Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Question guns

I know that this is a hard question but ,,,,who out there brings a gun with them when they travel??????? I plan to have a concealed weapon permit before I start my month long trip , we will be crossing a lot of state lines.... Does anyone know of a website that has the rules for traveling with a gun?
2011 Greywolf 26rl
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

There is a book that lists the regs for each state. Be aware guns are banned in most state and federal parks.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

If I had a permit I would bring to camp if needed then I would deal with not being allowed in camp!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

I carry mine everywhere. I have GA & FL concealed permits which allow reciprocity with 30+ states. Donn is right about the parks. Here is a link to an interactive reciprocity map.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I wonder if I could argue that the TT is my second home and it is registered in GA?!
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Campers with guns, hmmmm...........
One of the reasons I am leery of ever going back to the US to camp.
Too many Zimmermans for my taste.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Nice a available campsite!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #8

tking
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

If you are permitted to carry concealed in a particular state, then you are permitted to carry in the National Park in that state. Of course the law also states that guns are not allowed in federal buildings. This website has a lot of information, but it is your responsibility to verify these laws. Handgunlaw.us
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #10

I carry mine everywhere when I camp. Back in the seventies a ranger stopped by my campsite and we drank coffee for an hour or more and he told me he would never camp without a gun. I asked him if it was because of bears and he said "no, it's because of the crazies out there." That was good enough for me. I even carry it hiking on the trails. You never know when a bear or a cougar could strike and the last thing I would want is for my wife or children or anyone else for that matter to be mauled or killed. We were in Colorado some years back hiking up to a fire lookout tower when we came across some rangers looking for some men that had assaulted a female hiker on the trail. 911 is not going to help you, you are on your own.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #11

If you google "traveling with guns" you'll find plenty of info.

I always have a weapon with us when we travel, but I never carry one on my person. I've never felt the need to conceal carry. I do carry "bear spray" when I go off on a hike in Yellowstone or other parks that have concentrations of bears.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #12

It really is sad how times have changed.
When we first started camping in the US, many, many years ago, we felt very safe, and never ever had an issue. And we camped everywhere from the middle of the cities to the loneliest back-country sites. No one ever bothered us, and everyone was friendly.
Today, there are many who think it is necessary to carry weapons into the campgrounds because they do not feel safe. And really, I don't blame them. American society has degraded to the point where I am honestly a bit afraid to travel anywhere but the most public of places.
As comfun said, there are all of the "crazies' to worry about, including the Zimmermans out there. I would be concerned about walking around a campground at night, wondering which idiot had a few too many beers and is sitting by his campfire with a gun. In our campgrounds, there are no such worries, as everyone is there to enjoy themselves peacefully and respectfully.
I have many American friends, so I know where you guys are coming from, as they all have the same attitude. I feel bad for them.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

See I refuse to think anyone is guilty until its proven in court! Ie duke lacrosse team and a few others.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Stepping up on a public forum to call label those of us who are lawful Americans as vigilantes = NOT COOL
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #15

I am heading to Idaho at the end of August. Can't wait. I love going to the States. Always have been treated first class. Canada has its crime issues as well. With the 24 hour news cycle everyone just hears about everything. I am pretty sure if Canada's population was 300+ million I am sure our news reports would be similar.
]
[SIGPIC]
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #16

A few points.
Mr. Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty. That is the way the law works in the United States.
The 2nd ammendment of our Constitution is our right to keep and bear arms. Not sure what the laws are in Canada?
You can legally have firearms in Yellowstone Park. Not sure about other parks.
I have a Wyoming CCP that is good in 37 states.
I worry much, much more about the criminals with guns than I do about the law abiding citizens with guns.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skgeorgy View Post
I am heading to Idaho at the end of August. Can't wait. I love going to the States. Always have been treated first class. Canada has its crime issues as well. With the 24 hour news cycle everyone just hears about everything. I am pretty sure if Canada's population was 300+ million I am sure our news reports would be similar.
Skgeorgy... Unfortunately, due to our liberal media...you guys only get to see the bad stuff. I have good friends from Australia who feel just the same as you. But, their news media only shows the bad stuff about the US. We have bad places in cities just like every country in the World.
Welcome to the States!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullskidr View Post
I carry mine everywhere. I have GA & FL concealed permits which allow reciprocity with 30+ states. Donn is right about the parks. Here is a link to an interactive reciprocity map.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I wonder if I could argue that the TT is my second home and it is registered in GA?!
Speaking of TT's and second homes, our RV salesperson told us that you can claim your RV as a second home and claim it on your federal tax return (there are certain exceptions of course). I checked with our tax accountain and he said that is correct. That was one reason we sgned the RV papers on 12-22-11.

It certainly helped us with our 2011 taxes.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
Hob

Country Choices

Quote:
Well, it seems as if Australia and America got all of England's criminals and Canada got the left overs.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
The Old Man

I carry a small (15oz) Smith&Wesson 5-shot .38 revolver with me at all times. For normal daily activities 5 shots should be enough for me to GET AWAY if I find myself in a life-threatening situation (that should be the point since I'm not the police).

Now when out camping, it could be a different story. The authorities may be impossible to reach in an emergency and even if called, it will be a long time before help arrives. So when camping I keep a 15-shot 9mm Glock by my bedside. And yes, like the ranger mentioned above, that's for the human predators roaming about. (Disclaimer: NEVER keep a round chambered in a Glock unless you are in combat or a law enforcement officer on duty with proper locking-style holster. Glocks do not have a safety or hammer to cock and if carried loaded they are extremely dangerous!)

If I go hiking (even on my own 9-acre heavily wooded property) I have a different threat. Yes, there really are mountain lions and bears out there (fortunately no tigers). When hiking in bear or lion country one is taking a great risk if unarmed. And bears in particular will not be stopped by something as wimpy as a .38 or 9mm--especially the "short" 9mm or .380 so commonly carried as a personal protection weapon. So for threats of the natural kind I keep an 8-inch S&W .357 Magnum in a holster that hangs across my chest (the gun is BIG and weighs about 4 pounds when loaded).

BTW, I must mention that I have had both police and military training with firearms and explosives so I know how to handle a weapon. Also, I go to the practice range at least once a year so I don't forget the basics. You don't have to be a crack shot to protect yourself, but you do need to know how to shoot the target without shooting yourself in a panic situation when every nerve in your body is screaming. Only practice can provide the necessary instinctive reactions for proper self-defense.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, travel