Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
My Craftsman ratchet just bit the dust. It is slipping. ?I think it is over 40 years old. Think I got my money's worth.
Certainly not! Take it back to Sears. They will still either fix it right there or give you a brand spanking new one.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #72

I total agree. A buddy once found a Craftsman rachet along the road. It looked like it was there for 2 years. He took it to Sears and got a replacement on the spot. No questions asked.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #73
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Certainly not! Take it back to Sears. They will still either fix it right there or give you a brand spanking new one.
Sears has replaced a few tools for me,but they never offered to fix anything.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Sears has replaced a few tools for me,but they never offered to fix anything.
The last two sears (WA and CO) that I lived by repair ratchets and adjustable wrenches at the tool checkout counter. I just took in a 1/4" ratchet a couple of months ago. It took him less than 10 minutes to change out the mechanism.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #75

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Replaced a 3/8" ratchet

Just had Sears replace a 3/8" ratchet that was 51 years old, no questions ask, just replaced.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Just had Sears replace a 3/8" ratchet that was 51 years old, no questions ask, just replaced.

Amazingly!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #77

Sears has always just handed me a new tool. On the Harbor Freight thing I love that junk store. I got ceramic kitchen knives, tools, and other junk I couldn't live without there. I have to say the ceramic knives have been very good. Tools are my Junkers to loan the guy next door..

Kim and Scott.
Charlie,Hank,and Tater our dogs.
Live and Learn
2016-6 days camping so far
Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg33772 View Post
I have Bench Top Belt Sander that I bought at HF about 12 years ago and it still works to day. I use it a couple times a month for woodworking projects. It was cheap I like 60 or 70 dollars. Some of the stuff there is junk even for the home owner but, a lot of it can be good for use around the home.

In my opinion Northern Tool is a step above HF. I have bought tools there for work and they have held up pretty good for the environment that I work in. Northern tool sells a lot of name brand industrial stuff were HF sells a lot there branded stuff or low in brands.
Yes, Northern Tool is definitely a step up from Harbor Freight.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #79

I haven't read all the replys but.........

......here's my experiences with HF.

IMO, don't buy anything there that uses heavy torquing. I bought a tap/die set there because it was cheap and yes it broke on the first use. A Craftsman replacement set (although a little smaller) was the same price.

The HF air compressor kept tripping my circuit breaker until it finally just died. So, I bought a second one from HF and it died the first day I tried to use it. What pains me is that the same day I returned the second air compressor to HF, I found a larger Craftsman for the same price at Sears! Yeah, they're both made in China but the Craftsman doesn't trip circuit breakers either.

I'll spend a little more to get quality tools because to me, quality means a much safer tool too.

Oh, HF does sell cheap magnets. I'll give them that much.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #80

Harbor Freight is good for free flashlights, screwdrivers and tape measures. I know I have dozens of them, and those small multimeters. I don't think you can beat the prices for the disposable gloves and some work gloves. Their quick connect fittings for air lines and the air regulators don't last too long. I like the 1/2" torque wrench. I bought several sockets that I needed at a reasonable price that were good. There are a lot of good things cheap but they would not hold up for every day use.

Tags
first time