Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #1

Gun Laws in Illinois

I have a license to carry in Indiana and as such, legal to own and possess a weapon. I realize that Illinois does not honor or reciprocate Indiana State issued permits. My concern is; is it legal for me to simply have my hand gun inside of my travel trailer while camping in Illinois State Park?

Thanks for anyone that has already researched and know Illinois gun law.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be careful "guns" are a "touchy" subject here.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

I would think you would need to have it unloaded, in a locked case, with ammo in a separate locked case. The NRA's website has a pretty detailed list of reciprocity laws and what's legal from state to state. Illinois is prety gun-unfriendly from a carry point of view, so I doubt you'll have to much leeway with anything. If all else fails, you could try a call to the Illinois State Police and ask them what is allowed. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

I moved from Illinois last year and destroyed my FOID card as my last act of defiance! It is legal to have your gun in a lock box separate of your ammo but most state parks are an exception. Alcohol and guns are not authorized at most state parks. Some states are slowly changing their position but way too slow. No one will ever ask or search for a gun in your RV unless you are crossing the Canadian/Mexico border or if you give law enforcement probable cause.

Clear as mud?
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
I moved from Illinois last year and destroyed my FOID card as my last act of defiance! It is legal to have your gun in a lock box separate of your ammo but most state parks are an exception. Alcohol and guns are not authorized at most state parks. Some states are slowly changing their position but way too slow. No one will ever ask or search for a gun in your RV unless you are crossing the Canadian/Mexico border or if you give law enforcement probable cause.

Clear as mud?
Perfect Frank.

Lock it up and never mention it. Who is going to know?
When in doubt; leave it home.
Most campgrounds (public and private) "prohibit" them anyway.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #6

There are a number of sites on the internet that specialize in firearms laws. Many of which keep updated very well as to the laws in particular in the state of Illinois due to their strict but slowly changing laws.

I would suggest that you do a little reading on a few of these sites for your own peace of mind and coverage of keister.

Have a great trip,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

This may help you:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

This thread MUST stay on topic. Hot Topic Warning enabled.
Note: Swaying off topic will result in post by post Moderation.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If a state park specifies "no guns", then regardless of federal or state laws permitting transportation of firearms over state roads, the state park regulations would prevail. if you have a gun, don't stay at the park, and there won't be any problems. If caught with a firearm in a state or federal park that prohibits guns, then you could be convicted of a serious crime. I don't want to take that kinda of chance.

I do research online before going to a state park. I went to a SC park a couple of years ago, and it was a "no guns" park. I left my gun at home.

Maryland is the only state that I travel through regularly that does not recognize my VA. carry permit. I lock my handgun in the trailer when traveling though Maryland.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #9

There is a LARGE difference between carrying in your Car and carrying in your Travel trailer.

CCW laws are not relevant to what is placed in your TT because you are not able to access it and your TT is not considered a Vehicle, rather a trailer when on the road. (I have no knowledge of how this works with RV's)

Please note: Magazine size, ammo type etc are not part of carry laws, they are gun laws that have nothing to do with transport

I personally am traveling through Illinois and stopping at one of their fine parks tonight. I will leave my loaded weapon in the camper until I leave the state.

Legally, they would need a search warrant to enter your TT to look for your weapon. if you have one, they will never know. If they know because you needed it, well, it was worth it to protect yourself.

Also, there is a great App called CCW that I use to make sure that my permits are valid in states I am traveling through, if i need to declare to police, and where I can and cannot carry etc.

Moderators, i will be happy to edit my statements if anything is afoul of the rules. While i am at it, thank you for the work you do here
Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

Also be sure to check the laws regarding a domicile. Your RV being your domicile may have some weight on if you can have it with you or not too!
textman is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tent2TT View Post
I have a license to carry in Indiana and as such, legal to own and possess a weapon. I realize that Illinois does not honor or reciprocate Indiana State issued permits. My concern is; is it legal for me to simply have my hand gun inside of my travel trailer while camping in Illinois State Park?

Thanks for anyone that has already researched and know Illinois gun law.
check out this site for some FAQ:
Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
textman is offline   Reply
Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
There is a LARGE difference between carrying in your Car and carrying in your Travel trailer.

CCW laws are not relevant to what is placed in your TT because you are not able to access it and your TT is not considered a Vehicle, rather a trailer when on the road. (I have no knowledge of how this works with RV's)

Please note: Magazine size, ammo type etc are not part of carry laws, they are gun laws that have nothing to do with transport

I personally am traveling through Illinois and stopping at one of their fine parks tonight. I will leave my loaded weapon in the camper until I leave the state.

Legally, they would need a search warrant to enter your TT to look for your weapon. if you have one, they will never know. If they know because you needed it, well, it was worth it to protect yourself.

Also, there is a great App called CCW that I use to make sure that my permits are valid in states I am traveling through, if i need to declare to police, and where I can and cannot carry etc.

Moderators, i will be happy to edit my statements if anything is afoul of the rules. While i am at it, thank you for the work you do here
Nope. You are bang on point. When a trailer is connected and on the road, the domicile argument does not work. Motor Homes on the road are also considered motor vehicles and not domiciles.

Probable cause is all that is needed (just like a vehicle search after any other regular traffic stop). If the officer "suspects" you are in violation of a law, they can hold you until that warrant arrives. They just changed the law in PA as to what "probable cause" is, so be VERY careful here.

