Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
B47

Ice Road Truckers

I'm watching the IRT show on the History channel and have been since it first aired.

I know there is a lot of staged drama in the series, but no way am I ever going to get in a loaded 18 wheeler ( and many of the trailers in the show have more than 8 wheels, sometimes they have 12) and drive over frozen water like they do in the show.

An question to any FRF members who live in the Manitoba area - are there really that many bodies of frozen water these guys drive across in the winter as shown in the show?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Manitoba has more lakes than Minnesota, and that is a lot!
And yes, they do have to cross a lot of them. The native reserves that are served by the winter roads have no other land access, and flying in supplies is horribly expensive.
My neighbor has been hauling on the winter roads for 20 years, and has done very well with it. And he has stayed out of the drink!
And yes, the tv show is not totally accurate, and some of the clowns they have are not indicative of those who do it for a living.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
And yes, they do have to cross a lot of them. The native reserves that are served by the winter roads have no other land access, and flying in supplies is horribly expensive.
My neighbor has been hauling on the winter roads for 20 years, and has done very well with it. And he has stayed out of the drink!
And yes, the tv show is not totally accurate, and some of the clowns they have are not indicative of those who do it for a living.
I'm totally shocked that the discovery channel doesn't portray actual irt's. In true light.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Thanks for the "on scene" report. I like the show, but do take parts of it with a bit of doubt.

Also don't understand when they say the outside temperature is say -20 and the guys are outside in their shirts
Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'm totally shocked that the discovery channel doesn't portray actual irt's. In true light.
The IRT show isn't the only show that has some doubtful scenes - you ever watch "Black Gold"? They got some phony stuff in that one also.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Thanks for the "on scene" report. I like the show, but do take parts of it with a bit of doubt.

Also don't understand when they say the outside temperature is say -20 and the guys are outside in their shirts
Ahhh, but it is a dry cold!
And when you are working, you don't want too much on for clothing.
But, yes, walking around in your shirt is not practical.
And don't even mention those gold mining shows, now those are ridiculous.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Ahhh, but it is a dry cold!
And when you are working, you don't want too much on for clothing.
But, yes, walking around in your shirt is not practical.
And don't even mention those gold mining shows, now those are ridiculous.
Yeah - forgot about the gold mining shows - but I watch all of them and Appartently I not the only one.

I imagine the shows producers have to always keep in mind what scenes will draw the most audience ratings because after all that's what keeps the money coming in.