Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Helicopter Down

I'm sure some of you from Louisiana and surrounding areas have gotten word about a helicopter that went down in the Gulf of Mexico this afternoon. This happened just to the north of our location off of a South Timbalier 317 platform. Our supply / crew boat had just left our location passing that area when it went down and was assisting in search / rescue. Apparently the helo took off from the platform and shortly after went straight to the water. It pretty much went to pieces upon impact and the tail section broke off. The most recent info I'm hearing on the radios is that they have found the fuselage on the sea floor, with one person still in it. They have yet to find the second of the two people.

This hits home to me, as I've been flying out here in the GOM and overseas for 19 years. It's just the risk that is taken to work in this industry and provide for our families. Please keep the families of these 2 people in your prayers.

Make it a point, that you always tell your family and loved ones you love them before you lay your head down every night, and any other time you have the chance. Nobody is promised tomorrow, and we need to cherish every moment we have with those we love.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
NELA

CRAP! No, I hadn't heard, and my youngest son is coming off shift today. Just made contact, he's already on shore and driving home (lives in another state).

Deep breath and exhaling slowly.

Momma's too old for this! First his rig had the blow out a few months ago, now this!

I can laugh at myself now but DH was yelling SLOW DOWN! (I read your first paragraph out loud and jumped up yelling and RUNNING for my phone.)

Thanks for posting this John. We haven't checked the news this evening. With only two on board it sounds like they'd already dropped off the workers though, right?

And, prayers UP for those two, for those they love and those who love them.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

I'm not 100% sure. I think it was a Bell 206, which is a small aircraft. Would have been 1 passenger at the most, as I usually don't see a copilot on these, just a single pilot and whatever passengers. It wasn't one of the bigger well known helicopter companies such as PHI, ERA or Bristow (Old Air Logistics). Some small outfit out of Amelia or Morgan City. The radio chat has slowed down a little. Still making grid patterns and have found several pieces on surface. I think they were waiting to make the call on divers to investigate the fuselage further. ROV can't see much due to low visability on the sea floor. Just about everybody that can be involved is involved at this point. They won't release any names at this point. Only name I heard, was one that was wrote on an envelope, which was found on one of the seats floating in the water. I didn't recognize the name. George Leloup. Not sure if the envelope was just for him, or he was one of those on the chopper.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote