Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Insect Control

I have 2 pugs. I was wondering without harming them, what kind of repellent do you use for ants? Also I was wondering, how do you keep beetles and such from entering the TT where the openings are near the slides? TY for your help.

What do you do to keep Ants out of your TT?
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

If they are bad (and fire ants are the worst) I put ant powder on the landing gear and stabilizer pads and spray the tires near the ground.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

We frequently encounter 'sugar ants' in our travels. We purchase baby powder at a local Dollar store and spread it around any point that the MH touches the ground. We have never had them get across this barrier.
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Boric Acid Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
What do you do to keep Ants out of your TT?
Boric Acid Powder is relatively harmless (the pharmaceutical grade is used to make eyewash). It stays active pretty much forever - so long as it stays dry. It is not a poison but works mechanically.

Ants (and roaches) have a waxy coating. The bugs walk through the boric acid powder and take it back to their nest. In cleaning the powder off one another they also remove the waxy coating. The waxy coating keeps their moisture in, without it they dry up and die!

The powder is available in a plastic squirt container that looks a lot like a catsup or mustard bottle at a hot dog stand. It's filled with powder and a squeeze makes the powder whoosh out. Squirt it in wall spaces, under drawers, under appliances, behind furniture etc. Find it in Home Depot / Lowes /hardware stores - inexpensive.

If you have fire ants / carpenter ants (destructive dangerous) I'd also add the poison insecticide spray on the outside - reapply after rain. Good luck!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

I watched a short article on the Discovery channel where they drew a circle with chalk on a table and then dumped about twenty ants into the center. They were unable to get out. Apparently, any cleanser or talc-like product will stop them. We use baby powder from a local Dollar store and it works great. Simply spread it around any part of the TT or MH that touches the ground. It has never caused us any problem with our very curious old cat, so my thinking is it should be OK for your pugs.
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Poison spray

I suppose this spray would be bad for our animals though. Would the boric acid hurt our dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Boric Acid Powder is relatively harmless (the pharmaceutical grade is used to make eyewash). It stays active pretty much forever - so long as it stays dry. It is not a poison but works mechanically.

Ants (and roaches) have a waxy coating. The bugs walk through the boric acid powder and take it back to their nest. In cleaning the powder off one another they also remove the waxy coating. The waxy coating keeps their moisture in, without it they dry up and die!

The powder is available in a plastic squirt container that looks a lot like a catsup or mustard bottle at a hot dog stand. It's filled with powder and a squeeze makes the powder whoosh out. Squirt it in wall spaces, under drawers, under appliances, behind furniture etc. Find it in Home Depot / Lowes /hardware stores - inexpensive.

If you have fire ants / carpenter ants (destructive dangerous) I'd also add the poison insecticide spray on the outside - reapply after rain. Good luck!
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Smile

Home Defense by Ortho. 10.99 a gallon that last a year or more depending on use. Will not hurt pets and it can be used around the perimeter and inside for all insects. We spray around the tires, jacks power cords touching the ground. We never have ants or spiders. Great around the house too, spray it under cabinets, behind the fridg and stove, near the washer and dryer. None staining and leaves no residue. It really works well.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

What's in Ortho Home Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Home Defense by Ortho. 10.99 a gallon .

Ingredients from MSDS Label ChemicalCAS No / Unique IDPercent
Propane 000074-98-6
Isobutane 000075-28-5
Bioallethrin 000584-79-2 - 0.3%
Sumithrin 026002-80-2 - 0.2%
Coconut diethanolamide 061790-63-4 - 99.49%
Naphtha, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy 064742-48-9
Aromatic petroleum distillates (unspecified) 999999-64-2
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Boric Acid is a Powder not a spray -

I would use the Baby Powder Idea and see if it works since it is harmeless to your dog's

My parents used to use Boric acid at the back door to keep roaches out and we had a Golden retriever and it never hurt her but big size diffrence from a pug though.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #10

boric acid powder

Yes the boric acid is a powder. It comes in a squirt bottle (which to me looks like a larger sized hotdog stand ketchup container). You whoosh the powder out of the spout by squeezing the plastic bottle. It helps to shake it up between whooshes.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #11

Boric Acid Powder spead around tires and landing gear.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote