Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #41
Current River Rat

Spent the day at the NRA Convention here in St. Louis yesterday and yes the 2nd Amendment supporters are alive and well and the place was packed at the same time the Cardinals were having their opening ceremonies. 15 years in law enforcement and I never had to arrest a "law abiding" citizen. I responded to several calls had the victim had a means of self defense, the outcome would have been very different. When we finally hear all the details on the Zimmerman case then we can make a determination as to what really happened. I carried for 15 years with a badge and now carry with a permit. I have to agree with a previous post. When seconds counts, the police are just minutes away. This I know from experience. Good common sense and good training are the requirement. Safe travels all.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Campers with guns, hmmmm...........
One of the reasons I am leery of ever going back to the US to camp.
Too many Zimmermans for my taste.
Wow! As a Canadian citizen now residing in the US, I take exception to your vapid and somewhat arrogant and insulting tone, my friend! Please note that a Manitoba city, Thompson, can claim to be the most violent crime riddled city in Canada. Perhaps you might want to start by cleaning up your own back yard!

Canada's most violent crime city: Thompson, Manitoba | Thompson | Thompson Citizen, Thompson, MB

My old Province, British Columbia, has a per capita violent crime rate that is more than double the rate here in Missouri, a fact that surprises most of those Canadians who prefer stereotypes over facts!

My county here has had 1 (ONE) murder in the last 19 years, and believe me, we are ALL armed to the teeth!

I possess and carry weapons (with a Utah CCW permit) because it is my responsibility to keep my community, my home and my family safe, and to ensure that crime doesn't pay! After all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away (if you're lucky)!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #43

Signed by the 'liberal anti gun democatic president obama' (as the NRA calls him).
Romney however, has passed and supported lots of anti-gun legislation over the years.
Vote carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post

FIREARMS IN PARKS

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #44

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
Wow! As a Canadian citizen now residing in the US, I take exception to your vapid and somewhat arrogant and insulting tone, my friend! Please note that a Manitoba city, Thompson, can claim to be the most violent crime riddled city in Canada. Perhaps you might want to start by cleaning up your own back yard!
Well said, Hawthorne!

IMHO there is no place for that kind of arrogance and insulting behavior on this forum! CROCUS you can OCCUPY another forum if you feel compelled to insult your neighbors to the south!
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #45

Seems to me it is not those who are licensed and carrying you need to be concerned about...
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #46

Boy, the nuts are falling heavy from the tree now!
People are getting a little too worked up over this, and some things are being said that I am sure they would like to take back.
Everyone needs to take a pill and relax a bit.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #47

Speaking of chilling...this thread made me so upset, I sold all 5 of my guns. That's right, all of them .68Cal; one full auto, one s/a, and three pumps. Plus I was tired of filling the co2 tanks all the time, and paintballs are getting expensive....lol not for or against ccp or guns in general, but "Can't we all just get along!"
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #48
Drinkin beer on the beach

lol, politics and religion...
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Well said, Hawthorne!

IMHO there is no place for that kind of arrogance and insulting behavior on this forum! CROCUS you can OCCUPY another forum if you feel compelled to insult your neighbors to the south!

Here ! here! my good man........well said!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Where's the popcorn smiley when ya need one

This is turning into a doozy.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

teamgl, well said. If crocus feels unsafe in the US, IMHO, he can stay in Canada. Don't need his condesending, arrogant kind down here. We have enough home grown nuts without importing more.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #52

"lol, politics and religion..."
=================
And guns and women!
Any one of those topics gets the blood boiling!
Please, no offense to the fine ladies of the forum. I am sure they could say the same thing about men!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #53
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
where's the popcorn smiley when ya need one

this is turning into a doozy.
ibtl
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
things are being said that I am sure they would like to take back.:
Go ahead, CROCUS - We are waiting.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #55

So howe many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome? I have a small safe bolted down in one of the cabinets.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #56

To the OP ...... handgunlaw.us is probably one of the best sources for your questions on state to state.

