Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #21

We didn`t go to a 5`er, but we went from a 6500lb loaded 28ft long, 10.5ft tall TT to a 9200lb loaded 32foot long, 11.5ft tall TT. this was back in 06. we bought the first one in feb. 05 and the 2nd (current) in july of 06. I feel we came out good. they gave us $1500 less than what we paid new on the trade-in. and the one we bought wasn`t inflated to cover any type of price difference. the one we bought was cheaper than what others were advertising the same for! BTW, we bought both from the same dealer, so I`m sure being a repeat customer helped.

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would reconsider getting a Husky hitch. There is a current thread, "trailer mishap", where 3 people had high hitched the same Husky hitch and each had dropped their 5ers on the bed of their trucks causing damage. I myself am partial to the Curt Q20 hitch for it's build quality, features, and price. As for trading in, I may be in that boat shortly. Wife really likes the new bath in the 365saqb.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
Broke and happy

Today we traded in our almost new 2013 Flagstaff Micro-lite21FBRS we bought in August for a 2014 Columbus 340rk 5th Wheeler. DW will be happy. We paid 17K for the TT and the same dealer bought it back for almost same sales price. We still got a $13,000 off MSARP discount on the Columbus, and they threw in the Reese manual slider 16K hitch.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #24

We traded in a six month old 2013, 21' TT for a 5er. They gave us what we paid for it. The 5er hooks up and pulls far easier than did the TT.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Can y'all tell I'm trying *really* hard here to justify purchasing that awesome 5er sittin' over there at the dealer's lot?
Go for it. Obviously you can afford it and the deal issues are only an issue during the deal. When was the last time you made a big purchase deal and after a week or so you were still worried about the deal. A year from now, you probably won't remember the deal.

Sounds like you found what you want... Go get it... Enjoy life...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #26

Hi

Good luck with your search. I went from a popup to a 5th for the easier set up (although I did not realize how easy). Look for a deal on a 6 way self leveling system. It makes set up so easy.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
NELA

(chuckle) Well y'all talked us smooth into it!

8528IKWS Regency Interior/Platinum Package

Someone's gonna get one glamorous V-Lite in as close to new as a person can get.

We're picking up the 5er Saturday. So I'll spend New Year's day moving out of "Francis". (sniff sniff) I even still have that silly comforter that comes on the bed...gonna put that back on to send 'er off to her new, and hopefully appreciative, new owners.

Happy New Year to US!

Hey WMTire! We're just gonna claim that Francis got away from us and hit a wall...smooshed 'er nose in, .....just a lil bit.

Oh, and guess what...the 5er comes with those rocker recliners I wanted out of your TT.

Oh, and thanks guys, for all the feed back;

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
NELA

One of my favorite features on this 5er is that humongous window across the back, and the fantastic fan over the kitchen...dunno if his is new, but I heard people say it's hard to reach for the "vertically challenged"...this one is controlled by a wall switch.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats Weezer!! How exciting to bring in the New Year with a new camper! Are we going to see this new camper in Goshen this year?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #30

We bought a Wildwood 31QTBS(bunk room) on Memorial Day because my wife thought the Grandkids would come with us. After three weekend trips alone we took a 6 hour trip. With the sway, which I did not think was too bad she started talking about going to a 5er. That was on the trip out! On the trip home 3 days latter she suggested we go talk to the dealer. We had a trip from Pa to NM planned for November and her reasoning was why not have what we really want. Had a Heritage Glen 28RLT by Labor Day.

We took the trip in November put on 5368 miles with zero issues! Best decision we could have made.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #31
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Congrats Weezer!! How exciting to bring in the New Year with a new camper! Are we going to see this new camper in Goshen this year?
O...MG! Now there's a plan, Stan!

That would be awesomeness to infinity. Time to start talkin' turkey to the DH 'bout that!

