Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Fire Safety

I attended two if Mac's fire safety classes last week at a FMCA rally and he opened my eyes to just how dangerous a RV can be. I didn't put mine up for sale but I did buy some extra equipment to help sense a fire sooner and to put it out faster if it's safe to do. One thing we did in the class was to practice going out the emergency windows. Have you ever opened yours? It's not easy to get out. Try it some time. He has some videos on line and it's worth checking out. I'm not selling anything here and have no vested interest in you buying from him but it made an impression in me and I wanted to share.
My Business - Home

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

I did open the two on the lite, bedroom was hard to get open the one over the couch was easy.
The drop out of the bedroom is about 7 feet I think, still better than smoke inhalation or being turned into a 210 pound extra crispy Homo sapiens.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Bought a "one time use" Kiddie 13 foot ladder for the 5th wheel bedroom.

You are right; it is a long drop and a guaranteed injury if you just tumbled out.

Kiddie 13 foot ladder

Also have an additional flashlight and fire extinguisher in the bedroom.
The flashlight is now smaller and the fire extinguisher was relocated below the flashlight. It was mounted too high initially as I figured to grab it on the way to the door.

Now I know if I stood up that high the fumes in the camper would kill me.
Now it is located at "crawl height."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooperstown Sep 2009 200.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	55874  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
...The flashlight is now smaller and the fire extinguisher was relocated below the flashlight. It was mounted too high initially as I figured to grab it on the way to the door. Now I know if I stood up that high the fumes in the camper would kill me.
Now it is located at "crawl height."
Both fire extinguishers I mounted are on the floor/or the little ledge on each side of the foot of the bed. I would imagine we'll be out the door in less time than using an extinguisher other than to get to the door.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Both fire extinguishers I mounted are on the floor/or the little ledge on each side of the foot of the bed. I would imagine we'll be out the door in less time than using an extinguisher other than to get to the door.
The idea initially, was to use it to fight our way out. Now, I understand if that is an issue; to just bail out the exit window.

That extinguisher is a for an immediate SMALL fire. Anything bigger than a towel burning on the range is a "run away."
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

When we practiced and I should say they as I watched them do it they grabbed the blanket or bedspread and put it over the bottom of the window. That worked to slide out better and also for someone on the ground to help pull them out. also the person inside could hold it as the escapee lowered themselves to the ground. Another point was to have a plan then practice it to see if it worked. Try the ladder to see how fast it would be.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Our window is a lot higher than I want to get if there is a fire. We can drop to the floor, grab fire extinguishers and slither on the floor down the steps and out the door. After all, the fire normally will be in the upper portions of the trailers.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Try the ladder to see how fast it would be.
Would love to, but it is "one time use." It has a "pull" on it to unfurl the ladder rungs. Once "pulled" storing it near the window would be problematic.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Our window is a lot higher than I want to get if there is a fire. We can drop to the floor, grab fire extinguishers and slither on the floor down the steps and out the door. After all, the fire normally will be in the upper portions of the trailers.
I agree. My thought was more "tree falls on camper crushing the middle" and blocking access to the door; how do we get out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD1F4CCA2FEA72DF82C2A4268002F4F4_787_442.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	55875  
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

We talked about how fires start and a class A MH is the most dangerous RV out their. Of coarse the refrigerator is a big concern with Norco getting a lot go attention even after the recall was done they still have had fires. Not to let Dometic off the hook they have had some also. The class a Diesel getting the worse because of the fill spout being in the area go the wheel well. A blowout and you could have diesel all over the only door.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #11

Thanks Herk now I will never get to sleep tonight. Never thought of a tree falling on me.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I agree. My thought was more "tree falls on camper crushing the middle" and blocking access to the door; how do we get out?
With the way these trailers are built, if a tree falls on them, there will be plenty of openings as shown in your pictures. I'll find a hole rather than try to crawl out of a window, that's for sure. Already escaped a tree cutting our house into 3 pcs with us in it and it sheared a 1" gas line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big Tree!.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	55893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neil & Frankie Dunn House 001.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	55894  
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
NELA

Quote:
With the way these trailers are built, if a tree falls on them, there will be plenty of openings as shown in your pictures. I'll find a hole rather than try to crawl out of a window, that's for sure. Already escaped a tree cutting our house into 3 pcs with us in it and it sheared a 1" gas line.
Off topic, but Fritz even stopped eatin' mud bugs long enough to look and say;

looks to me like he's got an *El Camino* in his driveway!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #14
NELA

And Herk, thanks for that picture. DH and I will now duplicate your fire extinguisher and flashlight location, down low, on the fascia of our wardrobe slide, even though there's one mounted near the floor by the exit door, right at the foot of the stairs.

Perfect location.

(we do have a flashlight mounted with 3M loop and hook tape right above the fire extinguisher by the door)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Off topic, but Fritz even stopped eatin' mud bugs long enough to look and say;

looks to me like he's got an *El Camino* in his driveway!

Past tense, that was the house, etc in Carlisle, Arkansas before we left for NC. Camino and homemade camper still being used.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #16

I would also look at replacing the fire extinguisher that came with the RV with a foam filled product. The one Mac showed us kept the fire from reigniting and was not messy or corrosive. The demos are amassing. If you ever get a chance to see his show do it.

Tags
safety