Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

help shopping for dh

Ok guys I need some help Christmas shopping for dh this year. We agreed to keep it under $100 although slightly over is ok. His power tools are limited to things like a drill, a power sander and a power screwdriver. I was thinking some new power tools for mods to the fiver might be good. Maybe a circular saw? Maybe a work bench? Any suggestions? Advice for the gal who knows nothing about power tools? What is the most useful power tool for those of you who like to do mods? Thanks
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

My vote would be for a cordless screwgun/impact driver.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

I think he would really appreciate a "sawzall". Doesn't have to be really heavy duty and should fit right into your budget. On the cheap end around $50... but you can pick up a fairly decent one for right around $100.

If you go cordless then you would want at least an 18v.. and corded probably at least a 10amp.

~ Cheers

on edit: I was just looking at some of the new little compact and pivoting sawzall's... really nice to have in an RV ;-) SANTA.. hint hint..
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
B47

If he doesn't have a work bench,there are some nice ones at both Lowes and HD along with some verestial saw horse type stands that do more than just hold a sheet of plywood or a 2x4.

A nice stocking stuffer would be a hot glue gun.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ok again tool impaired. What is a sawzall vs a jigsaw vs a circular saw used for? One project I have in mind is building plywood shelves in the basement.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Ok again tool impaired. What is a sawzall vs a jigsaw vs a circular saw used for? One project I have in mind is building plywood shelves in the basement.
For shelving the best would be a circular saw. Easily cuts heavier material and will give you the straightest cut.

A jigsaw you would use when making curved or rounded cuts.

A sawzall is a reciprocating saw.. like a jigsaw, but is much heavier. Kind of a jack of all trades type. Switching out blades you can easily cut plastics, wood, or metal. It has a longer, heavier blade than a jigsaw and can cut much closer then a jigsaw (like cutting off a pipe near the wall). It can do most jobs a jigsaw can, but not on lightweight materials very well.. like 1/8" ply.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

IMHO It's hard to beat the 19.2v craftsman stuff. Lithium is not necessary... Here is a lithium set on sale...just watch the ads and you can get a set similar to this for about $100... As a dude I would be happy with this as a gift.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417403467.282951.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	66973

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
A sawzall is a single blade reciprocaling (sp) saw that is usually used for demolition work and not for precision work. A jigsaw is also a single blade recip saw that is used in woodworking for cutting curves etc.. A circular saw is a saw that is used in cutting straight cuts in plywood sheets, the cutting of lumber to lenght etc.. It has a single circular blade and a flat surface that rides on whatever you're cutting and can also be angled. I'm sure you would recognize each one of these tools if you saw them.

The circular saw would definitely be useful in making plywood shelves.

Why don't you visit a Sears store that has a tool department and look around and ask any questions you might have.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

A circular saw would be a good power tool and very handy in building plywood shelves. Any of the name brands from one of the home improvement stores would be fine.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

The only thing I don't really care for about those kit sets is they tend to change the model designs and the batteries are fairly propriety. So JUST about the time your batteries start to turn on you.. those particular batteries are no longer available and your whole power tool set just became paperweights. Of course.. for $100 you could afford to replace them in a few years.

I don't mind cordless screwdrivers or small drills, but for the heavier stuff I don't use as often I still prefer corded. I don't plan far enough ahead to charge my batteries to make 2 small cuts... and if I'm doing a project.. garanteedy the battery will conk on me half way through ;-) It's a PITA

I would rather just crank over the genny for the 2 minutes I need to make those 2 little cuts. :-)
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ok thanks. I think I get it now.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #12

I'd get an oscillating tool and a bunch of attachments for all kinds of things on the RV rather than a single purpose tool. Watch this to see what I mean...many brands available.
Multi-Function Power Tool

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-67537.html
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #13

If you wanted to pick him up something he would probably never buy for himself, but darn rippin handy. I've been loving my little Truma LevelCheck thingamabob.

It's an ultrasound propane level detector. And it really works!! No more weighing or having to pour hot water over the stick on gauge. They want $70 through their website, but I picked up mine, new, on ebay for $52 including shipping.

It's definitely not really a necessity or terribly practical, but boy is it fun to play with.

It's been really interesting being able to track actual daily consumption by the different systems in my rig.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting tool. He's always guessing about propane levels in the trailer and with the gas grill at home. Can't tell you how many times I've heard there should be enough in there only to make him run to the store halfway through cooking a roast on the grill.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #15

For doing mods my vote would be for a compound miter saw. Its used for making molding joints, like picture frame or your baseboard or door moldings. I have a whole garage full of woodworking and mechanics tools. I have been known to make some furniture in my day and inherited the most of the mechanics tools from my father and this would be the one I would say gets the most use and is the most versatile one of my tools.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #16

I like to get gift cards. Some think it's not as personal but I get to pick EXACTLY what I want. I can add some extra gift money or my money to get the perfect tool or toy.

Asked for this when I bought my TV. Between birthday and Christmas I was able to get hatchie seat covers and husky floor liners. About $650 back then I think I had to add $100 of my money. That was in 08 for quad cab and six years later I still love them. JMO. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Can't tell you how many times I've heard there should be enough in there only to make him run to the store halfway through cooking a roast on the grill.
Ayep.. he and I would get along well. LOL Don't know how many times I've done that myself. You know when that happens too right? When you've got that especially nice cut of meat... it's all coming together... temps just perfect... wood chip are just starting to smoke off nicely... just getting that beautiful sear and everything is rendering off nicely... then "pfffft" it's out.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Interesting tool. He's always guessing about propane levels in the trailer and with the gas grill at home. Can't tell you how many times I've heard there should be enough in there only to make him run to the store halfway through cooking a roast on the grill.
You could always just buy a 2nd propane tank. We have 2 for home that we're supposed to always have one full. Don't ask how well I manage that, though...

For building the shelves- the circular saw would be best. With it and something for a guide, you can easily cut straight lines. You can accomplish the same thing with a jig saw, it's just slower going. I never had a circular saw until recently and had to do everything with a jig saw; now that I have and use my circular saw, I pick it up more often than the jig.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You could always just buy a 2nd propane tank. We have 2 for home that we're supposed to always have one full. Don't ask how well I manage that, though...

For building the shelves- the circular saw would be best. With it and something for a guide, you can easily cut straight lines. You can accomplish the same thing with a jig saw, it's just slower going. I never had a circular saw until recently and had to do everything with a jig saw; now that I have and use my circular saw, I pick it up more often than the jig.
Um yeah we have that second tank. It is usually empty and they get exchanged simultaneously.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Ayep.. he and I would get along well. LOL Don't know how many times I've done that myself. You know when that happens too right? When you've got that especially nice cut of meat... it's all coming together... temps just perfect... wood chip are just starting to smoke off nicely... just getting that beautiful sear and everything is rendering off nicely... then "pfffft" it's out.
We've even had it go out midway through grilling lobster tails.