Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #21

I hear Botox injections work too...

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We have the standing mister fan, but I found something that will work for people who dry camp.

Search for a video about "5 gallon bucket air conditioners" (no time to find it for ya...gonna be late for work) but it works on 12V, five gallon bucket, some short pieces of PVC, a small 12v fan and ice. Easy to assemble. With the Styrofoam liner for the bucket the ice lasts for HOURS.
This looks very interesting.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartzel View Post
Not to jump straight to the panic wagon, but you may want to have your doc check your thyroid function.

I was a heavy sweater in the summertime. Turned out my thyroid was running 50% over what it should have been.

I had radioiodine thyroid ablation done and have significantly reduced my heat tolerance issues.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forest River Forums mobile app
I will check into this. We basically at our out of pocket max for the year so it is a freebie anyway. If there ever was a such thing as a freebie. An $8000 out of pocket max is no easy goal to reach. Could have bought some nice camping gadgets with that.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
We have the standing mister fan, but I found something that will work for people who dry camp.

Search for a video about "5 gallon bucket air conditioners" (no time to find it for ya...gonna be late for work) but it works on 12V, five gallon bucket, some short pieces of PVC, a small 12v fan and ice. Easy to assemble. With the Styrofoam liner for the bucket the ice lasts for HOURS.
Here is what Weezer is referring to. You can make them out of 5 gallon buckets, ice chests (plastic or styrofoam) with 12 volt battery and solar as well as 120 volt fans.

I had looked at these awhile back and totally forgot about them till Weezer reminded me. Now I can fuss at her, cause she will probably cost me my free time, as I'll have to build one or two now.

There all kind of different versions which you will see on the youtube page to the right of the video if you go to youtube itself.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #25

Replace the ice with water and call it a baby swamp cooler.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Here is what Weezer is referring to. You can make them out of 5 gallon buckets, ice chests (plastic or styrofoam) with 12 volt battery and solar as well as 120 volt fans.

I had looked at these awhile back and totally forgot about them till Weezer reminded me. Now I can fuss at her, cause she will probably cost me my free time, as I'll have to build one or two now.

There all kind of different versions which you will see on the youtube page to the right.
Thinking this could be pretty useful when we go to Florida.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thinking this could be pretty useful when we go to Florida.
Yep, a group of us is camping this weekend. I can see myself building one today or tomorrow morning for our outing.

Dang you Weezer.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
NELA

(chuckle) Oh sure, blame it on me and I was just trying to help out a guy who is heat intolerant!

And that is EXACTLY the video I would have posted if I'd had time this morning.

So simple, yet works so well. And I'd go with the frozen gallon of water if I built one. Last longer and less mess.

I responded to your PM, wmtire. Buffy's in for some TLC, but we may run up to visit with y'all tomorrow evening....he didn't get to play golf last Saturday so you KNOW where he'll be in the morning...it's Calvert Crossing or bust!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
NELA

I remembered this when someone posted the pic of the guy with a window a/c unit and a generator installed on his "land yacht" car.

Since you can use the 12V fan, a person actually *could* use this in an emergency if the a/c goes out on their vehicle.

Those 12v fans are cheap at walmart in the automotive section.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #30
CLT

I guess I should just consider myself lucky that I don't live in your neck of the woods Weezer. On a 90 degree day I lose 10 lbs in 10 min here. With 100 pct humidity I would at least double that.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #31
NELA

Aw it ain't so bad 'round here...if'n ya got gills to breathe with!

It's predictable...if the temp is 98*, the humidity is 98%.

I have to keep my hair cut short, because I take meds that, oddly enough, cause only my head to "glisten"....(women do not sweat, we Southern gals "glisten") Problem is, the glisten drips off the ends of my hair! Those "cool collars" put the brakes on that though.

I'm a Leo, and as such we're supposed to LOVE summer and sunshine. NYET! Gimme cold weather any day over hot and sticky summer.

I want DH to make one of those bucket coolers, hook it to a battery and sit it right by me while I fish this summer.

Lord how I miss Florida. Yeah, it was hot there but it didn't feel as hot with the coastal breezes blowing constantly.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #32
CLT

Quote:
Aw it ain't so bad 'round here...if'n ya got gills to breathe with!

It's predictable...if the temp is 98*, the humidity is 98%.

I have to keep my hair cut short, because I take meds that, oddly enough, cause only my head to "glisten"....(women do not sweat, we Southern gals "glisten") Problem is, the glisten drips off the ends of my hair! Those "cool collars" put the brakes on that though.

I'm a Leo, and as such we're supposed to LOVE summer and sunshine. NYET! Gimme cold weather any day over hot and sticky summer.

I want DH to make one of those bucket coolers, hook it to a battery and sit it right by me while I fish this summer.

Lord how I miss Florida. Yeah, it was hot there but it didn't feel as hot with the coastal breezes blowing constantly.
I've never had any problems with someone glistening. Guess we hot blooded types have to stick together...literally. HA!

My brother is putting his house up for sale in Palm Beach Gardens. How MUCH do you miss FL?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #33
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I've never had any problems with someone glistening. Guess we hot blooded types have to stick together...literally. HA!

My brother is putting his house up for sale in Palm Beach Gardens. How MUCH do you miss FL?
If we were retirement age, we'd talk!

I will NOT live in Louisiana for our retirement years. We're looking at the Carolinas, or Tennessee for retirement, with possibly a small place in FL for the winters.

I've lived here all my life, except for 5 years in Tampa Bay where I met and married DH, then made a huge mistake...well, I can't really regret it....DH offered to move here because my parents' health was fading, and 9/11 hit.

I was working in the tallest building in Tampa Bay, and had to literally run a gauntlet of political protesters, throwing coffee on us, spitting on us, etc. just to get inside the building. And it was a STATE government building, not Federal. Doofuses...or is that "Doofi"?

I was Mom's primary care giver for the last 3 years of her life, (she passed in '05) wouldn't take that back for anything. Dad's 85 and now his health is failing.

I *so* look forward to retiring...hit the road and go where the wind and roads take us. Flip a coin; East, West, North or South for this trip!