Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

I-10 Pile-up, east of Houston

on T Day - tv reports said 150 vehicles involved (due to high speed/low vis)

one Houston couple killed (from the looks of the accident(s) lucky there weren't more)

did see a 5er involved.........slow down people !.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

I saw it on the news last night, seen the 5er, that is terrible. My thought and prayers go out to all those involved.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Looked like a Heartland Big Country involved in the wreck. Unfortunately these kind of catastrophies happen all too often esp in Calif.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Another rat in the race

Not to poke fun at a tragic situation, but its hard to have even a 10 car pile up in Cali traffic.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Not to poke fun at a tragic situation, but its hard to have even a 10 car pile up in Cali traffic.
are ya sayin' "one as small" or "one as large" as a 10 car pileup ?.....Bill
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

they will make another 5th wheel, semi truck and trailer or any one of those cars/trucks involved, but you cant replace the 2 that were lost.

and jar3316 is correct, especially around los angeles. i lived nearby in rialto, and the speeds on the freeway during rush hour would result in fender benders.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
..the speeds on the freeway during rush hour would result in fender benders.
yikes - only 2 vehicles (vs 100+) but this was quite a "fender bender" yesterday ..... Northern Calif. crash kills 4, injures 5

Read more here: Northern Calif. crash kills 4, injures 5 - AP State News - The Sacramento Bee

S L O W D O W N !.....Bill
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Site Team

I understand the fender bender comment but heavy fog plays a different role in accidents since people can't see much before impact which is how these big pile up starts.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Trailer Trash

When emergency responders first arrived on scene at the Texas mess, the fog was so heavy they did not realize there were multiple accident scenes.

Now driving a car in heavy fog is bad enough, but driving a panel van, semi, and RV??? You guys take waaaay longer to stop. This accident reminded me of my driving experiance in NC and SC. When it rains, they don't slow down. 70-80mph was the norm on the interstate roads. Sooner or later a vehicle hydroplanes and crashes. Then everyone decides to slow down.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Another rat in the race

Although I grew up in So Cal I lived in the mountains, 8000' to 1000' was a regular commute for me and my family. We still got the snow (I think 23' in 30 days was the record when I lived there and not drifts that is everywhere), the ice, the hail, most certainly the fog, and any combination you can think of. Now add sharp curves at the end of long straight-aways, did I mention most of the curves are flat or off camber to the curve.

Now add all the flat landers that thought it would be a good idea to come up to the snow and try skiing or just stop on the side of the road and throw snow. Then they act surprised when the next storm front moves in and they are forced to battle the weather completely unprepared. This happens every weekend that it snows. A commute that takes 15 min in good weather can take 2-3 hours in bad, did I mention summer isn't much better the same flat landers (and semi trucks & RVs) will burn up the brakes slowing down for the turns at the end of the straight-aways they sped up to 60mph for. the smell of burning brakes is how we know its summer.

A Highway Patrol Officer told me once that humans brains are wired to process only what they can see in compromised situations therefore they can only plan for the cars and other obstacles that they can see, and planning ahead of your vision is something that has to be learned. So when fog was at the end of their hood they honestly were not thinking about the fact that a car might be having the same difficulty around the corner and traveling at a much slower speed.

And remember we are all guilty of this, at least once in our lives. As long as you keep moving in a straight line and velocity keeps at a constant it doesn't really matter the road surface (with in reason), so our mind isn't thinking of it yet. It's that change in direction or velocity that gets us thinking of adjustment and by then it might be too late.

I guess my point was no matter where you live you can find your self in this situation and you most likely will be unprepared. My flipped statement about So Cal was based on if you work a 9-5 job in LA, it doesn't matter how bad the weather that ain't happening.

So Remember BE SAFE and Doing It