Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

I need help backing up my trailer...NOT

There has been many times I have pulled into a campground and people come out of the woodwork to help me back my trailer in. One time I pulled into a campground and four different people came out to help. They were all yelling commands at me and confusing the heck out of me. Then one guy has the never to come over to my window and ask if he could back it in for me. Finally I had to tell everone to go "home" and I some how successfully backed my rig in without them. I am not sure if people do this because they have trouble backing their trailer in themselves. Do like I do, when new trailers arrive and they start their setup grab a six pack and consider it quality entertainment,lol, but leave them alone! Any good stories out there.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
There has been many times I have pulled into a campground and people come out of the woodwork to help me back my trailer in. One time I pulled into a campground and four different people came out to help. They were all yelling commands at me and confusing the heck out of me. Then one guy has the never to come over to my window and ask if he could back it in for me. Finally I had to tell everone to go "home" and I some how successfully backed my rig in without them. I am not sure if people do this because they have trouble backing their trailer in themselves. Do like I do, when new trailers arrive and they start their setup grab a six pack and consider it quality entertainment,lol, but leave them alone! Any good stories out there.
Not any good stories, but I imagine that most of these people have nothing but good intentions in offering their help.Whether their good intentions come across as such may be another matter.

As for me,I always enjoy watching people set up after parking, but leave them alone while they are doing it.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I watched these two ladies (with no telling how many children), attempt to back a trailer in at night one time.

We walked over to offer our assistance, and they were more than happy to allow me to back it in for them. We even helped them unhook, and setup camp.

Come to find out, both of their husbands had to work late and were going to meet up with their family at the campground later. These women were appreciative of the help, as this was normally something their husbands did.

When the men arrived, they walked over and thanked us for the assistance we gave their families.

Some people do need/want the help.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

There are only two times I will offer assistance, when someone asks for it, and when someone arrives after dark I will offer to hold my flashlight for extra light.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

Yeah I always figure they are only trying to help. I have even noticed people having trouble backing in their rigs and asked them if they needed any help, so I guess I am one of those people. But I know when to walk a way when they say "I am good". But when you see a husband and wife team backing their 30 footer in between trees and as the husband is backing it in, the wife is pushing on the back of trailer by hand to keep it away from the trees, they might need help!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

It's a lot of entertainment watching people back there rvs in the camp site. I usually sit back and enjoy the fun. If assistance is requested, I oblige without hesitation.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #7

A co worker, on his maiden voyage, with his brand new camper, arrived at his campsite after dark. An employee of the campground offered his assistance in guiding him into their campsite. The employee then proceeded to back him up right into an overhanging tree branch, which proceeded to rip through his roof. This was not a good way to start off his camping experience. The employee then had the nerve to say, "a lot of people hit that branch." To make matters worse, it was raining out, so the employee handed him a roll of duct tape and advised him that it should take care of the leak.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

My best assistant is my BLIND brother-in-law.

I back the TT to the approximate location I want. I then position him so that his cane is where I want the street side rear corner to be and I position his right had for how far back I want to be.

I aim for his cane. When the TT touches his hand he yells stop and I am done.

Anyone else wants to give me left/right advise. If I can see the cane I can tell left and right myself.

I once had someone walk over to help me. It was a narrow twisty loop road with a lot of trees and I was backing in to a site on my right, the blind side. By the time he walked over I was setting up my brother-in-law for the final approach. I think he was disappointed, either in I did not need help or I did not put on much of a show.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I watched these two ladies (with no telling how many children), attempt to back a trailer in at night one time.

We walked over to offer our assistance, and they were more than happy to allow me to back it in for them. We even helped them unhook, and setup camp.

Come to find out, both of their husbands had to work late and were going to meet up with their family at the campground later. These women were appreciative of the help, as this was normally something their husbands did.

When the men arrived, they walked over and thanked us for the assistance we gave their families.

Some people do need/want the help.
A nice gesture on your part.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

i like these people who when asked if they need help politely refuse, get back in, unhitched and then find they cant open the slides because of tree or power pole, or that electric cord wont reach because they need to be over just thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much <>