Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

House Rehab Problem---Need suggestions

Trying to buy the house next door [short sale] to rehab for my granddaughter. It's been for sale and empty for the last year, because of the smell inside. No one has made an offer cause the minute they come through the door, the urine smell turns them off, and they turn around and leave.

I wouldn't take on such a project, but the bones of the house are good and the neighborhood is great, and as I am getting older, it would be nice to have a relative next door.

The old lady that lived there was blind and incontinent, and so was her dog. And her grown children would come over just long enough to give the Mom her insulin and a meal, and they would scram.

There is no carpet, just hardwood floors, which we plan on refinishing, and plan on painting every room. I think the smell is coming from the kitchen linoleum floor, which we are going to tear up and replace. I plan on sealing the underflooring with Kilz or Bin, before laying new flooring

I think that the odor has attached itself to all the surfaces in the house, so until we get everything painted, resurfaced or thrown out, it will be an ongoing problem, until we get done.

I just want something to help with odor control while we are in there working on the demo and rehab....I realize that there is no quick fix, but any suggestions will be great.
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Forest River Accessories

Baking Soda or a Pan of Charcoal may do a little good. Could also rent a large Ozone Generator
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Try a good size amount of ozium

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FEPW40

I know it works great for smoke, and I'd guess it'll help with urine odor as well.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAcessories View Post
Baking Soda or a Pan of Charcoal may do a little good. Could also rent a large Ozone Generator
Thanks, I'll check into the Ozone Generator
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Try a good size amount of ozium

Ozium Glycol-Ized Professional Air Sanitizer / Freshener Original Scent, 0.8 oz. aerosol (OZ-1):Amazon:Automotive

I know it works great for smoke, and I'd guess it'll help with urine odor as well.
Thanks, I'll start checking around for Ozium.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

unbrewed coffee is also good for absorbing oders. you might consider washing subfloor with bleach water mix as well. might be worth tearing out subfloor and replacing with new if none of these suggestions work. a little vicks under your nostrils while wearing a mask will also help keep oders down while you work.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Broken Toe

Rent an Ozone Generator. Ozone which is just O3 instead of O2 neutralizes any organic substance. I've done quite a bit of work with ozone for bottled water companies, and I was surprised to find out it works quite well on odors. they use them after fires to get rid of the fire smell. No scrubbing or nothing. Just turn it on and let it go. I will get to all the places you cant.

Here is some info.

Ozone Generator Rentals - Ozone Generator Rental

remember, you want Ozone, not Ion. Ion air purifiers wont help in this case.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Denver, CO

Austin air.

Austin Air Official Website

Don't bother with masking the odor or Ozone which will not be up to the task.

Also talk with a reputable flood/environmental restoration company and see what they suggest, they do this and worse all the time.

My guess is that the hardwood floor is contaminated to and will have to be removed. Drywall also. Typically, some speculators/flip experts have taken a look and shied away. There is a reason for that. Tread carefully.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Austin air.

Austin Air Official Website

Don't bother with masking the odor or Ozone which will not be up to the task.

Also talk with a reputable flood/environmental restoration company and see what they suggest, they do this and worse all the time.

My guess is that the hardwood floor is contaminated to and will have to be removed. Drywall also. Typically, some speculators/flip experts have taken a look and shied away. There is a reason for that. Tread carefully.
Ozone does not mask. It neutralizes. It breaks down the organic compounds that cause the odor. Me personally, I'd rather destroy the cause of the smell, rather that just removing it from the air afterwards.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

Sheetrock can be absorbent as well as the wood. I would recommend the ozone generator then a layer of Kilz paint, followed by a coat of regular latex. Rip out any wall paper, bleach the tile.
The Ozone will kill most of the bacteria that cause the issue, but can also cause discoloration of metal surfaces (oxidation).
I'd want to have the place checked for toxic mold so you know what you are getting into. A home inspector may be a good choice who is not associated with the bank or any specified contractor.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
NELA

Glad I checked this thread. DH and I quit smoking (me:almost 8 months ago, DH:still smokes a cigar now and then, *outside*) and I want that stank outta here! I'ma check out those ozone thingamuhjiggies!

I've washed/had cleaned drapes, carpets, etc. but we have leather LR furniture and that smell is stubborn there, though the furniture was only in this house for a couple of months before the smoking inside stopped.

What I'd do as a temporary fix, just so you can tolerate being in the house for now, is to go to a local "head shop" (hush wmtire, snicker, I buy my vape/electronic cigarette juice there!) and purchase those HUGE incense sticks. They're about 30 inches long and will burn for 4 hours.

I've used these trying to infuse a sandalwood scent into the house but it doesn't stay, or the cigarette smoke is stronger/more stubborn than the incense scent. But they're dang sure nice to use if I know company's comin'! Or just to enjoy a long evening at home without being reminded constantly of our smoking habit.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ozone does not mask. It neutralizes. It breaks down the organic compounds that cause the odor. Me personally, I'd rather destroy the cause of the smell, rather that just removing it from the air afterwards.

Tim
Thanks Tim for your suggestion....I called my local tool rental and they have one for $30 a day.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Sheetrock can be absorbent as well as the wood. I would recommend the ozone generator then a layer of Kilz paint, followed by a coat of regular latex. Rip out any wall paper, bleach the tile.
The Ozone will kill most of the bacteria that cause the issue, but can also cause discoloration of metal surfaces (oxidation).
I'd want to have the place checked for toxic mold so you know what you are getting into. A home inspector may be a good choice who is not associated with the bank or any specified contractor.
I think you are on the money with ozone generator, Kilz primer, & paint and bleach anything else that I can.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house.

A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior.

I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house.

A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior.

I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
Thanks for your comments....the short sale price is OK, but we have alot of 'sweat equity' ahead of us....the selling point is that the house is right next door to me, and it is a great neighborhood to raise kids [ maybe my granddaughter will bless me with a great-grandchild before I die!!! ]
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #16

I've heard that the company Stanley Steamer fixes the smell and cleans after home fires, maybe they could help you. Good Luck !
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Ozone does not mask. It neutralizes. It breaks down the organic compounds that cause the odor. Me personally, I'd rather destroy the cause of the smell, rather that just removing it from the air afterwards. Tim
I said OR Ozone which works as you said but would not be up to the task of the kind of contamination we are talking about here.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
My GF had an elderly neighbor across the street that had health issues. We would look out for her, especially at night if her lights were either on too late or never came on at all. The neighbor eventually had to be taken to a nursing home. The house was a mess with urine and stool all over the place. We also tried to help her with a mouse infestation in the house. A young couple bought the house and ripped out all the carpeting and flooring. They also had to strip and repaint the interior. I hope the price is right if you buy the place. Good luck.
X2. Thats what I am trying to get across. Ozone does NOT remove the problem at the source, it operate on the organic vapors in the air, just as an activated carbon filter will. Truly treating this contamination as it should will take extensive demolition and replacement of walls and floors.

Like I said, tread carefully.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #19

I live in a large condo/townhouse complex with over 200 units. The unit across my driveway was a rental and the people living there must have destroyed it because after they moved out, a company called Servicemaster came by with their van. Under the name on the side of the van was "Disaster Recovery Unit".
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote