Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Import Car to US Question

The Naviguesser and I are enjoying our first snow birding experience in our 5er, but using the truck for daily sightseeing is a chore, but need the truck for towing the boat in BC so switching to Class A and toad is not an option.

I have a car, see pics of my baby nigels1's Library | Photobucket

We only get to use it a few months in Portugal so its a waste and it would be great to have it here for the winter months in the south US. I cannot ship it to Canada because it is Modified and not yet 15 years old, question is can I import the car to the US, to which state, and can I import this to the US without being resident or having an address here? I am hoping that someone on this forum is a guru on such things, I don't know where to start with this idea. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #2

I'm surprised the DW hasn't made you sell that yet! 😝

Well the big question is what modifications have been made to her and how much are you willing to spend to make it US emissions legal? By the way, I have it's sister on my lot now- took it in three days ago! In red! Are you looking for a tow behind or something to drive while DW drives the MH?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I'm surprised the DW hasn't made you sell that yet! ��

Well the big question is what modifications have been made to her and how much are you willing to spend to make it US emissions legal? By the way, I have it's sister on my lot now- took it in three days ago! In red! Are you looking for a tow behind or something to drive while DW drives the MH?
I don't want to sell it I've kissed this baby good nite for 11 yearsso I had this great idea to bring it to the US.

Not to tow, just to keep in the US and use when we are down here instead of the truck.

In Canada my Honda has to go to Honda Canada to ensure that it is totally original before they will allow the import!

I can refit the original exhaust and catalytic converter before shipping, no problem, the rest is suspension, brake ducts, wheels, splitter and diffuser mods.

Are you in the car trade? didn't realize?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #4

You could always gift it to a friend, and I'd let you drive it when you were here. Isn't that a great idea Nigel?

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Sounds like a good plan there.

Been working for the same Honda dealership for twenty years now. Eventually you'll make it back thru Vegas. BTW- have my new toy on order. Due in about three months- giving back the blue one and getting a new silver one. You can always buy that one...

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
You could always gift it to a friend, and I'd let you drive it when you were here. Isn't that a great idea Nigel?
These Japanese cars are awfull tight not sure you would fit in it with the top up

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
These Japanese cars are awfull tight not sure you would fit in it with the top up
I'd have a good excuse to shuck off a few pounds. Hope someone comes up with some serious idea's for you and your car, Good luck Nigel and safe travels.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
daydreaming about camping

When I worked overseas (over 15 years ago now) we were told that to bring a car back it had to have been made US emmisions and safety legal for year made. Most people were looking at domestic BMW's at the time which were not set up with US emmsions or safety legal. I understand that is has mostly changed, and now it is harder ot get us vehicles to Europe than it is vice versa.

Check with the state department, I would guess there is a website for it.

I have read a couple posts on my Jeep forums of guys importing antique Jeeps that were sold for export. They basically just have to ship em here and get a state safety inspection. Those are older ones with titles showing they were made in the US.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

When I wanted to bring my Land Rover Discovery from the UK when I moved here in 2004, I went all round the houses trying to find out if it was possible. Even spoke to people at Land Rover, but they were all insistant that it would cost so much to basically rebuild the car to American contruction & Use, and emmision regs that it would not be financially viable. If it had been an old one 25yrs and older it wouldnot have been such a problem.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Anacortesians

Unless it's pre-1968, forget it. Emission and Construction/Use regulations started to get more and more stingent about that time and the cost and effort in trying to bting a non-US qualified vehicle over here would be at least 10x what it's worth and might not even be possible.

I've looked into bringing a couple of cars that had been in the UK family for a while, and it was a nightmare. One of them was a Mini-Moke, which I thought would have made an interesting toad.

Basically, the word was "no way in hell", even though I saw a Mini-Moke being used as a campground shuttle here in the US. It wasn't road licensed, but I don't know how the CG owner managed to import it.