Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Illegal Transport???

I was discussing our upcoming vacation to Colorado with a coworker today and he brought up an interesting point. Since your tow vehicle and trailer both have license plates--finding out where you live is a definite possibility. What if someone were to hide a package of what is legal in Colorado but not most states, then come to your home later to retrieve their package? Or follow you to a rest area far enough away from possible road inspection locations to retrieve? Now that I am thinking in a paranoid frame of mind; we will be away from our trailer quite a bit on this trip as we explore back trails and Rocky Mountain National Park. What if someone does such a thing and its found by the legal authorities? "It's not mine" is the standard answer but that won't go far with the police. Something to think about! Or am I just truly being paranoid?

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Randy ,how do you think Your Buddy ships his Poles so cheap! Youroo!!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
I was discussing our upcoming vacation to Colorado with a coworker today and he brought up an interesting point. Since your tow vehicle and trailer both have license plates--finding out where you live is a definite possibility. What if someone were to hide a package of what is legal in Colorado but not most states, then come to your home later to retrieve their package? Or follow you to a rest area far enough away from possible road inspection locations to retrieve? Now that I am thinking in a paranoid frame of mind; we will be away from our trailer quite a bit on this trip as we explore back trails and Rocky Mountain National Park. What if someone does such a thing and its found by the legal authorities? "It's not mine" is the standard answer but that won't go far with the police. Something to think about! Or am I just truly being paranoid?
Wow, Always be aware of your circumstances as in what goes on around you and the people you share information with. This is a worry I do not have as I do not run with a bad folks and do not share my travel plans with anyone but the closest.

This should not be an issue(I hope for you). That scenario is extreme. Then again the saying goes "Just because you are paranoid, it does not mean someone is not out to get you".

Enjoy your travels and don't sweat the petty things pet the sweaty things.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I think the probability of that is fairly low to none. It would be equivalent to placing their "money" in your RV, which would be out of their hands and control...and hope you go straight home and not on a cross country tour. It would just seem too risky for someone to do that with their "money"...which could be lost due to you being stopped by the authorities, in a wreck, finding it, or other things that they would never know about.

Too easy to just ship it via Fed-Ex or UPS. At least they have a tracking number then and know where the package is at.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

I think you are paranoid. They have other methods of transporting their product. And unless you tell someone you don't know your travel plans, hoe do they know where you are going? I'd say you have an equal chance of getting struck by a meteor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
DDC

Would it not be easier to mail it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Would it not be easier to mail it.
Sorry DDC, In the lower 48 there is no guarantee that it will show up on time or at all...
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses so far and the humor. Not worried about my coworker setting me up but it is an interesting train of thought. "Mules" have been used before. Probably too much NCIS in my viewing habits! My running around with the "bad" people is long behind me. I'm ready for some mountain time so I just need to put all these thoughts behind me.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Whats to say the guys taking your trailer back to Goshen are not importing new crops from said state...
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far and the humor. Not worried about my coworker setting me up but it is an interesting train of thought. "Mules" have been used before. Probably too much NCIS in my viewing habits! My running around with the "bad" people is long behind me. I'm ready for some mountain time so I just need to put all these thoughts behind me.
Bad Boys! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4491.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	103266  
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

Now yooroo--those are bad ass boys!

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
... another option which wouldn't appeal to me ===> stay home.
... another option which wouldn't appeal to your co-worker ===> make that dude go with you to watch your trailer all the time you're away from it. He/she started all this!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Sounds like somebody has been watching "We're the Millers" a few times.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #14

Illegal Transport???

Unless they could run your plates to get your address how will they know where you live?

Or don't visit Colorado and go to Canada😆
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Sounds like somebody has been watching "We're the Millers" a few times.
Loved that movie... Almost if not as funny as RV!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I would not say entirely paranoid. This occurs along the border once and a while. While you are sleeping in MX in your Holiday Inn Express they add drugs or money inside your Prius' bumper than get it when you cross back home. This would be rare though. I would be more willing to bet they would actually just mail it to YOUR home and wait for the UPS man to make the drop than grab it. This happens around here all the time. It could be bad for you if caught but most of the times it works out in end... Although I do love it when told "these are not my pants."

Not so much this but just for general security is why I will not typically post when I am away until I am home. Nothing on Facebook or here. Not being paranoid, being smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Unless they could run your plates to get your address how will they know where you live?

Or don't visit Colorado and go to Canada��
Some states it is all public record. For a small fee one can go to a DMV and request it after filling out the proper form. PA used to charge $10. I do not know if they still do this. The other reality is having someone "on the inside" can go a long way. If they are that sophisticated to use a person to mule for them they will have a way to get your address. If they ARE using you they probably already have it. They could also just break into your car and get it off the reg. Many keep it in the glove box. I can be in and out of your car and you would never know it in under 5 minutes.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #17

Life is to short to worry about silly stuff.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia
Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Life is to short to worry about silly stuff.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia
I agree.. I need to go out now and get some milk and iced tea, could get plowed by a Mac truck.. Need to enjoy the trips, not be sweating just leaving the trailer.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Around here the stories (friend of a friend overheard in the bar kind of stories) are that they would stash and then follow you home to collect. The "product" would be too valuable to allow it to be out of their sight.

But really, the likelihood of that occurring is fairly minimal. I believe one of the more recents busts they did was people who were canoeing it across the river in the middle of the night. Much safer for them to not let it out of their control than it is to risk it in somebody else's hands (vehicle).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #20

Some states like Virginia will not just let anyone get addresses from tag numbers here it has to be law enforcement or a legal business that has been given authority...........

Also just cause your trailer has your home address doesn't mean it lives there too.........

If that were the case I would not worry about being a mule they could just come to the house & help themselves.

Now we can get into to the campground that put your home town or lisc. number on the vehicle pass.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Closed Thread

Tags
sport