As a Ohio resident there are a few states I wish to be permitted in to carry and Ohio does not have reciprocity. I have applied for my AZ permit via mail and should be here any day, this permit along with my Ohio will cover me in most all the states. There are a few states that there is no way to carry like Ill. or are a "may Issue" AKA good flipping luck.

In regards to reciprocity, there is hopes we will get to a national reciprocity in the next few years...crossing fingers.

Just remember "no guns permitted = CPZ Criminal Protection Zone"! Criminals do NOT look at a sign and say "shoot I can't rob this place they don't allow guns"

Disarming LAW ABIDING CITIZENS is not the answer!

https://rvpdi.com
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #57

Quote:
...who out there brings a gun with them when they travel?...plan to have a concealed weapon permit...we will be crossing a lot of state lines...Does anyone know of a website that has the rules for traveling with a gun?
Getting back to the original OP's questions:

Yes, the pardette and I carry or travel with firearms a lot and most of our friends do. Like I have told other people when we got into the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting, it is probably the biggest reason we got into RVing as it is the best way to go to matches around the country.

The laws governoring the carrying or traveling with firearms vary considerably from state to state. In fact they can vary extensively even within a state. Anyone who tells you they understand it all are just plain lying.

Certainly sites like HandgunLaw.us and the others that have been cited in this thread are very helpful. Most CCW carriers know those sites very well. The truth is though only an attorney can offer legal advice to navigate the complex federal, state, and municipal laws. Web sites do due diligence in trying to keep abreast of those laws, but I would not rely on them alone.

However, there some things experienced gun owners can tell you. Generally you can break states into three different classes based on their CC permiting: "shall issue", "may issue", and "no issue."

A "shall issue" state requires the CCW issuing authority a finite period to issue or deny a permit. Using this as a guide, in very general terms a "shall issue" state probably will have the most tolerance in citizens transporting or carrying firearms. Again the laws within a state can vary considerably, some allowing municipalities great lattitude in writing and enforcing local gun laws, and others that require compliance with the state.

"May issue" in turn allows considerable deference to CCW issuing authority. The authority may routinely deny permits. Using this as guide, one would expect that state and local laws are considerably more restrictive.

"No issue" states are just as they state; no CCW permits for anyone without connections. These states generally see no difference between the felon caught with a firearm, and a citizen crossing the state to another.

The other thing available are the local gun shops. With iPhones and Droids you can easily locate shops while on the road. Most gun shops may be willing to tell you what is the customary way to act and where the problem areas are. I would call several.

There are also state organizations too. My observation is that where gun laws are most restrictive, statewide firearm owner web sites are usually very good.

Police departments can be helpful too. It can be problematic because the advice they give may not what they will observe.

One other point, is if you plan to transport a firearm through Canada it can be done. There are Canadian run web sites that explain the process. I am not sure I would want to, but there are plenty of people who do it on a routine basis.

In case anyone else has been ready this thread, Herk (Lou) is quite right. CCW holders are rarely involved in any shooting. Almost anything can get your permit pulled, so few are willling to risk losing their permit.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
So howe many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome? I have a small safe bolted down in one of the cabinets.
Gun goes in the console, mag. goes in my pocket. I am not leaving a loaded weapon unsecured. And there is no law against carrying a loaded mag if you are a CC holder.

https://rvpdi.com
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus
What would you like me to take back? The truth?
I am concerned about travelling in the US.
Considering the blatant hate that has been posted, I think my point has been proven.

Play it out with the folks on this forum, COWBOY. Not with me in a private message (as listed above).

STILL WAITING.....
Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #60

Quote:
...So how many of you have a place to secure your guns if you make a stop where they are not welcome?...
I have one in the cab of the truck that works quite well. Other people I know have a truck bed tool box in the trailers/RVs. Those work well too.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, travel