Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #1

Has anyone been to Camping World, Hamburg N.Y.?

We are currently camping south of buffalo and are wondering if Camping World on 5533 camp Rd. in Hamburg is worth a special trip to. I am from Canada and have never been to a Camping World. Is this worth my time? Is there lots to look at? I have read in previous threads that it may not be open anymore? It will be approx. 30 miles each way and would be the only reason I would be going to Hamburg (unless someone can tell me something else to see!)

thanks in advance,

shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

i can't speak for that one but the ones i have visited have quiet a bit of stuff. like strolling thru the catalog.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Grape Escape

Well worth the trip as many items can be 1/2 the price that we get screwed for at CDN dealers. Just call to see if they reopened as it had been closed down last I heard
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

I have been to a couple of their stores. It seems easier just to order online when you catch the free shipping rates. I actually got an email from Good Sam that said if you are a member, you get free shipping all the time. I have not tried it yet.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #5

Camping World in Hamburg NY does not exist per say. What is there is an RV wholesaler with lots of used units that are really marked down. It might be a clearing lot for Camping World but there's no sign there saying so. Even the Camping World sign that used to be on the front of the building has been removed. I live just 1 hr from there and have stopped there a couple of times just to see what they have.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

I just visited a Camping World store in Chichester, NH. It was my first time at a CW. I purchased BAL X-Chocks for 1/2 the price of what the local RV dealer is asking here in Nova Scotia. I also purchased a screen door handle and an Oxygenics Shower head ( Not available in any dealer here), It had a good assortment of RV supplies, but I was expecting a bigger store with more choice. I will likely return next time I'm in the area.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
It seems easier just to order online when you catch the free shipping rates.
Unfortunately for us Canadians; the free shipping specials do not apply to us.

OP- I went to Montana last week and hit a big RV dealer and got a few deals there. You might want to look up RV dealers in that part of NY. The other thing is Walmart in the States kicks our Walmarts' butts with respect to RV supplies- both in selction and price.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Unfortunately for us Canadians; the free shipping specials do not apply to us.

OP- I went to Montana last week and hit a big RV dealer and got a few deals there. You might want to look up RV dealers in that part of NY. The other thing is Walmart in the States kicks our Walmarts' butts with respect to RV supplies- both in selction and price.

Thanks for all the responses. I phoned before I struck out and lone behold they answered the phone. Good think I asked if they were still in Hamburg! NOT!

Then things got real interesting, a trip to the hospital with my wife at 4 a.m. the following morning, our 6 and 8 year old in tow. Seems that my wife is passing a kidney stone...

We made it home today, a couple days earlier than expected and I still have not seen Niagara Falls or a Camping World!

Hopefully my wife makes a speedy recovery and we will be ready for our next adventure sooner than later. Poor girl, says it hurts as bad as giving birth! Luckily we were only a couple hours from home and the roads weren't too rough.

Guess that is the joy of Rving, we will do it on the next trip, maybe!

happy camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #9

We do get hosed in Canada.

Here's why:

Most - if not all - US RV products manufacturers sell to distributors for Canada (Coast is a big one, they have a Marine and an RV catalog). US companies cannot be bothered for 33 million people, a vast area and 2 languages.

Coast US sells to Coast Canada for a profit - who in turn takes another profit and sells very high to dealers, in turn dealers take a healthy profit margin. You probably see now how it all adds up and then we have 13% HST taxes.

It explains why a Mud Dauber Furnace Screen that retails for $19 in the US sells for $39 in Canada...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I hit the CW in Belleville MI & Greenwood IN when I'm in the States for race weekends. Bro & I usually have enough things on a list to make the annual membership worthwhile.

An added bonus is that there is a CW in Concord NH, where there is no sales tax.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #11

The problem with living in the prairies is that hitting a semi-major American city is a long trip away. Great Falls or Kalispell, Montana are around 5 hours away from Calgary.
And if you if you find something cheap on Ebay you have to make sure that ups or other couriers aren't shipping it. They hose you with brokerage fees. If they ship using USPS it is usually cheaper.
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote