Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
NELA

How to secure sink cutouts

I thought Sneak and I had put Buffy through the worst of road conditions on I-20 West heading in to Bossier City, LA.

Uhhhh NOPE. There are some parts of 59 and 40 headed up to Pigeon Forge, TN and on up into NC that are downright HELLACIOUS! It wasn't the roughness that was so frightening, but rather the "woop de woops"....usually approaching a bridge. You could almost do those "air lift" jumps like the guys on "The Deadliest Catch" crab boats when they jump just as they crest a wave and then "hang" for a second before landing back down on deck.

For the first time EVER, we arrived to discover our Corian sink cutouts had jumped out of the countersunk area. THAT has never happened on the many trips through the above mentioned "RVers' gauntlet of HADES" on I-20 which just happens to be a couple of miles from our dealer's location.

Our sink is in the island, and with the kitchen slider in, the sink is right up against the stove top and the glass cover for it.

I'm afraid the cutouts will shatter the glass cover. Anyone else have this issue, and if so how do you secure the cutouts? Duct tape? meh, the sticky residue would be problematic.

Just remove them? Or, and this one just occurred to me....a large bungee cord from one side of the countertop to the other?

Fortunately, this time the cutouts just leaped up into the air and landed back edge down into the sinks.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Try cutting a couple strips of rubber shelf liner for each cut out.

Say an inch wide and 3-4 inch's long, lay one on the front and one in the back of the sinks so a little is in the sink and the rest is over the top.
Place cut out on the strips.

With luck the strips will cushion them and add a no slip surface for them to grip and stay put.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
NELA

That might work....but my thought on it is that it'll "wedge" the cutouts in....I.E. the shelf liner forces a tighter fit.

thanks! hadn't thought of that, and I already have a roll of shelf liner in the RV.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
That might work....but my thought on it is that it'll "wedge" the cutouts in....I.E. the shelf liner forces a tighter fit.

thanks! hadn't thought of that, and I already have a roll of shelf liner in the RV.
I am not sure it will work, but it is cheap enough to give it a shot.

I thought you might.......

Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
NELA

I adore those cut outs and the additional counter top space they provide, but there *is* a drawback for me. Just a couple of utensils and I'll lift a cut out up and drop it in to wash up when I have more dishes.

I forget 'em! Last trip out (before the one we just came back from) we towed it home with a few forks and spoons in the sink. Holy crapola! Took lots of elbow grease to scrub off the grey marks they made on the sink surface vibrating and bouncing around in there.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

We put ours in the drawer under the refrig in our 36CKTS. They've never come out.
We have two cutting boards custom cut to fit the sinks that we use. When traveling they are put away in the cabinet left of the stove. Nothing on sinks to bounce around.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

After I broke and replaced the plastic drains in the sink a couple of these found their way in to the sinks.....

Bed, Bath and beyond I think.

Pebble Sink Mat | householdgoods.com

You may need to trim them up a little.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Weezer, Ford beat me to it

This is what 6 Actual came up with "Just in Case"

However, to set your mind at ease, we have been all over those roads in TN AND the wonderful highways and byways in IN & OH (I65/75) and we have never had a problem with our sink covers coming out.

NOW, one day I was maneuvering a Cracker Barrel parking lot and this parked tour bus forced me to take a corner too sharp and I managed to roll over a curb

I thought ohboy, what's it gonna look like inside the 5er?...No big deal EXCEPT the Sink Covers! The big one had simply shifted and fallen in the sink! No worries there since we have sink mats (see Ford's other post LOL) - no scratches, chips or anything!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #9

I use a piece of frog tape (painters tape) 2" wide stuff and tear off about an 8" strip. Put a piece on two outer edges and viola they have never moved again! And it leaves no sticky residue behind

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Always Learning

We take them off for travel. It never occurred to me that they might jump out, but we only put them on when we need them (we have a flip-up countertop beside of the sink that we're quicker to use).