Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
deleted to 'keep the peace'

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
OH PLEASE don't turn this into a political discussion.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
Fuel costs

35 gallons of diesel at $4.00 = $140.00

35 gallons of diesel at $4.50 = $157.50

35 gallons of diesel at $5.00 = $175.00

95% of our planned trips this year will be one tank trips to the smokey mountains. We hope to go around 8 to 10 times. We also are planning a trip to the beach for a week. I just bought a 2012 Sandpiper 365 Saq and a new to me 2008 3500 dually Dodge Cummins. Also plan on widening my driveway so we can store our trailer at our home. Asphalt is going up also. Everything will be going up again. But I'm still going camping every chance we get even if fuel goes up higher than 5.00 a gallon. And if it does you watch this country go right back into the crapper its been trying to climb out of for the last few years. Hey i got an idea! Lets throw money at it! That will cure it! My banker told me one day if you want to get out of a hole quit digging the damn thing!!!!!!!
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
Villa Estate 392FLFB
I hope i just dont break down and buy a Prius!!
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
We decided to put our Wildwood on a permanent site this year to avoid the $5.00 per gallon fuel consumption. We figure it will actually be cheaper to park it than to pull it two or three weekends each month. Just my two cents.
Jason & Kim plus two kids
2012 Wildwood Xlite 26BHXL
2009 Ram 1500 Hemi
Days camped in 2012 - 49
JKGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
The last price increase in oil is because Iran was stopped shipping oil to the UK. Only problem I see with the oil industry statement is that the UK has not purchased oil form Iran for over a year now. If and oil exec. bumps his toe on the edge of the desk the price of oil has to go up because there might be a shortage due to reduction in production.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
I donít think higher fuel prices will keep people from camping locally but I do think it will keep a lot of people from taking that long distance trip. Back in 2008 when fuel prices spiked, the RV traffic we would see on the highways was less than half of what we had seen in previous years. RV parks along the highways were almost empty that year. I personally donít think gas prices will go to $5 a gallon as predicted but if it does, I wouldnít be surprised if a number of people donít cancel their reservations for the August FROG rally.

Here are some numbers based on a trip we take every couple of years. From my house to West Yellowstone, MT itís 1400 miles. I average 12 MPG towing with my ĺ ton diesel.

2800 miles roundtrip @ $3.69 a gal. itís $860.98 in fuel cost for that trip.
@ $4.00 a gal. itís $933.32 in fuel cost.
@ $4.50 a gal. itís $1049.98 in fuel cost.
@ $5.00 a gal itís $1166.65 in fuel cost.
The difference between the fuel cost at todayís price vs. fuel at $5.00 a gallon is $305.67. Thatís a lot of extra money for just one trip. Also, I based those numbers on 12 MPG, a lot of Class Aís, Class Cís and gassers donít get anywhere near that mileage. I personally think anything over $4.25 a gallon will have a major impact on RVíers who like to travel and the industry in general.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
Site Team
Yesterday one of our local news station was filiming a piece at a gas station about how fast gas prices been going up. Within a two minute time period of filiming the price jumped 10 cents higher at the gas station across the street. It was caught on film and viewers did noticed. Other stations in the area also noticed and increased their prices as well.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #29
I agree with Oakman, Hob and RvBill,

Just as Hob has decided not to upgrade his trailer but rather enjoy what he has en lieu of what projections the cost of a new trailer will have on his travel expenses, and in general the need for people to reduce fuel expendatures, it WILL take it's toll on the RV industry, remember the most recent recession was induced by the rapid inflation of fuel prices, which in turn hit most every industry nationwide.

I don't believe the fuel prices was the cause of the recession, rather I think it was the trigger that set the fall of the economy in motion. Hence because of the vulnaribility of the banking, mortgage, automobile and construction industry, every thing began to fail.

I also don't believe the economy has recovered safely and this again may be the trigger to hurt more than just the RV/Travel/Leisure industries, but many industries will feel the pain as fuel prices go up.

My vote will be in favor of local oil production, research and development, because I feel the oil industry in general is such a major component that impacts on our economy.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #30
Well, it seems that every time the fuel prices get to $3.60 a gallon Washington talks about how we need to be finding other ways to be more independent from others for energy, but nothing is ever done talk is cheap so that is the end of that story.....

I do believe that the cost of fuel will slow people down from traveling, as some know we lost our camper due to a harricane in September and are looking for another one, but think we are going to put off from buying for now. We have made reservations for Mytle Beach for July and we were going to stay in a Condo this year because we don't have camper, but my wife and I were thinking on canceling because of the fuel prices.

I travel three states to go to work From-PA, MD to VA the price for a gallon of gas is from $3.65 a gallon in PA to $3.85 a gallon in Northern VA and steady going up, I am going to have to do something soon i may stay at work for two days a week to help with the cost of traveling to work.

I feel for those that are on fix incomes who are traveling around in there RV's trying to enjoy there retirement and I wish you well it is an ideal thing to do for some but the cost fuel it's heart breaking.

Charity Starts at Home, so why not take care of us first because no body else will, It's time to stop turning the other cheak and start putting our foot down and that is long over due down, we are only as stronge as our weakest link.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote