Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I have found that a 95 pound GSD will deter all kinds of people. In truth she is a sweetheart, but at 2:00 am that growl will make most people incontinent.

According to many personal safety personnel I have spoken with, the most universally recognizable sound is a pump shotgun being cycled. You can download an app to your phone that will play this sound.

agreed....the sound of my 200lb dane growling scares the beejebus outta most everyone....(he is a sweetheart, and would never harm someone who was causing harm first)

although my firearm is usually with me, it can be a tricky proposition depending on state if you choose to do so, know your rights in each state...not all have castle law like we do here in the wild west of texas....

on top of that, if I pulled up as your camp neighbor, I have no doubt most would think...oh goes the damn neighborhood.... I am an ex athlete and bodybuilder with a shaved head, and lots of tattoos...and Mexican on top of that.....I hate to stereotype, but lets be real....people say I look scary...LOL.

at the end of the day, we live in an unpredictable world, and it sucks to have to always be alert to things and people around you....but it is what it is.....i choose to be prepared and hope its all just merry.....but if its not have a plan.....

2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
Might want to remember that wasp spray will send someone to the hospital and in some places it could be considered asault.

Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Originally Posted by mrmurph View Post
We camped the week leading to and including Memorial Day Weekend in 2012. On Saturday night at 2:15am, a drunken neighbor confused our camper for his and tried his best to get inside. We always lock our doors at night and that night was no different. I will admit that it was an odd feeling but I did not get all fired up about it. He was obviously drunk and truly confused. The only similarity between his camper and ours were the outside rope lights were both red and lit up.

He did not recall the event the following day.
It may be an "odd feeling" for you, but for a 7, 10, 13 years old kids it is a nightmare.
John, Lilly & the kids.
2013 Surveyor Select SV 305
2011 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7
Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Oh, I agree and was not belittling the situation. I was merely commenting on my own personal experience.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #25
This is same the same type of situation why we will no longer be camping at campgrounds during the "big 3" holidays. This Labor Day, we dry camped with a group of friends. At least then, when someone gets out of hand, we can just put them in a choke-hold.
2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
We will continue to holiday camp although we do stay somewhere familiar. FYI - I am pretty sure when I am half asleep, drunken intruders look a lot like big wasps and will continue to do so until someone shows me one case where someone was convicted for assault defending their home with wasp spray.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
DH and I made the mistake of camping during a holiday (July 4th) on our third trip with the new RV.

Never again.

We almost "de camped" the first night of a 4 day weekend..for me...for him it was 3 days. T'was only 45 minutes from home. The amusement factor lasts just so long watching the falling down drunk folks staggering around trying to find their own abode....out of the five abodes all gathered there camping together. And the music (sigh) I'm well past the age of twerkin' songs.

This recent trip ran into the holiday weekend. Luckily we had planned to leave on Sunday instead of Monday. Friday and Saturday were definitely different from the previous days.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
I think I want one of those industrial sized pepper spray cans like Dog the Bounty Hunter carries in his holster. /snork

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
This thread reminds me yet again of why we avoid holidays in particular and weekends while schools are out most of the time.

Out trips are usually short and fairly local, so leaving home Sunday late morning is fine. We arrive at the CG just when all the rug-rats and their minders are leaving. Since we keep our trips short, we're usually on our way home before they all show up again.

We keep our longer trips for the times before schools are out and after they've gone back in. We've done our thing with kids, having raised four, now very responsible adults.

We do have two large male yellow Labs, who are excellent guard dogs to anyone who doesn't realize what softies they really are. We haven't had any problems in the 5 years we've been in this hobby.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
We got into our Favorite campshare in the hills near Julian CA. We like to park at the top of the park. This time we noticed that there was poor water pressure so I filled the fresh tank to use the pump. Well with two kids, the water was going fast. I went to refill and nothing. Found out there was a break in the main coming in and the park's storage tank was almost empty. The shut off all the restrooms and things got stinky on so many levels. We left Sunday and found a spot in Lake Elsinore and had a great night.

Closed Thread