Supreme Court: Pennsylvania cops no longer need a warrant to search citizens’ vehicles - LancasterOnline: Local News

HOWEVER, once parked in your campsite, domicile rules DO apply and a warrant to search is needed unless there are extenuating circumstances (like a fire, robbery, or the officer has probable cause that a crime is in progress) AND the article is in plain sight when the officer enters.

Again, as said before rules vary by state and a thorough understanding of your rights and the rules are required before you even consider going armed while camping in the US. Don't even consider going out of CONUS with weapons unless you want to follow the example of that poor Marine in CA.

In the end... JUST SAY NO...
Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

Good call about the State Park regs vs the general state's CCW laws. I think 2 phone calls are in order--1st to the Illnois State Police and 2nd to the Illnois DCNR (or whatever agency manages the SPs out there) to find out what's allowed.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #14

A lot will depend on how the state wrote the firearms laws. If they preempted all other government agencies within the state from changing any state laws then the government agency (park service, county/city governments, etc.) cannot change how the law reads.

When living in UT, one of the state park managers popped up a sign that said no handguns; it lasted about two weeks and most ignored it since there was NO law stating a person could not legally carry a gun into the state park. That included in a car without a permit. Sign came down in about two weeks by order of the state's attorney general.

Illinois is about the most unfriendly state to guns in the USA so my suggestion is to call the State Police (as someone already mentioned) to first see if they control the enforcement (might also be department of public safety and in some states that might be different). If they control the enforcement, they should be able to tell you if it is legal to outlaw guns in state parks. DO NOT rely on handgun sites. They give good info, but state's change laws all the time and they may not be up to date on the latest laws that restrict firearm's carry. And that cannot be used in court in your favor.

As for transport through the USA, just follow Title 18 U.S. Code Part I. Chapter 44, section 926A

As for Canada...it ain't as hard as some would like you to believe. Just don't surprise the border agents! Declare it the MINUTE the border agent grunts HELLO!

For restricted firearms (most handgun allowed in the USA), get a authorization to transport from the provincial government. For rifles, shotguns, I believe you can just declare at the border. Regardless, if you have the ATT in your possession, MAKE SURE to declare to the first border agent you come in contact with. They do NOT like surprises, and like our border agents, they do NOT like surprises.

RCMP info....Visitors / Non-Residents - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

When living in MI and NY and transporting between the two via Canada, on personal time, I had a ATT and was allowed to carry my handgun through Canada; according to their required restrictions.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
A lot will depend on how the state wrote the firearms laws. If they preempted all other government agencies within the state from changing any state laws then the government agency (park service, county/city governments, etc.) cannot change how the law reads.

When living in UT, one of the state park managers popped up a sign that said no handguns; it lasted about two weeks and most ignored it since there was NO law stating a person could not legally carry a gun into the state park. That included in a car without a permit. Sign came down in about two weeks by order of the state's attorney general.

Illinois is about the most unfriendly state to guns in the USA so my suggestion is to call the State Police (as someone already mentioned) to first see if they control the enforcement (might also be department of public safety and in some states that might be different). If they control the enforcement, they should be able to tell you if it is legal to outlaw guns in state parks. DO NOT rely on handgun sites. They give good info, but state's change laws all the time and they may not be up to date on the latest laws that restrict firearm's carry. And that cannot be used in court in your favor.

As for transport through the USA, just follow Title 18 U.S. Code Part I. Chapter 44, section 926A

As for Canada...it ain't as hard as some would like you to believe. Just don't surprise the border agents! Declare it the MINUTE the border agent grunts HELLO!

For restricted firearms (most handgun allowed in the USA), get a authorization to transport from the provincial government. For rifles, shotguns, I believe you can just declare at the border. Regardless, if you have the ATT in your possession, MAKE SURE to declare to the first border agent you come in contact with. They do NOT like surprises, and like our border agents, they do NOT like surprises.

RCMP info....Visitors / Non-Residents - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

When living in MI and NY and transporting between the two via Canada, on personal time, I had a ATT and was allowed to carry my handgun through Canada; according to their required restrictions.
Excellent Post. Thanks for the link as well.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I got my first "be careful" warning when trying to reply to this!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

<Sigh>

Before you post be advised that "What you carry and why" and "2nd Amendment rants and diatribes" are not allowed.

This thread must stay "on point" to remain open. That point is traveling with firearms in various states and border crossings while camping and staying legal.

PERIOD.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #18

As a Canadian I WILL NOT get into a discussion about guns, but I do find it very interesting reading all the posts about U.S. laws regarding carrying of weapons.
wana65stang is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Thanks Herk7769 for the map link, it's awesome.
donanddona is offline   Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #20

I wounder what hunters do they also camp, alot of out of state hunters. I live in Virginia. The State parks forbid hand guns and booze, but will allow you to hunt in a designated area's of the State park. The difference is that the weapon can not be loaded during travel.But could be kept in your car or truck to and from the designated area. CG or home which ever. You DO NOT CONCEAL IT. They will ticket you and take the weapon......I used to hunt in Virginia State parks all the time and also COE grounds. I live 2 miles from the State Park that I hunted in and also ran into campers who were hunting. But you better have an out of state lic. or tags if you live in the state and purchased your hunting tags at any Fish and Game dept.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread