Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

How can I find Campground Vacancy without calling?

So our maiden voyage was to be this weekend. Something close and local to break the ice. An impromptu softball tournament for our Daughter had us cancel and now we are trying to reschedule another maiden voyage.

Logically next weekend would work. It is also a Holiday weekend. I have contacted a half dozen campgrounds to inquire about a site and it's all they can do to keep from laughing. "You want to camp on Memorial Day weekend and you are just calling me now? Honey people book this weekend a year in advance."

So should I just give up the pipe dream and find something in June?

Is there a web site or app that just shows campground vacancy's so I do not have to call a dozen or more places wasting everyone's time?

Thanks
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

It is going to be tough but there are occasionally cancellations. If you absolutely have to go to one of a few specific CG's in a specific area then call every few days and they may have cancellations.

Marty
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

Reserve America will show availability of state and some private campgrounds if you search by dates but the search is a bit inflexible, it won't show availability if for example a 2 day availability if you search for three days . It may be your best bet other than calling or showing up early at a park that reserves a high percentage of walk ups. Popular parks book early, we booked our march 2018 Florida keys week last month and barely got in the park we wanted.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

We have never done this before as a family so we did not want to wander to far from home or a store where forgotten things could be obtained. I originally had a 30 mile radius but I'm willing to expand my circle.

We are in the Central PA area near Harrisburg' west shore.

Ron
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Reserve America will show availability of state and some private campgrounds if you search by dates but the search is a bit inflexible, it won't show availability if for example a 2 day availability if you search for three days . It may be your best bet other than calling or showing up early at a park that reserves a high percentage of walk ups. Popular parks book early, we booked our march 2018 Florida keys week last month and barely got in the park we wanted.
Thanks... Will try this now.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

There are Lots of Fairgrounds that have "Campgrounds" they rent Sites! They have RR and Showers! Most have Water and Elect plus Dump stations! In your situation this close to a "Opening Day Camping Time" give it a try,and report back how it went! Youroo!!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

The allstays camping app is also useful to find campgrounds by looking at a map, it usually has phone numbers , reviews and can link to reserve America to check availability. We use this app often . Good luck.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #8

As mentioned a lot of state parks are on the Reserve America site. If the park uses unassigned sites then you'll find a link for "availability this weekend". Once you're looking at the availability calendar you can move the display two weeks at a time. It usually shows the number of available sites. Here's an example:

Corps of Engineers has a similar system but it shows individual site availabliry like this:

Do a little searching on their websites and you'll find the availability button.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

Have you tried the state parks? Most have electric only sites, but you can see availability online. Also... try Twin Grove (online reservations), Jonestown KOA (also online), Buttonwood, Hershey KOA, Mill Run Yogi Bear.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

Go the following weekend when it is less crowded. Even if you luck out and find a site for next weekend it would probably be the worst one in the park. If the trailer is at home have your first campout there.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
So our maiden voyage was to be this weekend. Something close and local to break the ice. An impromptu softball tournament for our Daughter had us cancel and now we are trying to reschedule another maiden voyage.

Logically next weekend would work. It is also a Holiday weekend. I have contacted a half dozen campgrounds to inquire about a site and it's all they can do to keep from laughing. "You want to camp on Memorial Day weekend and you are just calling me now? Honey people book this weekend a year in advance."

So should I just give up the pipe dream and find something in June?

Is there a web site or app that just shows campground vacancy's so I do not have to call a dozen or more places wasting everyone's time?

Thanks
Ron
Same thing happened to us for forth of July week, lady laughed but then I kept checking on line and saw a really good site open and I jumped on it!!! Who's laughing now honey!! Lol, I'll probably be crying camping over the 4th after reading some stories on here .
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
We have never done this before as a family so we did not want to wander to far from home or a store where forgotten things could be obtained. I originally had a 30 mile radius but I'm willing to expand my circle.

Ron
Too bad you don't live near me. I know of a CG that is literally NEVER full. Even on holiday weekends. Which is too bad because it used to be a really nice place.

The owner is a very nice lady but due to an unfortunate series of events, the place has gone way downhill in the last few years.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:

Ron
Go to recreation.gov and see what's available there. I just checked Seven Points and while there was nothing available for this weekend, I did find a site available for June 2 and 3. You can also look to see what they have available on first come first served. Another option if you want to try rustic camping for the weekend. The Federal Government has all kids of rustic campgrounds all over the country, including Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #14

You could go to the individual camp ground website and check if they have a online reservation, I just typed in a few different days and the one came up that happened to fit our time frame
Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #15

Reserve America is great, put in your location and you can find the parks near you

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #16

Thanks All. You have given me some great tools I did not know existed. I have bookmarked them all.

Ron
Old 05-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #17

Our local lake campgounds have been completely booked for at least a month. Either use an AP like others say...burn up your fingers or wait. Some of Arkansas (Corps?) campgrounds are first come(no reservations). On a holiday weekend this will be a challenge, because others know one must get there early. I am sure if you went Wednesday you might get a spot at one of those, but prolly not after. This has been discussed here a few times.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

The ReserveAmerica system (most, I think) will let you sign up to receive an email notification if the location you want has any cancellations. But, you better be fast because it sends out a blast email to everyone else who signed up. It's worked for me in the past.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #19

Like the other posters have said, trying to get a reservable campsite for Memorial Day weekend, this late in the game you are S.O.L! However if the place is nearby, you might find a "walk in only" to your liking along about Wednesday that will fit your need. Of course you will have to occupy it ( like with a cheap tent )and of course you will be paying for those xtra days, just for the experience of getting a site on a holiday weekend. How bad do you want to camp this weekend?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Site Team

This is a tough weekend to find vacancies this late. The best solution is to check again first thing on Fri. People with potential issues will wait until the last moment to cancel hoping the issue will be resolved. That means cancelling by midnight on Thursday.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg