Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Hard Freeze

I’m glad we winterized our trailer last weekend, a hard freeze is predicted for our area Friday night into Saturday morning.

Travel with the trailer is over for us until late January when we wait for a weather window of opportunity to hitch up and head to Gulf Shores, AL for two months.

Travel isn’t over for us though, Sunday morning we fly to Los Angeles for a November 3rd departure on the cruise ship Norwegian Star. We’re celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary by taking a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We arrive back in Miami on November 17th. Instead of sitting by a campfire with an adult beverage we’ll be sitting on our balcony with an adult beverage watching the ocean roll by.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #2

I'm in SW MO and camping this Friday and Saturday nights, will use the tank heaters and leave the bath vanity open where the pump is.

Have a portable electric heater but will also use the furnace plenty to keep the underside warm. Probably our last weekend though.

Have a great trip!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Hey Oakman, I just put the cover on The Beast yesterday and tucked him away until March. We're gonna get some real cold temps over the w\e too. It's always sad to have to say goodbye to the season, but it allows a break in the action to plan future memories in 2015. Congrats on your 40 yrs.......it's quite an accomplishment. We'll be looking at 29 next May, and every year I live by the mantra, 'It's cheaper to keep her'
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
WFD

Define what you mean by a hard freeze...got to 14 here last night but not near as cold tonight and warming up over the weekend.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
C of F. Winterpeg? I have been there in January doing Hockey Games with the Jets..
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’m glad we winterized our trailer last weekend, a hard freeze is predicted for our area Friday night into Saturday morning.

Travel with the trailer is over for us until late January when we wait for a weather window of opportunity to hitch up and head to Gulf Shores, AL for two months.

Travel isn’t over for us though, Sunday morning we fly to Los Angeles for a November 3rd departure on the cruise ship Norwegian Star. We’re celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary by taking a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We arrive back in Miami on November 17th. Instead of sitting by a campfire with an adult beverage we’ll be sitting on our balcony with an adult beverage watching the ocean roll by.

Congrads on your 40th, have a great trip all going well we will see you in March.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
C of F. Winterpeg? I have been there in January doing Hockey Games with the Jets..
That's in F...was -10c...games with the Jets? What capacity? Fan? Official? Announcer? Player?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Define what you mean by a hard freeze...got to 14 here last night but not near as cold tonight and warming up over the weekend.
A hard freeze is an agricultural term...means that the temperatures will be below freezing long enough for plants to be killed because they will freeze all the way through.

I've had my copper manifold in my water sprinkler system crack clean in half from the water inside freezing then expanding so I'm always very meticulous when winterizing my RV....don't want any problems in the spring that would slow down our camping plans!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
WFD

Having grown up on the farm, I get what is meant by a hard freeze, I was just curious what a hard freeze was by your standards as far as actual temperature....which is why I mentioned the 14 degrees in my post....in my books thats a hard freeze.. Some folks more accustomed to southern climates think 30 is a hard freeze.....up here, at 14...we decided to leave the shorts behind and throw on some pants.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Hey Oakman I only wish I could hitch up our fifth in January! Have a wonderful time on your cruise and congrats on your 40th wedding anniversary.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #11

Oakman & Norwegian Star

Wife and I were on this ship May 2013 for our 45th anniversary. Be sure to do breakfast at sea in the informal dining area one level above the main open. It is full service, BUT, the ambiance and views are breathtaking. Also, be SURE you know when the crepe makers are open...WOW! Getting off and on ship is virtually minutes with special ID cards issued. Scan and go. Alicja Albrecht was performing nightly in the main salon bar area...she is fantastic.
We boarded in Copenhagen, off to Germany, Estonia, Russia, Finland and Sweden. Back to Copenhagen and then a week in Germany.
The cleanliness and staff aboard were a "10".
We LOVE the camping and beaches along the Florida Coast and may go there for Thanksgiving from Atlanta.
I have all the right stuff to winterize our RV in 30 minutes. Use it off and on all winter. Doing Christmas at Ft Wilderness in Disney. Booked it a year ago.
Make memories and enjoy your cruise!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #12

We have done many cruises, but never the Panama Canal. We did Alaska for our 25th anniversary and have done many Caribbean (usually in winter or during school holidays), but we want to do the Canal.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote