Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
B47

First time Harbor Freight visit.

After being a life long Craftsman and Snap-On tool customer,I was bored the other day and decided to visit a HF store just for kicks.

I walked in the door and walked up and down each aisle looking like a kid in a candy store.

They have items I would have never thought of - a grommet repair kit for tarps to safety wire pliers and everything in between.

I talked to a few guys and came away agreeing with them when they said that most items were satisfactory for the average home mechanics,but most items were not suitable for contractors.

I brought a battery/alternator tester for $5.00.

What have your experiences with HF been?

I am hearing about a similar company called Northern Tools - anyone know about them?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

What have your experiences with HF been?

I am hearing about a similar company called Northern Tools - anyone know about them?
They can sure pack a lot of junk in one of those HF places. What little time I spent in a Northern Tool the one thing I noticed they did have name brand or two floating around.

My experiences are when using a HF socket or wrench wear gloves for when it shatters like glass. If you need to mix bags of concrete mix, buy the HF electric cement mixer for $99 when its on sale with the coupon. It lasts about long enough for mixing about 50 bags before it smokes and smells like a vintage Lionel train engine. Then you don't have to worry about cleaning it. Just set it out on the curb with a free sign on it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Team

I've bought items from both companies and as you stated, they're mostly ok for occasional home use, but not for heavy or commercial use.

I do love making a trip in the local HF once in a while. As you said, they have things you never think of.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
They can sure pack a lot of junk in one of those HF places. What little time I spent in a Northern Tool the one thing I noticed they did have name brand or two floating around.

My experiences are when using a HF socket or wrench wear gloves for when it shatters like glass. If you need to mix bags of concrete mix, buy the HF electric cement mixer for $99 when its on sale with the coupon. It lasts about long enough for mixing about 50 bags before it smokes and smells like a vintage Lionel train engine. Then you don't have to worry about cleaning it. Just set it out on the curb with a free sign on it.
Thanks for that. Sounds like what I expected and Yes they don't waste any floor or wall space displaying their stuff.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

I go to Harbor Freight when they have a big sale and look for trinkets (flashlights etc...) for the grandkids and myself. Bought a little bit of everything tool wise, filled up an empty tool box. I have used them around the house. I am satisfied for what I paid.

However, if you need tools to make your living or have your life depend on them, go elsewhere.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Yeah you are like a kid in candy store when you go into HF X2 on most items being satisfactory for the average home mechanic. I have purchased a few large items like an 10 gallon air compressor I had to return two of them in the last two years because they failed I purchased the extended warranty for a few $$ on them so I was able to return them without any issues...

My thoughts are if it something I am going to want to last and be of above average quality HB for the most part isn't the place to purchase it from if your not so much concerned that something breaks or fails or perhaps you only use it infrequently it works fine for that plus there is some comfort knowing you got it for a lower $$$
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I go to Harbor Freight when they have a big sale and look for trinkets (flashlights etc...) for the grandkids and myself. Bought a little bit of everything tool wise, filled up an empty tool box. I have used them around the house. I am satisfied for what I paid.

However, if you need tools to make your living or have your life depend on them, go elsewhere.

Right on.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I've bought items from both companies and as you stated, they're mostly ok for occasional home use, but not for heavy or commercial use.

I do love making a trip in the local HF once in a while. As you said, they have things you never think of.
I just looked up Northern Tools and they have some stores around DFW,SO I guess I'll make a visit to one of them also.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
Broken Toe

HF is for stuff you might think you will only need once or twice in your life. I got a puller to remove the pulley off GM power steering pumps there years ago. I have only needed to use it 2 times, and once loaned it to my neighbor. It's a low quality POS, but it does the job and cost very little. If I had to use one every day, I would not have bought it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
HF is for stuff you might think you will only need once or twice in your life. I got a puller to remove the pulley off GM power steering pumps there years ago. I have only needed to use it 2 times, and once loaned it to my neighbor. It's a low quality POS, but it does the job and cost very little. If I had to use one every day, I would not have bought it.

Tim
I'm thinking that what you said is the HF business mantel - cheap stuff,many choices for the average guy.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

Motorcycle chock is pretty good. Bought for toy hauler and utility trailer to haul my VTX 1300. Bought a tap a die set and took it back when tap broke. Bought pnuematic nailer does not work too bad, but like others said do not use it but rarely.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #12

I buy things like cable ties, bungee cords, etc from there. Will not buy a power tool or a handtool that I would use a lot. I have purchased replacement wheel barrow tires/rims from Northern Tool. You get what you pay for.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
You get what you pay for.

Correction......You get what you don't pay for
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Site Team

I love the solid rubber wheel chocks that HF sales. Beats the snot out of those plastic ones from Wally World and Camping World. I think all my camping buddies have ended up with my chocks after they see them, and I just keep going back and buying more.

They also sell a 30 and 100 meter dual sided tape measure that has units in imperial and metric. It's hard to find those, and I need them for another hobby of mine...where the measurements are sometimes in meters, or sometimes in feet.

Rubber Wheel Chock - Save on this Solid Rubber Wheel Chock

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #15

Bought a set of their deep sockets the ones that are colored. I bought them to remove the wheel locks on my sisters car (she lost the key) took and used the 3/4 socket and hammered it over the wheel lock and used a breaker bar to remove them after I removed all four I checked the socket and was no noticeable damage even the color was good. Still have the set have not used since but who knows?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight has a ware house on I-95 , that I see ever time I go up I-95. It is huge, covers a lot of acres.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
I buy things like cable ties, bungee cords, etc from there. Will not buy a power tool or a handtool that I would use a lot. I have purchased replacement wheel barrow tires/rims from Northern Tool. You get what you pay for.
x2.. but, to be honest, my garage would be half as empty if I didn't have a Harbor Freight here!!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #18

Their Top of the Line Alum racing Jacks are worth a Hell of a lot more than the Super Heavy, Leaks down,leaks Period,Made in the USA Blackhawk Steel and Cast iron floor jack I bought New 35 years ago for a Lot more money than these H/F jacks cost! The H/F jacks have been 10 years trouble Free, the Blackhawk was Trouble from day one! I bought it from a SnapOn Tool peddler! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #19

I also have the rubber wheel chocks. They are great! I also bought a 18v cordless drill to keep in the RV to run down the stabilizers. I got tired of remembering to put my good drill in the RV. I'll see how long it last.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #20

HF has been around a long time been buying all my towing hitch stuff there........ still have the engine hoist I bought from them in the 1980s ....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time