Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Front & Rear license plates in Texas

Just heard on our local news that one of the new laws effective today in Texas requires both the front and rear Texas license plates to be displayed. Failure to do so carries a $200.00 fine.

It was further explained that it isn't a brand new law,but a re-wording of the current law.

I know there has been some discussion of this topic here before and I just thought I would pass this on.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Carknocker Family
 
Ida Ratherbe Camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 484
Couldn't tell you how many times back in the eighties that I got pulled over in my old camaro because I had the plate on the dash and not on front. Car was from out of state and didnt have a plate holder.I was young and dumb, took me awhile to find time to buy one.
__________________

__________________
Nights camped 2015...20
Nights camped 2016...20
Nights camped 2017...24
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Just heard on our local news that one of the new laws effective today in Texas requires both the front and rear Texas license plates to be displayed. Failure to do so carries a $200.00 fine.

It was further explained that it isn't a brand new law,but a re-wording of the current law.

I know there has been some discussion of this topic here before and I just thought I would pass this on.
I've always understood that if they issue you two license plates, the expectation is that both will be displayed.

In Missouri, when you get to 18,000 GVW or above plates, you only get issued a single plate, and that Missouri law requires that it be displayed on the front of your truck, as opposed to most states that want a single plate displayed on the rear. In fact, Missouri DOR gives you a note to carry in the vehicle, for police in other jurisdictions explaining that Missouri requires the plate on the front, not n the rear of the truck.

The rationale is that if you have a combination vehicle of 18,000 GVW or higher, chances are you are pulling a trailer of some kind, and the rear plate on the tow vehicle would be obscured, anyway.
__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I've always understood that if they issue you two license plates, the expectation is that both will be displayed.

In Missouri, when you get to 18,000 GVW or above plates, you only get issued a single plate, and that Missouri law requires that it be displayed on the front of your truck, as opposed to most states that want a single plate displayed on the rear. In fact, Missouri DOR gives you a note to carry in the vehicle, for police in other jurisdictions explaining that Missouri requires the plate on the front, not n the rear of the truck.

The rationale is that if you have a combination vehicle of 18,000 GVW or higher, chances are you are pulling a trailer of some kind, and the rear plate on the tow vehicle would be obscured, anyway.
Hell, I have bumped into local podunk cops in Missouri that don't understand the 18,000 pound plate law. I had one Arnold Missouri patrolman (obviously a rookie) who was convinced that I pulled a fast one somewhere because there's no way an excursion can weigh 18,000 pounds. I said no, but a 7400 pound Exy pulling a 7000 pound trailer sure as hell weighs more than the 12,000 plate allows, and the next step up is 18k. He seemed unaware that the trailer load factors into the weight as well.

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Hell, I have bumped into local podunk cops in Missouri that don't understand the 18,000 pound plate law. I had one Arnold Missouri patrolman (obviously a rookie) who was convinced that I pulled a fast one somewhere because there's no way an excursion can weigh 18,000 pounds. I said no, but a 7400 pound Exy pulling a 7000 pound trailer sure as hell weighs more than the 12,000 plate allows, and the next step up is 18k. He seemed unaware that the trailer load factors into the weight as well.

Tim

Stop trying to pull a fast one.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
hkreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,190
Hey we're talking Missouri here (Show Me)
__________________
Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I've always understood that if they issue you two license plates, the expectation is that both will be displayed.

In Missouri, when you get to 18,000 GVW or above plates, you only get issued a single plate, and that Missouri law requires that it be displayed on the front of your truck, as opposed to most states that want a single plate displayed on the rear. In fact, Missouri DOR gives you a note to carry in the vehicle, for police in other jurisdictions explaining that Missouri requires the plate on the front, not n the rear of the truck.

The rationale is that if you have a combination vehicle of 18,000 GVW or higher, chances are you are pulling a trailer of some kind, and the rear plate on the tow vehicle would be obscured, anyway.
Only Missouri would come up with such an asinine law. Contrary to "common sense", but "common sense" is not to be found in Jeff City.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 22
I refuse to put that awful thing on the front of my vehicles. The one time Ive ever received an actual citation for it; I took a picture with the plate on the car and took it to the judge. The citation was dismissed. Removed it and tossed it in the trunk. Yes; it was a hassle and could have easily been fixed by just following the rules.
__________________
2014 Berkshire 400BH-60
2012 MC Ram 2500 6.7 Limited
nastygts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Couldn't tell you how many times back in the eighties that I got pulled over in my old camaro because I had the plate on the dash and not on front.
Heck...I got pulled over five times in my new Camaro before I mounted the front. Ordered it from out of state 5 1/2 years ago since it was the best price I could find and I never mounted the brackets. Got warnings for almost three years from state, county, and local up until a state trooper pulled me over the second time...state database is linked and the warning showed up from two years prior. Couldn't talk my way out of that one, but dismissed when I pointed to it out the window of the courthouse and they could see it mounted.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Heck...I got pulled over five times in my new Camaro before I mounted the front. Ordered it from out of state 5 1/2 years ago since it was the best price I could find and I never mounted the brackets. Got warnings for almost three years from state, county, and local up until a state trooper pulled me over the second time...state database is linked and the warning showed up from two years prior. Couldn't talk my way out of that one, but dismissed when I pointed to it out the window of the courthouse and they could see it mounted.
Isn't one of conditions regarding "Warnings" is that you will correct the issue (s) that the warning (s) pertain to?

If that is correct,then it appears that you didn't correct the issue.

Just saying.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.