Maybe we can plan a bigger trip over all and make Goshen a part of it.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1367 View Post
We bought a Wildwood 31QTBS(bunk room) on Memorial Day because my wife thought the Grandkids would come with us. After three weekend trips alone we took a 6 hour trip. With the sway, which I did not think was too bad she started talking about going to a 5er. That was on the trip out! On the trip home 3 days latter she suggested we go talk to the dealer. We had a trip from Pa to NM planned for November and her reasoning was why not have what we really want. Had a Heritage Glen 28RLT by Labor Day.

We took the trip in November put on 5368 miles with zero issues! Best decision we could have made.
Now that the deal is done, we're *so* excited...like kids who can't wait for Santa.

This sets us up for retirement, which was our initial goal when we bought the TT. We just didn't find the perfect sized 5er at the time, plus I had that irrational fear of the whole 5er hook-up issue.

I wish I had a hundred dollars for every 5er hook-up video I've watched since then. DH and I were still watching videos of that at 10:00 last night.

I think I'll even be more accepting of the idea of pulling this trailer. Only pulled the other trailer for about 50 miles...straight interstate just inside the LA line coming from MS. White knuckles you bet!

We're gonna get one of those "bed saver" rods that attaches to the 5er hitch...I think OC made his own...since we're new to the 5er hitch up....shoulda named it "Fifth Wheeler Safety Device for Dummies".

Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #33
NELA

Oh, and we'll be doing our shake-down in....

the driveway!

(actually in the back yard...that's where the shore power is)

Prolly not Saturday night...we'll spend that time moving back in. But Sunday night fer sure.

Told DH last night that *this* time the PDI guy is gonna earn his pay. We aren't green horns this time. Everything will be tested and retested. If it's winterized...we want it unwinterized so it can *all* be tested before we leave with it.

We spent over an hour in it this past Saturday going over every nook and cranny and I had a short list of things to be adjusted. LOL....stairway side bathroom door needs the striker plate adjusted. Two drawers don't stay closed, etc.

We're about to be happy-er campers.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #34

Weezer, congratulations to you and your DH on the new 5er. If that is what it takes to make you comfortable in an RV, GOOD FOR YOU GUYS.

we didn't trade for a 5th wheel, and certainly not for the reasons you mentioned in your OP, but we did trade just about a year ago, after owning our first trailer for just 12 months. Traded up to a bigger tt, then traded our 1500 Silverado for a bigger truck.

St. Louis RV and sports show opens January 9. Yvonne says I can't go.

Congratulations again on the new unit.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post
Other things for the 5'er that you may want to consider is JT Strongarms or another stabilizer brand and I also installed Itelli-jacks leveling system that sets the level of the disconnect from the truck and then push one button to level the trailer front to back while you go off and do all the other things necessary to set up and when you want to leave you push one button to connect and it takes it back to the position you disconnected at (no guessing) and then once hitched & locked push another button and the front jacks retract to a preset position without you have to stand there and hold a button allowing you to get other stuff done. The intelli-jacks were $245 and took about 2 hours to assemble. They make life a lot easier and no standing around holding buttons and guessing if that is correct positions.

I also love my intellijacks. They are great, and stabilizers are essential on the front, although I went with winfields, rather than the JT's.

More mods than I can list.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
Always Learning

On the FRF site, in the Library is a PDI checklist that is amazingly helpful to make sure you hit all of the systems. It helped me find out my heater wasn't working (in the middle of July, at that!).
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

St. Louis RV and sports show opens January 9. Yvonne says I can't go.

Congratulations again on the new unit.
LOL! Thanks Mike, and sounds like you're married to a very wise lady!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
On the FRF site, in the Library is a PDI checklist that is amazingly helpful to make sure you hit all of the systems. It helped me find out my heater wasn't working (in the middle of July, at that!).
I have that printed out....did it before we bought Francis, but walked off and left it here at home....won't make that mistake this time!

I just chuckled about what I posted re the drawers that don't stay closed... on the dealer's site where they posts photos of the units, for our unit there's the pic of the bedroom, of the drawer below the "shirt wardrobe" and there's that drawer...sure 'nuff, it's slid open.

Now that we have pass through storage, all that storage under the bed will come in handy! And with the pass through, no more storing the grill on the floor in the living area while in transit. LOTS of room under there!