Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #11

I'm new to RVing, so your perspective is very interesting to me. You tried it, know what it's all about now and can say BTDT.
Not sure me an' DW would ever want to go full time. Maybe snowbird for a month or so after Christmas when we retire.
I can see how you would lose the excitement of camping, though. We're scheduled for two trips from now to the end of Sept and we're looking forward to them. The prep and setup are always educational. Breaking camp is a lot less fun.
Anyway, good luck and thanks for your insight.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Plain Old Member

That's part of the beauty of how our family is. We homeschool our little ones, so we still have the option to go for more than a weekend if we choose to. Sometimes the planning and getting there is as much fun or more than the destination itself.

Looking back, I kind of wish I could have all the money I've lost on trial and error through different rigs, full timing etc. But, then I'd never know what I know now.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #13

[QUOTE=BigJohnD;663847] Sometimes the planning and getting there is as much fun or more than the destination itself.

Such a true statement. I wholeheartedly agree!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
...But, then I'd never know what I know now.
And you wouldn't have met all the fine folks here on the forum. Good Luck John & Rebecca. BTW, my awning motor shot craps too.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

John you need to what is right for you and your wife, like you said you can say you been there done that, you might even have a T-Shirt. Yes we would like you to stay on the forum you have a lot to offer.
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

LittlePM took the words I was thinking. John, it's been awesome reading your posts here and I'm sure you don't make decisions lightly- if it is best for your family, then you're making the right choice.

But, please- for the love of Pete - stick around the forum! You're a wealth of information and ideas.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Plain Old Member

Again, thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. Yes, I'm sticking around. Wife has been slowly unloading stuff since I left, and I'll be finishing it off when I get home. Now, I suppose I can load all that stuff I used to bring camping back in there. I gutted the cargo trailer before I left, so it's bare and screaming to be customized into something else. More than likely, it'll be a father / son project at some point. Already drawing sketches for that one. One good thing is, I can do a lot of the modifications I've been putting off, without it interfering with our "living". Very easy to gut the master bed when you don't have to sleep there.

We keep debating selling it and getting something smaller, but, we've got so much time and money in it, and it's paid for. Wife has a number in mind if it were to go on the market, or consignment, and I'm not sure anybody wants to dig that deep. Believe me she knows what they're worth as she's been around and handled the $$ for all 7. So, for now, we'll be using it just like all the other ones we've owned.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Site Team

I'm glad to hear that you plan on sticking around here. The place wouldn't be the same without you. And thanks for all you do.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #19

I understand what you mean John. Full timing changes everything. We are starting our 6 month and it has had its ups and downs. It is a lot if work and have our "stuff" scattered form storage to the kids house is tough. It seems we never have enough room. Happy to here you Are planing a camping trip and that the transition back to S&B will be an easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Plain Old Member

And, it's gone, we hope. Dropped the rig off at PPL Motorhomes in Houston yesterday. It's already listed on their website, minus the pictures right now. It'll make somebody a good rig I'm sure.

We're headed out camping again on Thursday, except in our cargo trailer. Good thing is, it doesn't leak, no water damage, no fit and finish issues, no warranty to worry about, no issues period., and it's a 2007. For us, it's the start of a good thing getting away from the mass produced RV industry. Still debating what to do next, but buying something out of Indiana isn't looking favorable. Hard to describe the feeling of having my garage free of problems right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	63421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3591.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	63422