Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Just Wondering

Just wondering why folks can't just list the problems they are having with their units and ask for some help if necessary or say how they are dealing with the problem/s without going into a rant saying how bad FR is for not fixing the problem/s or what the dealer did or didn't do?

I personally think FR does a good job considering the nature of the industry. Yes, things aren't perfect, but practically nothing you buy has ever been or ever will be perfect.

Let's just state the problem or situation without all the FR bashing.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #2

X2 OC. I think some people just expect perfection and need somebody to blame if they don't get it.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

I agree, and most problems are not even the fault of FR but their suppliers.
Also, it would be helpful if forum members asking a question could detail what equipment they have or just list it in their signature line.
On a personal note, I am very happy with the quality control and attention to detail on our trailer.

John
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

X3

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I agree, and most problems are not even the fault of FR but their suppliers.

John
That would make it fr responsibility imo. Its there supplier chosen by them.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
That would make it fr problem imo. Its there supplier chosen by them.
Very true, when the suppliers furnish faulty parts to the factory, it is the fault of FR for their lack of control of their suppliers. It is a fact, FR needs to get much more aggressive in their quality control of suppliers.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #7

What set old coot off??
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
What set old coot off??
Nothing 'set' me off, just stating fact.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

It's human nature, they lay blame where possible. It starts with the unit failing, then the dealer fails them.

Thus, Forest River sucks.

My warranty + 22 days camera broke. Mind you, it's a $6,800 (Yes, you read that right.) camera.

Canon declined warranty. I got to pay to have it repaired.

It's very easy to complain about Canon especially while I'm mad about it. But fact is, Canon makes a great product and anything built by men will fail. Am I happy about how it was handled? Nope, but the other big dogs have issues too.

But yeah, it would be really easy to paint that negative, and I have to a degree. A lot of it is just venting frustration.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
NELA

IMO, a lot of problems become bigger problems because dealers aren't honest about when they order warranty parts, communication between the dealer and FR, and downright sorry customer service, etc.

The dealer can make or break your satisfaction with an RV, no matter the make or model.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

Nothing Sets Old Coot Off. He is, if anything, the voice of reason. Probably should be crowned the "God of Mods" <G>

I agree OC and another thing I wish FR would do is be more selective about who the hell carried their brand...there are some real loser dealers out there

Were I an advisor to Warren Buffet, I would make the and OC's comments a BIG Priority!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #12

A lot of the problems become bigger because owners have a stage to complain and blame everyone else for their problems. OC I agree with you and have had this feeling for sometime. To many times the first post on this forum is to bash FR and the dealer when all the facts are not presented. I love this forum for solving problems and getting advice. Venting is great also but it almost always becomes negative and some how gets personal. I have not always gotten the answer that I wanted from FR but I have always been treated fairly. I know that not everyone has been and then its time to get tougher but the forum is not the best place to do it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
ARLO

Problems

OK! My problems! I'll tell ya. I don't have any problems with my Flagstaff. I did have a few but the dealer, Family RV in Palmyra, got my rig right in and fixed them. Very small items, I should add. We did have a fairly serious situation and FR sent someone to Churchville, NY and brought it back to the factory. Turn around time was about 4 weeks and they were accommodating enough to do it around my schedule. They even repaired a couple of things that we broke. How crazy is that... We have had 7 travel trailers, 3 pop-ups and one fifth wheel and only one was better than our Flagstaff 829FKSS. That was our 2000 Sunline 285 Solera front kitchen. Sunline prior to 2004 was one of the best trailer lines ever built.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

And...if you go to the FROG Rally in Goshen in AUG FR will fix whatever ails your RV for free - even if it is out of warranty!

Yeah, FR is a good company!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

I think the road the user traveled before they got to the forum has a lot to do with it. The excitement of choosing and buying this great leisure item, the first payment and a little buyers remorse, the first trip and again excitement, then the common issues on cropping up on this item that was going to be "perfect".
Finally they go to a dealer that may be running over-margin and look for help. Sometimes they get what they hope for (often depending on the attitude of the buyer at the service desk) and we never hear about it.
Sometimes they get a run around. At that point after that huge emotional roller coaster, they need somewhere to vent with a level of anonymity. All we can do is try to help.
IMHO.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #16

I am sure the RV Industry is like the automotive industry in that there are only so many manufacturers of parts. The "world" has changed all of that. Best doesn't always mean good.. I believe it's the "best available" most of the time. In the automotive industry there only so many electrical, chassis, ignition, transmission and driveline, etc companies out there. Heck Dana doesn't make auto driveline components any more...how many vehicles had that? You get what you can sometimes. Otherwise you get airstream prices. That would take me and a lot of others out of the mix and "those people" aren't working on or sweating the small stuff. IMHO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #17

Had a problem with a gear on my slide, was that FR's fault, nope. Once I got to talk to someone at FR I had the part in my hand in 5 days, repaired myself in 1 hour. Trouble interrupted a trip, FR's fault, nope. We were 300 miles from home, couldn't get a dealer to even look at our unit, FR's fault, nope. Forest River was the only help that we received. When we got the unit home the local dealer "Fun Time RV" said it may take a month or two to get it looked at, we didn't buy from them, FR's fault, nope. FR didn't make everything that goes into the RV but they will stand behind it all. I myself think Forest River does a great job, can it be improved, yep and there working on that. When the unit leaves FR it probably takes a pretty good beating getting to the distributer, out of FR's control. Our PDI was great, I nit picked everything taking over four hours. Still had a slide problem after more than a month of camping, FR's fault, nope. Forest River is a good company that does it's best to keep the customer happy.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
And...if you go to the FROG Rally in Goshen in AUG FR will fix whatever ails your RV for free - even if it is out of warranty!

Yeah, FR is a good company!
We stopped in Goshen and , as luck would have it, we ran into the rally. Rhat is where they found my floor problem and made arrangements to repair it. Great customer service.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
Site Team

I purchased a 2013 and then 2014 unit. My expectations what I thought should be, and what is for my buck comes up short. Several things I marvel at how they heck could they mess that up... My laundry list was too darn long!
Im not gonna be making excuses for the rv industry! nor am Im going bashing them.
I lower my bar of expectations on QC and workmanship and things go a little better.
FR has stood behind us on most all our needs so that counts big!

We love our unit..Im just wanting a better rv experience.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I purchased a 2013 and then 2014 unit. My expectations what I thought should be, and what is for my buck comes up short. Several things I marvel at how they heck could they mess that up... My laundry list was too darn long!
Im not gonna be making excuses for the rv industry! nor am Im going bashing them.
I lower my bar of expectations on QC and workmanship and things go a little better.
FR has stood behind us on most all our needs so that counts big!

We love our unit..Im just wanting a better rv experience.

If we compared Forest River to a marriage who would get better points. I bet the RV would get 9.9 out of 10. And points on a marriage ?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote