Interesting...or to me
read and copied from TDR website... thats about 20k towing if i read it right!
Q Tell me about the latest-and-greatest. What did the folks at Ram and Cummins do to leapfrog the Ford and Chevy
guys with the tow rating of 30,000 pounds for a consumer 3500 series truck in 2013?
A Long story: See TDR Issue 78, Issue 80 and Issue 81. Short story: Changes to the truck’s frame; automatic transmission; engine,
transmission and air intake cooling; and engine output ratings combined to give Ram/Cummins the confidence to give a tow
rating (30,000 pounds) that was 5,000 pounds better than any other available pickup truck.
Granted, the 30k rating required you to check the right boxes when ordering a 2013 truck, but the changes carried over to the
2014 trucks and gave Ram the ability to increase the tow ratings throughout the entire product lineup.
So, for 2014 we now have three diesel engine options offered for the consumer 2500/3500 trucks with the following ratings:
• 350hp/660 torque with manual G56 six-speed
• 370hp/800 torque with automatic Chrysler 68RFE six-speed
• For 3500 only - 385hp/850 torque with automatic Aisin AS69RC six-speed
For the Chassis/Cab 3500/4500/5500 trucks, the diesel engine options are:
• 320hp/650 torque with manual G56 six-speed
• 325hp/750 torque with automatic Aisin AS69RC six-speed