Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Hidden Gems

I love it when we stumble onto little hidden gems in our travels. One example of a gem is the Train Museum in Foley, AL. The museum is OK, the real hidden gem was the “O” gauge train layout they had on display. We went there on a day when they actually had the train layout operating.

The layout is 24 feet wide by 60 feet long and has quite a few trains operating at one time. But it wasn’t just the trains that made it special, many feature of the town on the layout were animated. The drive-up restaurant featured a car driving up and then a waitress would come out to take an order. There was an operating car wash, a drive-in movie theater that was actually showing an old black and white movie on a very small screen. My favorite was the firehouse that had a fire truck come out and drive down the street to a building that was on fire. There were just too many features of the layout to go into detail about. I think I was just as impressed with the town as the trains. Even my wife who normally isn’t interested in model trains found this layout at the museum to be fascinating.

If you are ever in the area of Foley, AL. be sure to drop by the Train Museum. Here are a few pics I took.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

WOW! Gotta make a trip down there. With the ban on bibs @ Goshen, we may just detour to Foley instead of the rally.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoot View Post
wow! Gotta make a trip down there. With the ban on bibs @ goshen, we may just detour to foley instead of the rally.
w.e. !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote