Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
NELA

Glad I checked this thread. DH and I quit smoking (me:almost 8 months ago, DH:still smokes a cigar now and then, *outside*) and I want that stank outta here! I'ma check out those ozone thingamuhjiggies!

I've washed/had cleaned drapes, carpets, etc. but we have leather LR furniture and that smell is stubborn there, though the furniture was only in this house for a couple of months before the smoking inside stopped.

What I'd do as a temporary fix, just so you can tolerate being in the house for now, is to go to a local "head shop" (hush wmtire, snicker, I buy my vape/electronic cigarette juice there!) and purchase those HUGE incense sticks. They're about 30 inches long and will burn for 4 hours.

I've used these trying to infuse a sandalwood scent into the house but it doesn't stay, or the cigarette smoke is stronger/more stubborn than the incense scent. But they're dang sure nice to use if I know company's comin'! Or just to enjoy a long evening at home without being reminded constantly of our smoking habit.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ozone does not mask. It neutralizes. It breaks down the organic compounds that cause the odor. Me personally, I'd rather destroy the cause of the smell, rather that just removing it from the air afterwards.

Tim
Thanks Tim for your suggestion....I called my local tool rental and they have one for $30 a day.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Sheetrock can be absorbent as well as the wood. I would recommend the ozone generator then a layer of Kilz paint, followed by a coat of regular latex. Rip out any wall paper, bleach the tile.
The Ozone will kill most of the bacteria that cause the issue, but can also cause discoloration of metal surfaces (oxidation).
I'd want to have the place checked for toxic mold so you know what you are getting into. A home inspector may be a good choice who is not associated with the bank or any specified contractor.
I think you are on the money with ozone generator, Kilz primer, & paint and bleach anything else that I can.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house.

A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior.

I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house.

A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior.

I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
Thanks for your comments....the short sale price is OK, but we have alot of 'sweat equity' ahead of us....the selling point is that the house is right next door to me, and it is a great neighborhood to raise kids [ maybe my granddaughter will bless me with a great-grandchild before I die!!! ]
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #16

I've heard that the company Stanley Steamer fixes the smell and cleans after home fires, maybe they could help you. Good Luck !
Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ozone does not mask. It neutralizes. It breaks down the organic compounds that cause the odor. Me personally, I'd rather destroy the cause of the smell, rather that just removing it from the air afterwards. Tim
I said OR Ozone which works as you said but would not be up to the task of the kind of contamination we are talking about here.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house. A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior. I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
X2. Thats what I am trying to get across. Ozone does NOT remove the problem at the source, it operate on the organic vapors in the air, just as an activated carbon filter will. Truly treating this contamination as it should will take extensive demolition and replacement of walls and floors.

Like I said, tread carefully.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #19

I live in a large condo/townhouse complex with over 200 units. The unit across my driveway was a rental and the people living there must have destroyed it because after they moved out, a company called Servicemaster came by with their van. Under the name on the side of the van was "Disaster Recovery Unit".