Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
B47

Front & Rear license plates in Texas

Just heard on our local news that one of the new laws effective today in Texas requires both the front and rear Texas license plates to be displayed. Failure to do so carries a $200.00 fine.

It was further explained that it isn't a brand new law,but a re-wording of the current law.

I know there has been some discussion of this topic here before and I just thought I would pass this on.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Couldn't tell you how many times back in the eighties that I got pulled over in my old camaro because I had the plate on the dash and not on front. Car was from out of state and didnt have a plate holder.I was young and dumb, took me awhile to find time to buy one.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Just heard on our local news that one of the new laws effective today in Texas requires both the front and rear Texas license plates to be displayed. Failure to do so carries a $200.00 fine.

It was further explained that it isn't a brand new law,but a re-wording of the current law.

I know there has been some discussion of this topic here before and I just thought I would pass this on.
I've always understood that if they issue you two license plates, the expectation is that both will be displayed.

In Missouri, when you get to 18,000 GVW or above plates, you only get issued a single plate, and that Missouri law requires that it be displayed on the front of your truck, as opposed to most states that want a single plate displayed on the rear. In fact, Missouri DOR gives you a note to carry in the vehicle, for police in other jurisdictions explaining that Missouri requires the plate on the front, not n the rear of the truck.

The rationale is that if you have a combination vehicle of 18,000 GVW or higher, chances are you are pulling a trailer of some kind, and the rear plate on the tow vehicle would be obscured, anyway.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I've always understood that if they issue you two license plates, the expectation is that both will be displayed.

In Missouri, when you get to 18,000 GVW or above plates, you only get issued a single plate, and that Missouri law requires that it be displayed on the front of your truck, as opposed to most states that want a single plate displayed on the rear. In fact, Missouri DOR gives you a note to carry in the vehicle, for police in other jurisdictions explaining that Missouri requires the plate on the front, not n the rear of the truck.

The rationale is that if you have a combination vehicle of 18,000 GVW or higher, chances are you are pulling a trailer of some kind, and the rear plate on the tow vehicle would be obscured, anyway.
Hell, I have bumped into local podunk cops in Missouri that don't understand the 18,000 pound plate law. I had one Arnold Missouri patrolman (obviously a rookie) who was convinced that I pulled a fast one somewhere because there's no way an excursion can weigh 18,000 pounds. I said no, but a 7400 pound Exy pulling a 7000 pound trailer sure as hell weighs more than the 12,000 plate allows, and the next step up is 18k. He seemed unaware that the trailer load factors into the weight as well.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Hell, I have bumped into local podunk cops in Missouri that don't understand the 18,000 pound plate law. I had one Arnold Missouri patrolman (obviously a rookie) who was convinced that I pulled a fast one somewhere because there's no way an excursion can weigh 18,000 pounds. I said no, but a 7400 pound Exy pulling a 7000 pound trailer sure as hell weighs more than the 12,000 plate allows, and the next step up is 18k. He seemed unaware that the trailer load factors into the weight as well.

Tim

Stop trying to pull a fast one.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Hey we're talking Missouri here (Show Me)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

Only Missouri would come up with such an asinine law. Contrary to "common sense", but "common sense" is not to be found in Jeff City.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

I refuse to put that awful thing on the front of my vehicles. The one time Ive ever received an actual citation for it; I took a picture with the plate on the car and took it to the judge. The citation was dismissed. Removed it and tossed it in the trunk. Yes; it was a hassle and could have easily been fixed by just following the rules.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Couldn't tell you how many times back in the eighties that I got pulled over in my old camaro because I had the plate on the dash and not on front.
Heck...I got pulled over five times in my new Camaro before I mounted the front. Ordered it from out of state 5 1/2 years ago since it was the best price I could find and I never mounted the brackets. Got warnings for almost three years from state, county, and local up until a state trooper pulled me over the second time...state database is linked and the warning showed up from two years prior. Couldn't talk my way out of that one, but dismissed when I pointed to it out the window of the courthouse and they could see it mounted.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Heck...I got pulled over five times in my new Camaro before I mounted the front. Ordered it from out of state 5 1/2 years ago since it was the best price I could find and I never mounted the brackets. Got warnings for almost three years from state, county, and local up until a state trooper pulled me over the second time...state database is linked and the warning showed up from two years prior. Couldn't talk my way out of that one, but dismissed when I pointed to it out the window of the courthouse and they could see it mounted.
Isn't one of conditions regarding "Warnings" is that you will correct the issue (s) that the warning (s) pertain to?

If that is correct,then it appears that you didn't correct the issue.

Just saying.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #11

Correct. Intentionally didn't correct it and they knew it...hence the ticket. Wasn't anybody's fault but mine.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Correct. Intentionally didn't correct it and they knew it...hence the ticket. Wasn't anybody's fault but mine.
Yeah - but even in Texas it's not a Capital Punishment crime.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #13

A temporary correction is still a correction no?...lol...

Still not putting holes in my "nice cars" bumpers....the bracket on my truck may be making a farewell also for an led light bar.....ill toss the plate in the glove box....in texas I have never seen a cop/trooper care....but My day is prob numbered now.....lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
A temporary correction is still a correction no?...lol...

Still not putting holes in my "nice cars" bumpers....the bracket on my truck may be making a farewell also for an led light bar.....ill toss the plate in the glove box....in texas I have never seen a cop/trooper care....but My day is prob numbered now.....lol
Let me know - I'll send you bail money.

Perhaps it should be a requirement that all new vehicles destined for sale in states that require front license plates be equipped with a holder. Let the manufacturer figure out how to design it.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #15

GM, at least, charges $12 for license brackets as an option. Mine was ordered in a state that doesn't require it, so would have had to make sure that option was ordered. Even then, they ship in the trunk and the dealer has to install them.

Normally, they don't notice / don't care. My car isn't exactly "low profile" and draws more eyes (and ears), so I was a little more noticeable. Usually, they use it as an excuse to pull you over for drunk checks. Three out of my five stops were on holidays.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #16

What's this awful thing look like?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #17

All my GM vehicles that were shipped to a state that required a front license plate had the bracket in the vehicle and the dealer installed it...all for free. Lucky for me, when I drove Corvettes, I lived in TN and MI; neither (at that time anyway) required front plates.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote