thinking did not and does not mesh with the forum founders rules and because of that, I respectfully ask that this thread be closed to avoid any further possible conflict (s).

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

There is a fine line between a discussion on Civics and the intrusion of political thought. The idea is to keep discussions limited to "safe areas" like whether Ford is better than Dodge or Chevy and how much air pressure to keep in your tires.
Closed Thread