Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Always Learning

Great Scott, my butt hurts. Bike seat help!

TRIGUY! SCOTT! You, yeah... you!

I'm of above average size- ok, I'm "husky", "big boned", "chunky", "fat".. pick your adjective. A few years ago, I decided I was going to buy a bike, get svelte and start commuting by bike. So, I found a deal on a Scott Sub 20.

Let's just say- the seat that came with it was a little too "happy" for me and even a 10 minute ride left me sore for 3 days. I tried a time or two and it was just unbearable.

So, pretending it was a horse- I went out and bought a new "saddle". This one is vented in the middle and a little more cushy but still "streamlined" (because hey- this is a serious bike! It needs a serious saddle). I'm trying to find a link to it- but it was about $40 or $50. (It's not this one- but kind of like this.)

I still don't ride much, but Wednesday + Thursday here at the campground I rode a little bit (maybe 10-15 minutes Weds and 30 minutes in the morning and then short 5-10 minute rides the 2 or 3 times in the rest of the day). It's not bad, but I'm definitely a little tender when I sit on the bike and it got worse with each ride. And, I'm not sure how things are going to feel when I go for rides today...

SO- I'd like to try and replace the seat again. But, I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to look for. I even don't mind spending a little bit of money ($100-$125 likely is my limit).

Thoughts, comments, witty commentary?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #2

Some seat are more comfortable than others. It also depends on how your seat is adjusted. Is should be kind of point down, and high enough. You don't actually sit on seat you lean back on it. The real issue is that your butt isn't broke in yet same as your mussels it takes awhile. Like in riding a horse your butt gets real tender at first. I'm not slim, 250lb but when in shape will do 20-30 mile in a afternoon. My seat is only 5" wide
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
Some seat are more comfortable than others. It also depends on how your seat is adjusted. Is should be kind of point down, and high enough. You don't actually sit on seat you lean back on it. The real issue is that your butt isn't broke in yet same as your mussels it takes awhile. Like in riding a horse your butt gets real tender at first. I'm not slim, 250 but when in shape will do 20-30 mile in a afternoon
I've actually went through some issues with getting the seat adjusted- it was way too far down when I went for a ride couple of weeks ago at a campground. I felt like I was falling off. When we stopped, I adjusted it. But it sounds like I might have gone too far. I'll futz with that before I ride today.

You're sure right about not being broke in yet. I just don't ride often enough or with any consistency. Part of it is the pain. The other part is I'm frightfully out of shape. I'm about 265, but the 25 minute leisurely ride was about all I had in me yesterday morning. I was pretty happy to get back on later in the day and ride some more, though.

And- I'm doing all of this in regular gym shorts. I don't have any bike shorts, but generally for around the campground rides to see family + friends- I doubt I'd put them on anyway.

Keep the ideas coming, please!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

What Jim said! My Trek FX bike has a smaller seat than previous bikes but once I graduated from my "cruiser" style with a fat seat, my body was ready for a light weight fitness bike and it has a tiny seat. I learned quickly that you sorta lean on it but most of your weight is on the pedals non-stop. Keep riding and you'll love it!

Oh, and the first lesson I learned when getting back into biking again: Get the right sized bike for your body and the seat will be higher than you think it should be! You should have to "climb" up to it, not sit on it with your feet flat on the ground.

Good luck!

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Get to REI or a decent retailer and try a couple of seats.
Being up there in years, I have a preference for a cut out.

Nashbar FC1 Saddle - Bike Saddles / Seats / Seatposts

-
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

O yeah I forgot to mention I'm 70 Yr old. I agree with the cut out style seat. Mine isn't cut as much as the Nasbar But its that style.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
O yeah I forgot to mention I'm 70 Yr old. I agree with the cut out style seat. Mine isn't cut as much as the Nasbar But its that style.
Way to make a guy feel bad- you're more than double my age and a hella lot better at this!

Here's my current seat/setup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3762980546.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	38889

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-570309540.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	38888
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Get to REI or a decent retailer and try a couple of seats.
Being up there in years, I have a preference for a cut out.

Nashbar FC1 Saddle - Bike Saddles / Seats / Seatposts

-
Thanks. That is similar to my seat. I have the same split seat.

How do you "try a couple of seats"? Do I take my bike to the store and start swapping seats out and going for a ride? Or, just sit on it in the store? Or....
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
William

Have you tried riding shorts? They are made with padding to minimize discomfort. You can find them at most sporting goods stores.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #10

Sorry to hear you got butt hurt Doug!

You could always try a seat like this! I know I would be able to ride it for hours!

Now come on... you did expect me to reply like this right!? I try to keep it as real and to the point as I can!
Attached Images

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
Have you tried riding shorts? They are made with padding to minimize discomfort. You can find them at most sporting goods stores.
I haven't yet. But I'm really not spending much time on the bike at this point! 25 minutes max is very likely so far.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
MI Camperz

IMO, having been a bicycle enthusiast, including week-long bike tours, etc.......take your bike to a shop and have them size everything. It may be how you are sitting in the saddle. You really shouldn't "feel" your seat much if properly positioned. That being said, even a perfect fit will result in some saddle bone soreness for a while, but it will go away as you develop a callous. Take it to a pro bike shop for fit. They can also help you pick the best seat! Ask around for a good recommendation....like RV dealers, not all bike dealers are equally knowledgeable.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #13

What TimeOutRV shared about seat height is a really critical element. I'm just north of 6' 2", and the stock seat post is fully extended. If I were any taller, I would need to swap out posts. But this one works, and I 'mount' the bike some so than merely sitting down on the seat. Watch how much bend you have in your knees. At the bottom of the peddle cycle, your knee should pointed down, at nearly a 45 degree angle to the ground. If your knees are coming up higher . . . say almost to the upper bar . . . they you're putting too much strain on your hips and butt, and your upper body isn't sharing the load. This will quickly sap a rider, and almost guarantee sore spots.

Happy riding, and with time, your muscle memory will lessen the discomfort.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

As others have said get to a bike shop for the right adjustments. If you don't want to do that at first you can try taking the right measurements of your body and bike and get pretty close, which might work for an occasional rider. Padded shorts make a huge difference but the main thing for you is going to be time in the saddle........ All of these combined will REDUCE the length of time to get comfortable, the only thing that will completely prevent it is not to ride but now what fun would that be.........
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Sorry to hear you got butt hurt Doug!

You could always try a seat like this! I know I would be able to ride it for hours!

Now come on... you did expect me to reply like this right!? I try to keep it as real and to the point as I can!
I would have been disappointed if you HADN'T responded with something like this!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
Always Learning

So, I did go to a bike shop once after getting the bike. I am trying to remember if they fitted me for the bike or not. I'm pretty sure that they did. I want someone to adjust my front brake anyway (disc brake seems to rub the fork) so I'll talk to them.

I did know about the bent leg when the pedal is fully extended and that's where I'm at.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Always Learning

I'll adjust my seat to point it downward a bit today.

And then will plan on running into the bike shop when I'm home.

And, I guess I'll buck up and buy a pair of bike shorts! Those bad boys are expensive!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
William

OR you can UPGRADE to the special order "avolnek" model!
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
OR you can UPGRADE to the special order "avolnek" model!
I did lust after a recumbent for a long time. Just couldn't justify the coin.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And, I guess I'll buck up and buy a pair of bike shorts! Those bad boys are expensive!
Yes they are... And don't get the cheap ones either or you will regret it.... I have had good luck with Pearl Izumi shorts, but even the different types have pros and cons. I think I found the P I Quest seems to fit me about the best.....
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike