Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Iowa Campers!!!

Is there any Iowa campers out there? If so, where do you camp? Does anyone outside of Iowa camp in Iowa?? Maybe we might go to some of the same spots!!!

" We take camping to a whole nother level "
iowacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hey there Iowa~! Sorry...we live further North!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #3

We don't travel through Iowa much. We've only stayed at the Amana Campground.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #4

While I live in Northern Iowa and have had an RV for the last 10 years I have never made it to a camp ground. Spend just about every weekend at a drag strip.
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Suggestions for camp sights near Des Moines, Iowa. Army Cp. of Eng. has been great in other states, but this is the first time in Iowa.
Thanks
Michael Tangora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

we are in Winona, MN and not far from Iowa. camped at spook cave once...neat place but terrible camping. right on the tracks. my mother in law has a farm that we "camp" at instead of staying in the house. your state parks are really nice too!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

Camped at Scott County Park when visiting my mother and sister/BIL who live in Davenport. Great place!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

Green Valley State Park down by Creston is excellent. Fairly recent facelift to campground. Lake had been dredged and restocked. We also like Red Haw State Park down by Chariton. Not the best facility around but usually very quiet. We are headed there this afternoon. We were there 2 weeks ago and there were only 7 others there. Had deer come right up near us as we sat around campfire. Tried yesterday to get a site at Yellow Banks County Park just outside of Des Moines. There are only about 15 or so reservable spots and they are fully booked out thru the end of the season. All the walk ups already had been staked out either with rigs just parked there or even just a tent stuck up with no one around. Campground looks nice but sites kinda close to each other. The campgrounds at Saylorville lake look nice. Corps of Engineers run. We have tried Springbrook State Park near Guthrie Center/Panora. Again fairly nice. Campground is located below dam for lake and some areas of it tend to flood/get soggy when it rains too much.

Hope this info helps some.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacamper View Post
Is there any Iowa campers out there? If so, where do you camp? Does anyone outside of Iowa camp in Iowa?? Maybe we might go to some of the same spots!!!
Im your neighbor in Waterloo. We stay close for most of our short weekend trips. Extended weekend or longer trips we tend to travel. My wife was born and raised an Army brat in Germany so she never had the opportunity to travel much or see the states when she got stateside. Because of that, we like to get out and see the country whenever we can.

Most of our weekend trips we take this time of year. We like the weather better, and this is when most of the state parks have their Halloween weekends. They stager them out over multiple weekends so the parks aren't competing against each other for visitors, so you can go to multiple. My kids got to trick or treat 5 times last year.

We've been to McFarlane Park in LaPorte a few times, along with Hickory Hills.

My wifes family does a "camping" family reunion every July in Moorewood campground north of Independence. So we're there at least once a year. Its nice. Its privately owned, but their rates are on par with the state campgrounds. But they offer a lot more amenities like laundry, garbage pick up at your site, swimming pool, hay rides, etc.

My family also does a "camping" family reunion, but we tend to travel and go all over the state. We've had it at River Ranch near Nashua a couple of times, tubing. We've been to Chimney Rock near Decorah, tubing. We've also had it at Prairie Flower campground near Sailerville lake. Last year it was at Sugar Bottom campground near the Coralville Reservoir. It sound like next year they want to go to Rock and Row Adventures outside of Eldora.

We also go to a lot of the Jellystone campgrounds. I think their overpriced and cramped, but my wife likes them and our kids are obsessed with them. We've stayed at the one in Monticello, and the Dells. We were at the one in St. Louis for the solar eclipse last year. Next weekend we are headed to the one in Bagley, WI just south of Prairie du Chien for 4 days for their Halloween weekend. In October we are going to the Jellystone in Austin, mn for another 4 day weekend.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Im your neighbor in Waterloo. We stay close for most of our short weekend trips. Extended weekend or longer trips we tend to travel. My wife was born and raised an Army brat in Germany so she never had the opportunity to travel much or see the states when she got stateside. Because of that, we like to get out and see the country whenever we can.

Most of our weekend trips we take this time of year. We like the weather better, and this is when most of the state parks have their Halloween weekends. They stager them out over multiple weekends so the parks aren't competing against each other for visitors, so you can go to multiple. My kids got to trick or treat 5 times last year.

We've been to McFarlane Park in LaPorte a few times, along with Hickory Hills.

My wifes family does a "camping" family reunion every July in Moorewood campground north of Independence. So we're there at least once a year. Its nice. Its privately owned, but their rates are on par with the state campgrounds. But they offer a lot more amenities like laundry, garbage pick up at your site, swimming pool, hay rides, etc.

My family also does a "camping" family reunion, but we tend to travel and go all over the state. We've had it at River Ranch near Nashua a couple of times, tubing. We've been to Chimney Rock near Decorah, tubing. We've also had it at Prairie Flower campground near Sailerville lake. Last year it was at Sugar Bottom campground near the Coralville Reservoir. It sound like next year they want to go to Rock and Row Adventures outside of Eldora.

We also go to a lot of the Jellystone campgrounds. I think their overpriced and cramped, but my wife likes them and our kids are obsessed with them. We've stayed at the one in Monticello, and the Dells. We were at the one in St. Louis for the solar eclipse last year. Next weekend we are headed to the one in Bagley, WI just south of Prairie du Chien for 4 days for their Halloween weekend. In October we are going to the Jellystone in Austin, mn for another 4 day weekend.
Head on over to the spam museum while you are in Austin and the Hormel nature center.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Been there!!

Done that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spam museum.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	187182  
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Head on over to the spam museum while you are in Austin and the Hormel nature center.
I will mention it to the old lady. I think she's looking for activities to do on that trip. We're going the last weekend the park is open before they close for the year, so they don't have a whole lot going on.

On a side note;
I just realized this thread is 10 years old. The OP has had 8 total posts in that time so Im sure he's long gone and off the forum.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
We were Very Impressed with the "Spam Museum " Class place! Youroo! !
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
We frequent your neck of the woods too. I take my boy, a buddy of mine, and his 2 boys on a fishing trip every year just before memorial day weekend. We used to stay at Bass Camp, but the last couple years we've been going to Prairie Island campground instead. The fishing directly under Lock Dam #5 that time of year is phenomenal, its just really hard to access.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #15
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
We frequent your neck of the woods too. I take my boy, a buddy of mine, and his 2 boys on a fishing trip every year just before memorial day weekend. We used to stay at Bass Camp, but the last couple years we've been going to Prairie Island campground instead. The fishing directly under Lock Dam #5 that time of year is phenomenal, its just really hard to access.
If you are at prairie island you are literally in my town!