Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks. I did adjust the seat so that it is tilted down in the front. I actually went further than I wanted (the multi-tool that I have is awkward to use under the seat). BUT I only road a tiny bit today (less than 10 minutes) and I was in slippy flip flops and sweaty feet. It was a bad combination.

I'll ride some tomorrow and see how it fairs.

Thanks for all of the input! I welcome it all.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #32
PPST OGCDG

Check these Bike seats

Search - Bike seat - Camping World

I have the first one on the list on my mountain bike. I changed the handle bars to regular one. I am 295

Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
TRIGUY! SCOTT! You, yeah... you!

I'm of above average size- ok, I'm "husky", "big boned", "chunky", "fat".. pick your adjective. A few years ago, I decided I was going to buy a bike, get svelte and start commuting by bike. So, I found a deal on a Scott Sub 20.

Let's just say- the seat that came with it was a little too "happy" for me and even a 10 minute ride left me sore for 3 days. I tried a time or two and it was just unbearable.

So, pretending it was a horse- I went out and bought a new "saddle". This one is vented in the middle and a little more cushy but still "streamlined" (because hey- this is a serious bike! It needs a serious saddle). I'm trying to find a link to it- but it was about $40 or $50. (It's not this one- but kind of like this.)

I still don't ride much, but Wednesday + Thursday here at the campground I rode a little bit (maybe 10-15 minutes Weds and 30 minutes in the morning and then short 5-10 minute rides the 2 or 3 times in the rest of the day). It's not bad, but I'm definitely a little tender when I sit on the bike and it got worse with each ride. And, I'm not sure how things are going to feel when I go for rides today...

SO- I'd like to try and replace the seat again. But, I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to look for. I even don't mind spending a little bit of money ($100-$125 likely is my limit).

Thoughts, comments, witty commentary?
Man, Doug.

I'm so sorry. I got crazy busy yesterday and didn't even see the thread

Better late than never.

I didn't read all of the comments but my experience is that the bike geometry, fit and saddle are key. Even a $10K bike will be a bummer if the seat is wrong for you. Its all about the contact points (sit bones and, uh, your junk) and everyone's body and seat interact differently so you really just need to try them out.

My personal favorite seats are made by a little company called Cobb. The Cobb V-Flow Plus is the best seat for one of my bikes (tribike). I went through 4 seats before I found this one. The beautiful thing about Cobb is they have a 6-month tryout period when you order directly from them. Also, John Cobb and his wife and staff are really very service oriented and will help you to choose which seat to try first. Cobb also has road and mountain bike saddles so they're worth a look.

I just picked up a new road bike yesterday and I think the seat is going to have to be changed out. I've got seats from Specialized, Adamo, Felt, Cobb and others so I plan to experiment today. I really hope one of them works.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I also want to add that I am really happy to hear that you are getting back in the saddle. Biking is a great activity!

Also, this three part article by bike guru, Dan Empfield, is a good read.

Saddle Theory: Part I - Slowtwitch.com

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
Fulltime family RVer

I did adjust my seat so that it was a bit nose down. I actually went a little far with it, further than I wanted, but my multi-tool makes it a challenge due to its shape. But, a few short rides and things are pretty good. In fact, daughter and I just stopped at McD's for water and a McFlurry for her on our way to the grocery store!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #36

whatever happened to banana seats? they were the best
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #37
Fulltime family RVer

Resurrecting an old thread because we've had two 60+ degree days in a row. Rode bikes with DD yesterday and rode to school with her today. This thread title is as true today as when i wrote it. I thought things had gotten better, but man my sit bone HURTS!

Just thought you all needed to know about my derriere.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Yea, really glad to hear about your butt lol! But glad to hear you got out yesterday. Lucky dog!

The first days are the worst and will take some time to get used to sitting on the seat after a long winter off. Its all about time in the saddle as they say. If it continues to bother you, though, I will recommend again that you try the Cobb saddles and their 6-month tryout period.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #39

Try this LOL
Amazon.com: padded bike underwear
Old 03-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #40
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
I'm not above that. I do really need to invest in bike shorts. I wish I had done it when I had my LL Bean discount.

BUT- do you think I'm more lines:

Or stars?

Tags
bike