Old 09-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
Goodbye Old Friend

Today we had the sad task of saying goodbye to our true friend and companion Pouter. That is him in our signature. He was thirteen and had developed a large tumor in his abdomen. He loved to camp with us and attended many Frog Rallies including the very first ever in Branson. I had always wondered at how moved people can be at a time like this but until you have experienced it you don't really get it I guess. Joanne will miss him terribly but we know in our hearts he is so much better off now. Thanks for letting me get this off my mind. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Team
Sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is tough but remember, he is waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

I will tell you, giving Pouter the gift of peace was the greatest gift of love you could have given. I will share with you a letter that was shared with me when I said goodbye to my beloved Maddie. This may make you cry at this point but it also may help you with your grief:

I, Chelsea, because of the burden of my illness and realizing the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my Last Will and Testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master, Vicky, who I know will mourn me the most, to my companion, Will, but if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely exceptional dog.

I ask my Master to remember me always but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to her in time of sorrow and a reason for added joy in her happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that, while no dog ever had a happier life, I have now grown ill and pained. I should not want my pride to sink to a bewildered humiliation. It is time for me to say "good-bye". It will sorrow me to leave her but not sorrow me to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What will come to me after death? I will be in a place where one is always young; where I will someday be joined by companions I have known in life; where I will romp in lovely fields with those that have gone before me; where every hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and remembers the old brave days on earth and the love of one's Master.

This is much to expect but peace, at least, is certain, and a long rest for these weakened limbs. And eternal sleep is perhaps, after all, the best.

One last request I earnestly make. I ask her, for love of me to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have another Lab. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me, she cannot live without one! I have never had a narrow spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs are better than others--like me--and so I suggest a Black Lab as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as mannered or as distinguished and beautiful as I, but my Master must not ask the impossible. She will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash. I leave her my place in the car which I loved so much and wish for her long rides with open windows.

One last word of farewell, dear Master. Whenever you think of me, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my happy life with you, "She is the one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Oh my. You are so right that it may make me cry but what great thoughts. I had never seen anything like that before and will be sure to show it to Joanne first thing in the morning. Brian
new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
So sorry for your loss. I have felt your pain. May you be comforted knowing that
your little loved one is no longer in pain.
bmcevers_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
I originally wrote this some years back, when a friend had to put down her big Bloodhound on about a days notice ... then all too soon, had to do the same for my own Shep-X ... from time to time, this seems applicable.

"It has been arranged, that we will outlive our dogs. They would never understand, if we were to just go away one day, and never come back. So that is our burden to bear. But with it, comes the opportunity to share in their veiw of the Universe, and Life, and Love."

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
So sorry for your loss

Sorry to read about your loss. They are family from the start till the end. I know you have many pictures and memories that you will cherish.
We too lost Daisy early this year. It is very hard because of the closeness
that you have lived with every day of Pouter's life.

My hear saddens for your loss. One day that great doggie will meet you on the other side of the great Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you for sharing your loss with all of us.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Brian and Joanne
I'm so sorry to hear about Pouter.
The Rainbow bridge letter was great for all who have lost a pet that was part of the family.

John I
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Going to unsubscribe this thread for my own reasons. I keep going back to the post from "asquared". That post makes me sad, hits home for me. I did save it as the grandchildren have a favorite "old" boy that they love so much with little time left for him.

I hope she does not mind if I re-work it for them...

I miss mine and I am sure you miss yours.

Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2015 Grey Wolf 26BH
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
(Dry Huunday)
So sorry for your loss. They so much steal our hearts.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper
Sorry for your loss, it is always hard to let a beloved pet go. As my vet told us many years ago, helping your pet pass over the rainbow bridge is the last act of kindness you can do for your loved one.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote