Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #61
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I wish Dave would just tell Todd to go away! as was said he is the best leader on that claim. Todd just needs to step down and let the person that knows what he is doing call the shots.
Todd is the money man in this show and as such, he is the man in charge.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #62
Graduate Member

I like Parker.

Hoffman's are just the carny-folk of miners...

2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #63
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I wish Dave would just tell Todd to go away! as was said he is the best leader on that claim. Todd just needs to step down and let the person that knows what he is doing call the shots.
x2

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #64
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Todd is the money man in this show and as such, he is the man in charge.
That is somewhat true...Dave had to go with Todd to get the financing and seemed to be part of the deal.

The true money probably comes from the shows producers

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #65
Graduate Member

I kinda doubt that Discovery is financing much. They may help defray some costs, but I would think it's more of the 'camera effect'.

Ever see another reality show where the camera being there seems to attract others? It's not the show that's causing it to happen on purpose - it's just a by-product of tv cameras.

Imagine the PR risk if someone told him he's an idiot on camera - doesn't matter if the majority think so or not, there could be a loss of business. So it's just an easier PR move to indulge him and get some free camera time and maybe press for your business.

Plus they have no idea how Todd is being portrayed that season - so it's best to walk delicately.
2012 - 26 days

Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #66
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
I kinda doubt that Discovery is financing much. They may help defray some costs, but I would think it's more of the 'camera effect'.

Ever see another reality show where the camera being there seems to attract others? It's not the show that's causing it to happen on purpose - it's just a by-product of tv cameras.

Imagine the PR risk if someone told him he's an idiot on camera - doesn't matter if the majority think so or not, there could be a loss of business. So it's just an easier PR move to indulge him and get some free camera time and maybe press for your business.

Plus they have no idea how Todd is being portrayed that season - so it's best to walk delicately.
I don't know for sure - but someone is pouring a lot of money in that show. You just don't get new Volvo equipment and money for fuel, food , a new trommel, etc from a tree. I have watched this show from the start and if you can believe what you see, these guys were down to their last pennies and now they are driving new equipment, etc.

As far as calling Todd an idiot and some of the other characters on the show also, they have been called out at times in the shows.

I just think there is money being put up by someone other than the Dallas investment group that wasn't in the mix when this show started.

The same goes for the Bering Sea Gold show.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #67

Todd would probably do very well selling ocean front property in landlocked states. He reminds me of a greasy used car salesman.

In many of the episodes he claims to be religious, he huddles his "guys" for group prayers, but his demeanor, language and actions speak otherwise. Guess that's why I stopped watching the show.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #68
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwilson View Post
Todd would probably do very well selling ocean front property in landlocked states. He reminds me of a greasy used car salesman.

In many of the episodes he claims to be religious, he huddles his "guys" for group prayers, but his demeanor, language and actions speak otherwise. Guess that's why I stopped watching the show.
To me he is "borderline" greasy. He doesn't, at least not on the show, use the "F(&( word" ) in its fullest sense and defers to his Dad to offer the prayers.

But I still watch the show every Friday night.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #69
Graduate Member

I thought I heard them say in either the first episode, or that pre-episode describing the fundraising, that most of the equip was leased.

That ring a bell with anyone else?
2012 - 26 days

Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #70
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
I thought I heard them say in either the first episode, or that pre-episode describing the fundraising, that most of the equip was leased.

That ring a bell with anyone else?
Not that I recall - but whether leasing the equipment or buying the equipment, it still takes money. Plus the cost of fuel, food. etc on top of that adds up.