Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #21

I'm a little skeptical on all remedies. I've had a Christmas tree farm for over 20 years and have heard and read about all kinds of "formulas" for preventing tree fires. Although they all seem to make sense, I don't believe any of them work any better than cutting your tree yourself (store or lot purchased trees can be cut up to two months before you purchase them!), giving it plenty of water (don't let the water drop below the cut or it will seal itself), and keeping it away from heat sources. We do this and each year take our tree outside after the season (4 weeks minimum in house) and can't set it a ablaze.

Remember, trees don't start fires....bad lights do. If your wrapped your curtains with lights every year for the holidays we would all being hearing about curtain fires during the holidays.

My two cents.

John
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I'm a little skeptical on all remedies. I've had a Christmas tree farm for over 20 years and have heard and read about all kinds of "formulas" for preventing tree fires. Although they all seem to make sense, I don't believe any of them work any better than cutting your tree yourself (store or lot purchased trees can be cut up to two months before you purchase them!), giving it plenty of water (don't let the water drop below the cut or it will seal itself), and keeping it away from heat sources. We do this and each year take our tree outside after the season (4 weeks minimum in house) and can't set it a ablaze.

Remember, trees don't start fires....bad lights do. If your wrapped your curtains with lights every year for the holidays we would all being hearing about curtain fires during the holidays.

My two cents.

John
All true.

However, I can say for certain that needle fall is almost non-existent when the directions are followed. I did try the branch burn before the hulk went to the recyclers and while it did "burn" it was not the explosive combustion of a normal conifer tree.
Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
There is an attachment in PDF format.
If you click on it and have a PDF reader it should open.

If you don't here is the text:

FIREPROOF THAT CHRISTMAS TREE
Every year many dreams result in tragedy as a result of Christmas trees catching on fire. Traditionally, we take a dead tree (usually a spruce or fir, which is highly flammable when dry), not properly prepared, set it in our homes and wrap it in electric wires. What an invitation for a fire! The following safety tip can help to fireproof natural Christmas trees, but you must follow the directions carefully:

Ingredients Two cups of Karo syrup Two ounces of liquid chlorine bleach Two pinches of Epsom salts One-half teaspoon of Borax One teaspoon of chelated iron Hot water You can purchase the Karo syrup, Borax, and a liquid chlorine bleach from your supermarket. The Epsom salts can be purchased from a drug store, and the chelated iron (pronounced KEY-lated) can be purchased from a garden shop or plant store.

PROCEDURE
1) With a saw, take your recently purchased Christmas tree and make a fresh cut at the base on the tree trunk. Cut an inch off the base of the tree. Try to make it a level cut.
2) Immediately after cutting the base off of the tree, mix your fireproofing ingredients as listed above. Fill a two-gallon bucket with hot water to within one inch of the top and add the ingredients. Stir thoroughly.
3) Immediately stand the trunk of the tree in this solution and leave for 24 hours.
4) Keep the remaining solution and place your tree in a stand with a well into which liquid can be poured.
5) When the tree is in its final resting place, use a plastic cup to pour solution from the bucket into the tree well. Fill the well.
6) Every day without exception, the well of the tree must be "topped off" with the solution from the two-gallon bucket.

Follow these simple directions and your tree will be fireproofed. If you are curious, after Christmas, when you remove your tree, snap off a branch and try to set it on fire OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE. HOW DOES IT WORK? In a nutshell, the Karo syrup provides the sugar necessary to allow the base of the tree to take up water. A tree can take up to 1.5 gallons of water over a two-week period of time. Boron in the Borax allows the tree to move the water and sugar to all the branches and needles in your tree. Magnesium compounds in the Epsom salts and iron from the chelated iron provides essential components for the production of chlorophyll, which will keep the tree green. The bleach prevents mold from forming in your solution. Some of the other beneficial side effects of this procedure are that the needles will not drop and you will notice an increase in natural pine fragrance.
Thanks Lou.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Thanks for bird-dogging this Lou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We don't have any apple products, but I heard from my brother something about apple and adobe having some kind of feud or something so apple will not support or open pdf files.
- that said I don't see any link or attachment here on my android app.
Can more Android folks post if the 'Attached Files' box for pdf's doesn't appear in your app? There should be one in Post #1 above. I can't see it on my iPhone app either.

Or for those saying they can or can't see, please identify which app you are using. We'll see what we can get done here.

On edit: for those just using apps, Post #1 should have looked like this -- Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf.png
Views:	97
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	22372

Thanks,
Bob
Support Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #25

Galaxy SIII with 4.1.1 and I can only see the JPG file, not the PDF or the DOC file.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,
On iPhone and iPad (iOS 6.0.1) -

Post 1 PDF - Nada
Post 10 PDF - Nada
Post 11 DOC- Nada
Post 14 PDF- Nada (but I see the picture)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Bob,
On iPhone and iPad (iOS 6.0.1) -

Post 1 PDF - Nada
Post 10 PDF - Nada
Post 11 DOC- Nada
Post 14 PDF- Nada (but I see the picture)
The same here. exactly.
PDF attachments correctly shown on other threads.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #28

Bob, as I have written in my posts above the pdf link in this thread is not visible on my Ipad and Ipod using the FR app.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Site Team

Thank you -- just what I needed. This will be referred to the app developer. Any change could come through as an update to your apps. I can't begin to guess a timetable.

Try to follow Lou's work-arounds of posting actual text for now.

Thanks,
Bob
Support Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

What I am saying is that it may be just this thread and not others.
Gonna experiment.