Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
So our maiden voyage was to be this weekend. Something close and local to break the ice. An impromptu softball tournament for our Daughter had us cancel and now we are trying to reschedule another maiden voyage.

Logically next weekend would work. It is also a Holiday weekend. I have contacted a half dozen campgrounds to inquire about a site and it's all they can do to keep from laughing. "You want to camp on Memorial Day weekend and you are just calling me now? Honey people book this weekend a year in advance."

So should I just give up the pipe dream and find something in June?

Is there a web site or app that just shows campground vacancy's so I do not have to call a dozen or more places wasting everyone's time?

Thanks
Ron
Never Give Up!
I just got my Site Yesterday!
Find 2 places you have decided on and KEEP CALLING THEM or Ask if they get a cancellation to call you! That's what I did... Gave my name & number what size rig, ect.. and got a call yesterday afternoon that someone cancelled!
Never Give Up Same thing with Reserve America, just keep checking!

Good Luck to you!

Camping Rhody's
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Never Give Up!

I just got my Site Yesterday!

Find 2 places you have decided on and KEEP CALLING THEM or Ask if they get a cancellation to call you! That's what I did... Gave my name & number what size rig, ect.. and got a call yesterday afternoon that someone cancelled!

Never Give Up Same thing with Reserve America, just keep checking!

Good Luck to you!

Camping Rhody's

Just like Winston Churchill.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #23

It's raining here today so I have lotsa time to do nothing. I checked the reserveamerica website and they have a bunch of facilities within 25-35 miles of the OP location. Looks like you can do the standby thing online and they will email you if something comes open.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Call several and get on their cancellation waiting list.
If someone cancels they will start calling whomever is first on the list and so on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
Site Team

x2 on trying ReserveAmercia. I have been able to find availability for a holiday like 4th of July and Labor Day but it comes down to a bit of luck & timing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
D W

Quote:
So our maiden voyage was to be this weekend. Something close and local to break the ice. An impromptu softball tournament for our Daughter had us cancel and now we are trying to reschedule another maiden voyage.

Logically next weekend would work. It is also a Holiday weekend. I have contacted a half dozen campgrounds to inquire about a site and it's all they can do to keep from laughing. "You want to camp on Memorial Day weekend and you are just calling me now? Honey people book this weekend a year in advance."

So should I just give up the pipe dream and find something in June?

Is there a web site or app that just shows campground vacancy's so I do not have to call a dozen or more places wasting everyone's time?

Thanks
Ron
I hear your frustration, but the RV scene is booming. You may be able to find sites at this late date, but they will be dry camping, or what they call "primitive sites", mostly at Federal, State & Municipal Parks. Memorial Day through Labor Day is when everything is booked well in advance. At the latest, you should be making your reservations during the month of January each year for the ensuing season. Some folks do make them a year out, but that is the retired crowd, or those that don't have to worry about a job. We try to avoid the big 3 (Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day). Just too crowded, and too crazy.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #27
Just as confused as you

The campground I'm at has about half of their sites reserved the prior year. The other half gets reserved by April 15. They do have a cancellation list you can get on but as others have said you need to respond fast as they send out bulk email to those on the list. This applies to holiday weekends.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I hear your frustration, but the RV scene is booming. You may be able to find sites at this late date, but they will be dry camping, or what they call "primitive sites", mostly at Federal, State & Municipal Parks. Memorial Day through Labor Day is when everything is booked well in advance. At the latest, you should be making your reservations during the month of January each year for the ensuing season. Some folks do make them a year out, but that is the retired crowd, or those that don't have to worry about a job. We try to avoid the big 3 (Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day). Just too crowded, and too crazy.
Actually, I've found that being retired with the accompanying 52 weeks of vacation a year makes the future planning a little more difficult. I've found that if I make a reservation for a place six months down the road a lot of times something else comes up that will overlap that time period. Other times I might have a site booked for a week immediately after some other reservation. If I decide to stay with the first reservation a little longer then I lose the second one. Bummer.

When I was working I got four weeks vacation a year. My work schedule was a week on followed by a week off. When I scheduled one week of vacation it actually was three weeks off becauseI had the normal week off followed by a vacation week and then followed by another regular week off. That was OK but once I scheduled the week it was pretty hard to change it, so my future reservations were pretty firm and rarely changed.

Now I only schedule sites in the short future and avoid the weekends. Hasn't been a problem yet. We also do a few impromptu trips, meaning sitting around the house on Sunday with nothing on the schedule for the next ten days so we'll decide to leave the next day for a short trip (less than 75 miles) lasting 4-5 days or less.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #29

I think you are the first person I've ever heard say that retirement was causing them more problems than if they had just kept working.

Off 52 weeks... Sounds like a bummer.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #30

Quote:
I think you are the first person I've ever heard say that retirement was causing them more problems than if they had just kept working.

Its not rocket science...if you want a site bad enough this weekend, you will blood hound till you get one...
I do it all summer in full sites..
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #31

Quote:

I always thought retirement would be boring. But, I have found out what people mean when they say "when I retired I quickly learned that I don't know how I ever had time to go to work". Haven't set an alarm clock or worn anything but jeans or shorts in the past four years. Camping is the only time I get to really relax because I can't do all the stuff at home that can always wait until next week.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #32

Not to sway too far off topic, but the pp's are the reason my family decided to go seasonal. The good sites at awesome campgrounds are booked a year in advance... and it's next to impossible to get good sites once summer hits. Yep, you can get lucky in some parts of the country, but here in PA, trips have to be too set in stone many months in advance, as the OP is finding out.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #33

I just canceled one this morning for cadorous state park, just outside Hanover PA. Site #97. Have to make an emergency trip to Maine.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #34

Sorry spelled wrong, Codorus state park.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #35
D W

Quote:

X2. Just plain agony!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #36

Got a call back from a local campground. We're in. Thanks all.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #37

Enjoy.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #38
D W

Quote:
Got a call back from a local campground. We're in. Thanks all.
Good for you!

Tags
mpg