Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Just wondering

Got this the other day and was wondering what's your opinion.

"I do NOT believe in those awning brackets of yours. Why? Because the awning material wasn't designed to withstand high wind forces."
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

yes and no. Will your setup work with minimal winds, of course they will. Will they help in high winds, no. Unfortunately OC, you cant fix stupid. I don't think you ever made claims that your setup would withstand 50+MPH winds so anyone that wants to knowingly leave their awning out in those conditions deserves to have it ripped from the side of their camper.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

"I do NOT believe in those awning brackets of yours. Why? Because the awning material wasn't designed to withstand high wind forces."
Well, I can tell you that I am glad I have them. On more than one occasion I have seen other campers have to roll theirs up due to moderate wind. Their awnings were flapping, and banging around and the only option they had was to roll it up. I on the other hand sat and watched as mine made minimal movement, to include the material. I guess if I was to attempt to set up in gail force warnings, I might have a different opinion. I personally am grateful to own a set and have significant confidence in their ability to secure the awning arms from bouncing around. I believe they can sustain much more wind than I am willing to "test". I like them, and your craftsmanship. Just goes to show, you can't satisfy everyone.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
NELA

pppfffffttttt I'd tell 'em to go kiss a big hairy FROG.

We love ours...SO happy to have gotten ours just before D&D shut down.

Was tempted to post a pic I have of a frog givin the international "salute". /snark

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Ugh...nobody has insisted on using these for gail force winds...just the typical, everyday campground breezes will have you playing hot potato with taking in & out of the awning so it doesn't get damaged...ain't nobody got time for that!

Common sense design to be used by common sense campers ,) (One of the best mods I've done)

Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

I'll say they so help amazingly. I shoulda taken pics, but last memorial day, at Indian Cave State Park in SE Nebraska it was a bit windy.... Counted 7 awnings destroyed in the one night, and that was just in half of one loop. Our awning is larger(20') than any I saw that weekend and thanks to the oc tiedowns, all was well in Camp Linn love em. But ya, a bit o common sense goes a long ways.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

What's "high winds" in their opinion? My old TT had one side leg get broken on a windless day when one gust popped up. Wind takes the brackets and legs out long before the fabric goes out, anything you can do to tie it down and brace up the legs and brackets will help.

Will they help on a 50mph wind? Probably not. Will they help on a 30mph sudden gust? Looks like they will.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

WOW, just thinking I am torn between whether the statement has some bitterness or not. If you rephrase it to what I think the author is stating it reads - the awning material is not designed for high winds so why use hold downs so this person has no use for hold downs - if the wind is high enough to be of concern stow the awning. I personally stow my awning when the wind comes up but find hold downs helpful to support if I am away and the holds would help till my return. I think your hold downs are a good addition to camping and you can't expect to meet everyone's expectations.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
DDC

I figured that the material is pretty strong because any I've seen the awning is usually torn from the trailer with the material basically intact.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
NELA

OC,

You could do a poll on how many people have had their awning material rip while using your hold down kit. I'm thinkin' Carnac would give the results up front;

NONE

I'll say it again; once we used the tie downs on the poles they were SOLID, solid enough that I was able to prevent a fall** off a footstool while hanging my awning lights. NO, I didn't throw my full weight on that one pole, but enough to regain my balance.

common sense...it just ain't all that common anymore

**Lord knows I didn't need another fall...yeah, I said another, cuz I fell in the shower a week ago this past Sunday here at home. Actually fell OUT of the shower...slap out on the floor after bouncing off the toilet...took the shower curtain and curved shower rod with me.

Nope, no adult beverage either time. This neck injury causes dizziness when I have my arms over my head.

Dang, I took this post way 'round by Nelly's house and back, I did.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

I like mine. They do exactly what I want them to do; keep the awning from balooning up all the time, which it will do without them in a modest wind. We had that problem in Galveston a year ago, where there is always wind near the beach. I was thinking of a sollution then with the motorhome, but then bought the fifth wheel, and came across this thread soon after. Same Dometic awning, this one's just longer. I didn't purposely test the poles and tie downs, but it survived 30 mph winds with no problem a few weeks ago.

Expecting an awning not to rip or tear away from a camper in crazy winds is like saying tires can't blow out or go flat. Stupid. Hey, if my awning ever rips or tears due to leaving it out in gail force winds, I'll just buy another one and add that to my expensive list of dumb things I've done. I've lost 2 awnings out of 7 RV's, and that was 100% my fault.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

Almost anyone knows that there is no guarantee when wind and awnings are involved. No matter what precautions you think you've done wind wins.
Wind forces and your awning

The bottom of your post says it all.
Don't argue with stupid people. My twist to this is( Just say your right to them and let them think they won because they will think this even if they lost) what would the world be without stupid people. Boring Who would we have to laugh at
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

Personally, I wouldn't be without them. Where I live the winds blows often and they make a huge difference. In fact, I use two on each side.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
Personally, I wouldn't be without them. Where I live the winds blows often and they make a huge difference. In fact, I use two on each side.
You use 2 tie downs on each end? May have to try that while in FL and screwing the dirt screws in nothing but sand.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Site Team

Cant wait to try mine camping. Many times in the wind and rain I had to put the awning in. This year I think we will be able to stay outside a little longer with less worries

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #16

Just to clarify. I use two de-flappers on each side as well as a tie down on each leading corner. I have been through some pretty bad winds and this has worked well for me.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #17
Always Learning

Stupidly, I ignored the severe weather reports the week before Easter and had my awning out during the day. The wind was bad enough to shake the camper and knocked down the broom I stored above the slide out inside.

The wind got bad and steady enough that I missed my chance to bring the awning in - I needed a person at each leg and one at the switch AND since mine aren't self-storing, I would have had to disconnect the poles before rolling it up and would have lost the way of securing the awning while I rolled it up. I finally caught a window around 5pm that we popped the straps, disconnected the poles and rolled it up during a lull in the wind.

I looked at the weather the next day for the prior one. The worst winds that we saw were at the 3pm hour and it said 35mph with gusts to 42mph. And 20-23mph all day. The awning fabric flapped like the dickens but at the end of the day- there was no damage to anything.

Given my choice, I'd have brought the awning in earlier- but I know have absolute faith in your support poles.

I do think I'm going to try and figure out some kind of deflating solution when dealing with regular winds. Maybe a long strap or couple of ropes to anchor points across the full length of the awning like my neighbor with a manual awning.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Sounds like someone wants you to make them a complete set so that you can show them how well they work......

(are you taking the bait? )

(or did Turbs send that to you )

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I can honestly say I was waiting to seem them in action before I decided to purchase. I like the general idea of them, but so far, out of all the trips last year I've only had to bring my awning in once. And that was due to a tornado warning kind of storm that rolled through the CG. (I was smart and rolled mine in before the rain broke. Then sat back and laughed at all the other campers who had to pop back out in the downpour and hail to catch theirs.)

Despite that, I'm still think I would have liked a pair. And I'm sure once I see them in action on the various rigs in Goshen I'll really want a pair. But you up and retired so I guess I'm SOL.

Oh well, teaches me for being cheap and waiting.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...I do think I'm going to try and figure out some kind of deflating solution when dealing with regular winds. Maybe a long strap or couple of ropes to anchor points across the full length of the awning like my neighbor with a manual awning.
Here's what I came up with. A pc of 1/4" alum rod and 2 Camco large de-flappers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning de-flapper 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	51253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning de-flapper.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	51254