Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

teamgl, well said. If crocus feels unsafe in the US, IMHO, he can stay in Canada. Don't need his condesending, arrogant kind down here. We have enough home grown nuts without importing more.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #52

"lol, politics and religion..."
=================
And guns and women!
Any one of those topics gets the blood boiling!
Please, no offense to the fine ladies of the forum. I am sure they could say the same thing about men!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #53
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
where's the popcorn smiley when ya need one

this is turning into a doozy.
ibtl
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #54

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
things are being said that I am sure they would like to take back.:
Go ahead, CROCUS - We are waiting.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #55

So howe many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome? I have a small safe bolted down in one of the cabinets.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #56

To the OP ...... handgunlaw.us is probably one of the best sources for your questions on state to state.

As a Ohio resident there are a few states I wish to be permitted in to carry and Ohio does not have reciprocity. I have applied for my AZ permit via mail and should be here any day, this permit along with my Ohio will cover me in most all the states. There are a few states that there is no way to carry like Ill. or are a "may Issue" AKA good flipping luck.

In regards to reciprocity, there is hopes we will get to a national reciprocity in the next few years...crossing fingers.

Just remember "no guns permitted = CPZ Criminal Protection Zone"! Criminals do NOT look at a sign and say "shoot I can't rob this place they don't allow guns"

Disarming LAW ABIDING CITIZENS is not the answer!

http://rvpdi.com
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #57

Quote:
...who out there brings a gun with them when they travel?...plan to have a concealed weapon permit...we will be crossing a lot of state lines...Does anyone know of a website that has the rules for traveling with a gun?
Getting back to the original OP's questions:

Yes, the pardette and I carry or travel with firearms a lot and most of our friends do. Like I have told other people when we got into the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting, it is probably the biggest reason we got into RVing as it is the best way to go to matches around the country.

The laws governoring the carrying or traveling with firearms vary considerably from state to state. In fact they can vary extensively even within a state. Anyone who tells you they understand it all are just plain lying.

Certainly sites like HandgunLaw.us and the others that have been cited in this thread are very helpful. Most CCW carriers know those sites very well. The truth is though only an attorney can offer legal advice to navigate the complex federal, state, and municipal laws. Web sites do due diligence in trying to keep abreast of those laws, but I would not rely on them alone.

However, there some things experienced gun owners can tell you. Generally you can break states into three different classes based on their CC permiting: "shall issue", "may issue", and "no issue."

A "shall issue" state requires the CCW issuing authority a finite period to issue or deny a permit. Using this as a guide, in very general terms a "shall issue" state probably will have the most tolerance in citizens transporting or carrying firearms. Again the laws within a state can vary considerably, some allowing municipalities great lattitude in writing and enforcing local gun laws, and others that require compliance with the state.

"May issue" in turn allows considerable deference to CCW issuing authority. The authority may routinely deny permits. Using this as guide, one would expect that state and local laws are considerably more restrictive.

"No issue" states are just as they state; no CCW permits for anyone without connections. These states generally see no difference between the felon caught with a firearm, and a citizen crossing the state to another.

The other thing available are the local gun shops. With iPhones and Droids you can easily locate shops while on the road. Most gun shops may be willing to tell you what is the customary way to act and where the problem areas are. I would call several.

There are also state organizations too. My observation is that where gun laws are most restrictive, statewide firearm owner web sites are usually very good.

Police departments can be helpful too. It can be problematic because the advice they give may not what they will observe.

One other point, is if you plan to transport a firearm through Canada it can be done. There are Canadian run web sites that explain the process. I am not sure I would want to, but there are plenty of people who do it on a routine basis.

In case anyone else has been ready this thread, Herk (Lou) is quite right. CCW holders are rarely involved in any shooting. Almost anything can get your permit pulled, so few are willling to risk losing their permit.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
So howe many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome? I have a small safe bolted down in one of the cabinets.
Gun goes in the console, mag. goes in my pocket. I am not leaving a loaded weapon unsecured. And there is no law against carrying a loaded mag if you are a CC holder.

http://rvpdi.com
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #59

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus
What would you like me to take back? The truth?
I am concerned about travelling in the US.
Considering the blatant hate that has been posted, I think my point has been proven.

Play it out with the folks on this forum, COWBOY. Not with me in a private message (as listed above).

STILL WAITING.....
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #60

Quote:
...So how many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome?...
I have one in the cab of the truck that works quite well. Other people I know have a truck bed tool box in the trailers/RVs. Those work well too.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, travel